GAME THREAD 7-26-2005 SOX vs ROYALS

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:45 PM)
I'll actually agree with you on this.  I'll take being 30 over .500 right now.  It does matter, as the record is the only thing that counts during the regular season.  One game isn't going to bring that record down to .500. And I don't want the Sox to acquire Overbay at all!  He's extremely slow, and is no guarantee to handle the stress down the stretch.  He had been struggling pretty bad recently, I believe.

I like Overbay and I think he'd be a great addition. It's so frusterating though when there is so much overreacting to one stinkin game. We're 10 and 0 against them coming into today, unfortunately a game like this was bound to happen.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 10:35 PM)
You have to get to the playoffs first.  That should be Ozzie's main goal right now.  There's still way too much time left for Ozzie to be planning for the postseason.  This would be a whole different argument if the Sox had clinched, etc.  Even I would be understanding!

We are 12 games up and its almost August. Although these lineups have lost us a game here or there, OZZIE'S TEAM has not gone on any long losing streaks. We are resilient as a team and I thank Ozzie for that. Therefore I am not arrogant enough to believe that I know what is best for the team when it comes to who plays. Ozzie has done as good of a job with this team as is possible. Considering how talented this team is and how much they win it simply does not add up. Until we start swooning I can't find fault in his use of backups when it comes to the big picture and this team.

Jim...I've made my points quite clear tonight I thought.  Iguchi should be playing, without a doubt.  He doesn't like to sit because he gets out of his rhythm....and Ozzie pulls him for 2 straight games after he has one of his best games of the season.  I'm actually ok with Timo playing, as he's had some of our most consistent ABs lately (and everyone knows how much I dislike him).  I'm absolutely sick of seeing Ozuna play 3b though.  How obvious is it that he can't play the position?  Just because some guy can play 2b or SS, it doesn't mean they can play 3b.

I actually think this should be a positive experience for the Sox tonight, as it might get Ozzie to stop with the mass sub lineups.

Fathom, I heard on the radio that Iguchi is nursing some aches and pains. I am not surprised Harris in there even if Iguchi wasn't ... scouts are all over the place and the Sox would love to get something for Harris. With this performance tonite he may have more value sitting on the bench LOL, but a lot of times a scout or GM from another team will ask if a certain guy is playing. I am not one for conspiracy theories but it would not surprise me in the least if Harris gets to play a lot between now and 7/31 ... Iguchi's bumps and bruises notwithstanding.

Let's face it. There is a lot of info we don't know. I just presented two scenarios, one of which I heard on the radio yesterday (Iguchi). Lots of stuff never comes out.

3B ... they do not have a legit backup 3B who's above average defensively. That is sometimes the tradeoff for a guy who adds other things to the team. He is below average at 3B and there's not much else to say about it. They have not been able to move Harris but KW is trying to upgrade in the infield. Be patient. And even if it doesn't happen by 7/31 they can always add somebody in August.

Last ... to your point about resting players after a division clinch, the '83 Sox did that and they sucked up the joint vs. Baltimore in the playoffs. There has to be a balance of giving guys rest and keeping them sharp. Some of the lineup decisions are not totally predicated on Ozzie's whims, as much as many on this board seem to think so. Herm Schneider has input, so do the coaches. I will bet you that Crede would have given anything to be in there tonite, but I suspect he is sore.

Look bigger picture on this. I agree they need better reserves but until they get them, this is the hand they are dealt. So far, this hand has given them a 12 game lead ... not too shabby.

QUOTE(TheHammer @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 03:48 AM)
We are 12 games up and its almost August. 

Over 60 games left, including 13 against the Twins, and a handful amount of games against some of the other best teams in the AL. Stranger things have definitely happen in baseball than a team with a 12 game lead on 7/26 not make the playoffs.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:45 PM)
Hey -- flavor of the month, it's all good.  I hope for Bobby that he doesn't have a couple of bad appearances in a row, though, or else someone's gonna need a new sig.

I've never wanted Harris to start.  I've felt all along that he'd be a decent fill in for an injured player, and would do Ok in a platoon role.

First if you were in gamechat or anything you would know I have been high on Jenks since we picked him up. He is not my flavor of the month. Plus when I was down in ST I got to see him in a few games and was hoping the kid would get his act together. He might not turn out. But thanks for the concern on the sig :finger .

Harris is not a good player all around. There was a very big reason KW got Gooch. He didnt hit last year, he couldnt steal last year. He plays some nice defense for the most part.

Well, now that I am done eating my sandwich and I have thought about this:

SoxFan1

:stupid

I apologize for my stupid remarks. I still do not like Ozzie starting ALL the bench guys in 1 game but once more, I apologize for my over-reactant comment. :banghead

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 03:49 AM)
Iguchi

Jim, I've been wondering all night if maybe Iguchi is banged up. For all of us, like myself, b****ing about him not playing.....I'll be happy if there's no serious injury involved. We can handle one stupid loss...but losing Iguchi for any extended amount of time would be bad. We do need a back-up 3b though.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:45 PM)
Have you missed the 2-3 times he's said Willie's been bad this year.  The point is every single a game there's a scapegoat.  Willie was bad tonight so were a ton of other players.

The entire team played like crap. I am not on willie for just tonight. He has played like crap lately.

Tell me it wouldnt be nice to trade for Vizquel, move Uribe to utility player and send Willie down.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:50 PM)
Well, now that I am done eating my sandwich and I have thought about this:

SoxFan1

:stupid

I apologize for my stupid remarks. I still do not like Ozzie starting ALL the bench guys in 1 game but once more, I apologize for my over-reactant comment. :banghead

That is very mature of you.

I think everyone gets freaked out when we expect to be able to take care of a team like the Royals with one hand tied behind our backs. We forget that no team is ever a gimme.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 10:50 PM)
Over 60 games left, including 13 against the Twins, and a handful amount of games against some of the other best teams in the AL.  Stranger things have definitely happen in baseball than a team with a 12 game lead on 7/26 not make the playoffs.

If the 12 games up and almost August is the only thing in the post you can dispute I guess you are admitting you could be wrong about Ozzie's handling of this team.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 03:48 AM)
I like Overbay and I think he'd be a great addition.  It's so frusterating though when there is so much overreacting to one stinkin game.  We're 10 and 0 against them coming into today, unfortunately a game like this was bound to happen.

Overbay will cost us more than A. Huff would, I guarantee that. Huff is a FA after this season, and Overbay still has a few more years before he's a FA. Also, Overbay has turned into a fan favorite in Milwaukee. If we do trade for Milwaukee, can we get their announcing crew also? Those guys are great.

QUOTE(TheHammer @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 03:53 AM)
If the 12 games up and almost August is the only thing in the post you can dispute I guess you are admitting you could be wrong about Ozzie's handling of this team.

There's no doubt in my mind that Ozzie is the Manager of the Year as of the end of July. How this particular team has this record, I'll never know? However, that doesn't mean I don't think he has serious managerial problems (in-game strategy being his biggest problem).

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 11:53 PM)
Overbay will cost us more than A. Huff would, I guarantee that.  Huff is a FA after this season, and Overbay still has a few more years before he's a FA.  Also, Overbay has turned into a fan favorite in Milwaukee.  If we do trade for Milwaukee, can we get their announcing crew also?  Those guys are great.

I disagree. Numerous trades have been nixed wit hTB because their GM, whose name escapes me, pushes the price of his guys too much/ Can some one confirm? :huh

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 03:50 AM)
First if you were in gamechat or anything you would know I have been high on Jenks since we picked him up.  He is not my flavor of the month.  Plus when I was down in ST I got to see him in a few games and was hoping the kid would get his act together. He might not turn out.  But thanks for the concern on the sig  :finger .

I'll believe it when I see it. But, if you're not going to do that, then more power to ya.

Harris is not a good player all around.  There was a very big reason KW got Gooch.  

Iguchi was coming off of .330/.450 (or thereabouts) seasons in Japan. Of course he's an upgrade over Harris. He had a .342 OBP last year, and was something like a .360 OBP against righties. Plus, he gets to just about every ball hit (and tonight doesn't sway my judgement) -- he's got excellent range, and I think Rowand44 will tell you that. And he's not exactly one of Harris' biggest fans, but he's objective about it.

He didnt hit last year, he couldnt steal last year.  He plays some nice defense for the most part.

This is one of the biggest lies going around on this site. That Harris can't steal. Even though over his career, he's 81% on the basepaths. In comparison, Scott Podsednik's career percentage is 82.4.

Edited by CWSGuy406

Jim,  I've been wondering all night if maybe Iguchi is banged up.  For all of us, like myself, b****ing about him not playing.....I'll be happy if there's no serious injury involved.  We can handle one stupid loss...but losing Iguchi for any extended amount of time would be bad.  We do need a back-up 3b though.

Yes, we do need a backup 3B. Ideally it's a guy who can play multiple positions and can handle the bat.

Willie Harris tries hard and he cares, but his mental game is not up to snuff. He deserves a fresh start somewhere else and the White Sox deserve a guy who's a better fit.

It is up to KW to find somebody like that, and with this team in the situation that it's in ... he may have to overpay. This is one of those rare times in a franchise history where you try to stack the deck every way you can. They need a better defensive 3B backup and preferably that guy can also handle 2B ... and pinch run, get down a bunt, etc. There are a couple of guys like that out there and I am confident KW is doing his best to land one.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 03:52 AM)
We are 10-0 against a team this year, but yet you look for ways to make it seem like the Royals have been on the Sox level this season, and being 10-0 is flat out luck.

You trying to disprove the Sox record against KC defines you on this site. Looking at the glass half empty, and not half full. No other way to put it.

All I was trying to say was that it wasn't a given win tonight if we just showed up. I would hope I'd be defined on this site as someone who actually knows baseball, and doesn't feel like they have to be the Sox publicist. However, I know I say a lot of things that people don't like to hear....and I just hope they don't take it personally.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:53 PM)
Overbay will cost us more than A. Huff would, I guarantee that.  Huff is a FA after this season, and Overbay still has a few more years before he's a FA.  Also, Overbay has turned into a fan favorite in Milwaukee.  If we do trade for Milwaukee, can we get their announcing crew also?  Those guys are great.

Huff's not a free agent at the end of the season.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:51 PM)
Jim,  I've been wondering all night if maybe Iguchi is banged up.  For all of us, like myself, b****ing about him not playing.....I'll be happy if there's no serious injury involved.  We can handle one stupid loss...but losing Iguchi for any extended amount of time would be bad.  We do need a back-up 3b though.

Its also apparent Harris isn't the answer as a back up at second.

I disagree. Numerous trades have been nixed wit hTB because their GM, whose name escapes me, pushes the price of his guys too much/ Can some one confirm? :huh

Exactly correct. Chuck Lamar. Notoriously difficult to deal with.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 03:55 AM)

Chuck LaMaar is their GM. He's asking for a lot for Huff. I never said he wasn't. However, I don't want to know how much the Brewers would be asking for a young, very good lefty 1b in Overbay.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:55 PM)

Oberbay makes less than $500,000, and won't even be arbitration eligible until after next season. Milwaukee is going to want a boatload for someone his age, with his numbers, and his contract situation.