Any interest in Mike Sweeney ???

spiderman

Is KC still interested in moving Mike Sweeney by the trade deadline ???

I think he'd be the perfect #3 hitter for the rest of the season (a +.300 hitter with 25 HR + power) should the Royals trade him.

The only team I've heard rumored to be interested for a Sweeney trade is the Angels.....

What say YOu?

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 02:04 PM)
Is KC still interested in moving Mike Sweeney by the trade deadline ???

I think he'd be the perfect #3 hitter for the rest of the season (a +.300 hitter with 25 HR + power) should the Royals trade him.

The only team I've heard rumored to be interested for a Sweeney trade is the Angels.....

What say YOu?

sweeney isn't going anywhere

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 02:07 PM)
Has the KC GM (Baird) actually said that the Royals won't be moving him or is just your take?

hawk/dj reported that KC has no intentions on trading him because he is the face of their team and they want to build around him.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 02:07 PM)
Has the KC GM (Baird) actually said that the Royals won't be moving him or is just your take?

They said he's not leaving KC, they got a great offer from the Angel's and turned it down I think it involved Kotchman.

Besides there's no way in hell they'd trade him within the division to the White Sox.

From today's KC Star:

The Angels are among other teams to express interest in Sweeney, but all balk at the Royals’ terms: a top prospect or a proven hitter while eating no portion of Sweeney’s salary, which jumps to $12.5 million a season if traded for 2006 and 2007. The Royals say their price reflects an unwillingness to trade Sweeney.

I agree it's a long-shot, but I think he'd be a great fit for the White Sox lineup.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 07:10 PM)
From today's KC Star:

The Angels are among other teams to express interest in Sweeney, but all balk at the Royals’ terms: a top prospect or a proven hitter while eating no portion of Sweeney’s salary, which jumps to $12.5 million a season if traded for 2006 and 2007. The Royals say their price reflects an unwillingness to trade Sweeney.

I agree it's a long-shot, but I think he'd be a great fit for the White Sox lineup.

No gonna happen.....

but I would sell the farm for this guy

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 02:16 PM)
Yes, KC is going to sell there franchise player to there in-divison rival. We will get Sweeney.

How did the Cubs acquire A.Ramirez from the inner-division rival Pirates ?

In fact, the Cubs are rumored to be after Austin Kearns as well.

I am not suggesting that those types of trades happen very often, but if a team is motivated to get rid of a big money $$$$, you never know.....

Again, getting Sweeney is a long-shot....

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 03:17 PM)
and you just further proved my point about acquiring Sweeney, good job. :headshake

In case you didn't realize it, I was using dry humor in answering you Graffy example.

KC trails the White Sox by 28 games - they've already lost the division, or any chance of competing within it so I'm not sure that they would be worried about how much better they make the White Sox - if the Sox were to meet their asking price/get rid of the large contract - but I doubt that will happen.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)
In case you didn't realize it, I was using dry humor in answering you Graffy example.

KC trails the White Sox by 28 games - they've already lost the division, or any chance of competing within it so I'm not sure that they would be worried about how much better they make the White Sox - if the Sox were to meet their asking price/get rid of the large contract - but I doubt that will happen.

Oh god, if KC wouldn't trade a damn utility player to the their division rival what makes you think they would trade Mike Sweeney?

By the way im done.

Edited by Sox Hustler

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 03:27 PM)
Oh god, if KC wouldn't trade a damn utility player to the their division rival what makes you think they would trade Mike Sweeney?

How do you know that Boston didn't make a better offer ?

If the White Sox were to offer a better deal (say McCarthy and one of their top minor league OF prospects) than the Angels, and were willing to pick up the entire Sweeney contract, are you saying that the Royals would take a lesser offer from anther team just so the White Sox, already up by 28 games, couldn't acquire him ?

Like I said, it's a longshot to happen, but Konerko is a free agent after the season, and Thomas' career is in jeopardy (not to mention he probably won't play 1B again). Having Sweeney under contract would not only help this season, but for next as well.

The White Sox probably have the players to make a good offer, but the Sweeney contract probably wouldn't work out for any trade between these two.

More than likely, the Sox do nothing, or acquire a lefty power hitter like A.Huff.....

Edited by spiderman

Right now KW has to decide what our biggest priority is. Right now our #1 priority is the bullpen- and it looks like either Baez or Wagner appear to be on KW's wish list. After that his 2nd priority is a hot stick. And to tell you the truth Sweeney makes sense- but Sweeney is the face of that organization and it would take ALOT to bring him over here. So KW will look at other options- Huff, Overbay, Griffey, Kearns, exe... His last priority will be a starting pitcher- do we need Schmidt or Burnett? Can we aqcuire Burnett then trade him for Wagner? It will be interesting in the next 2 days to see what KW does.