Favorite White Sox-related Possession

greasywheels121

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

POTUSchris that is probally one of the coolest pictures I've ever seen, that has to be one of the goofiest/funniest Sox moments of all time. I think at every Sox game where there is a rain delay, the video with Man Soo Lee and Mark always seems to find its way to the screen.

P.S. Can I use this as my facebook picture, if you say "no", I'll probally use it anyways. :P

Edited by traydragen

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 08:00 AM)
You too?

I have a bunch of Fisk cards.

Probably 2 or 3 hundred of them, all different.

:cheers

I'm the same with Frank.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 10:08 AM)
theres alot i got a hat with a  bunch of sigs, ozzie, wimpy, minoso, thiggy and don pall. i also took some good pics at spring training 2004. but man.....ill tlel you what, those old little league frank thomas cleats that have the zebra stripes on the side, and on the back it says "35 big hurt" they had a pic in the trib of frank wearin em that reminded me i still had em. those are sweet

I had those. I used to get all the Frank shoes when he was with Reebok.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 08:00 AM)
You too?

I have a bunch of Fisk cards.

Probably 2 or 3 hundred of them, all different.

:cheers

Wow. I'm impressed. I'd like to know what other cards are out there that I don't have. More than 200 different cards? I've bought every one I ever ran across.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 09:00 PM)
Wow.  I'm impressed.  I'd like to know what other cards are out there that I don't have.  More than 200 different cards?  I've bought every one I ever ran across.

I have quite a few Red Sox ones besides White Sox ones.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 08:45 AM)
My collection of Carlton Fisk baseball cards.  It numbers something more than 100 different cards.

I have the same but with Ozzie. My very first little league team was the sox and my very first number was 13 so alas, i became a sox fan in a family FULL of cubs fans. I am thankful everyday that i was lucky enough to be put on the sox when i was 8.

But yeah i was obsessed with ozzie cards for years.

For those who get player autographs through mail, what resources do you use to find player autographs. I remember somebody posting a site with a TON of addresses used to get autographs of current and former MLB players, but I cannot seem to find it. I am very interested in sending some cards out to players and possibly have them autographed. Any help would be appreciated, thanks...

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 11:33 PM)
For those who get player autographs through mail, what resources do you use to find player autographs. I remember somebody posting a site with a TON of addresses used to get autographs of current and former MLB players, but I cannot seem to find it. I am very interested in sending some cards out to players and possibly have them autographed. Any help would be appreciated, thanks...

I've tried this before, sending out cards with SASE's. Trust me, your success rate is pretty low. I know a guy that used to do this all the time and his success rate was well under 10%, although it varies. You should be able to find the team addresses in the back of a sports collectibles magazine (ie Beckett, although I'm pretty sure I used Tuff Stuff). I wouldn't send it to their home address if you could get it, I would think that would piss them off. The exception would be if it is a former player that has stated he'll do it, although most of those guys will charge you. I sent out like 100 to players in various sports when I was younger. I remember getting back like 3/4 of them unsigned with aplications for their fan club or stock pictures that they send out. I never heard back from a several, and I think I only got a couple back signed. Two things that might improve your chances. First, include some kind of personalized letter with the cards. I was way too lazy to do that at the time, which probably explains some of my problems. I also only sent them out to pretty big name players. Some lesser players might supply a better and more timely response.

As for the Sox items, I have a throwback hat with the hitman on it that I wear all the time. I also really like the pictures/sigs I got when I was on the field during batting practice (even if the two solo-sig items were Maggs and CLee). My Maggs jersey was also a favorite before this offseason. I'm still trying to get a really cool item to put on display, like a signed '59 ball or a Thomas jersey. I've got some neat Bears/Bulls/Hawks stuff, but no major Sox items as of yet.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 12:51 AM)
I've tried this before, sending out cards with SASE's. Trust me, your success rate is pretty low. I know a guy that used to do this all the time and his success rate was well under 10%, although it varies. You should be able to find the team addresses in the back of a sports collectibles magazine (ie Beckett, although I'm pretty sure I used Tuff Stuff). I wouldn't send it to their home address if you could get it, I would think that would piss them off. The exception would be if it is a former player that has stated he'll do it, although most of those guys will charge you. I sent out like 100 to players in various sports when I was younger. I remember getting back like 3/4 of them unsigned with aplications for their fan club or stock pictures that they send out. I never heard back from a several, and I think I only got a couple back signed. Two things that might improve your chances. First, include some kind of personalized letter with the cards. I was way too lazy to do that at the time, which probably explains some of my problems. I also only sent them out to pretty big name players. Some lesser players might supply a better and more timely response.

Wow! Thanks for the great info. I woudln't even try to send a card or oic without at least a small letter. I was thinking about sending a few acrds individually to different people but using the Cell's address. Kinda like this:

Harold Baines

Chicago White Sox

333 W. 35th Street

Chicago, IL 60616

In the envolope, I would send the card (in something protective), a letter asking for an autograph and with some background info on my fandom, and a self-addressed return-envelope. I hear about a lot of successes to Dustin Hermanson though...

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 11:57 PM)
Wow! Thanks for the great info. I woudln't even try to send a card or oic without at least a small letter. I was thinking about sending a few acrds individually to different people but using the Cell's address. Kinda like this:

Harold Baines

Chicago White Sox

333 W. 35th Street

Chicago, IL 60616

In the envolope, I would send the card (in something protective), a letter asking for an autograph and with some background info on my fandom, and a self-addressed return-envelope. I hear about a lot of successes to Dustin Hermanson though...

If you stick with Sox players you should probably be fine. I think the least well known players at the time (around 1996) I sent them out were Kevin Garnett and Warrick Dunn. Frankly, I don't know why I wasted my time with some of them, like MJ and Scotty, Frank, Griffey, ect. The time and money I wasted when I was younger...

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 01:05 AM)
If you stick with Sox players you should probably be fine. I think the least well known players at the time (around 1996) I sent them out were Kevin Garnett and Warrick Dunn. Frankly, I don't know why I wasted my time with some of them, like MJ and Scotty, Frank, Griffey, ect. The time and money I wasted when I was younger...

Well, if I;, sticking to Sox player/personell, I'm sending:

Kenny Williams - 1989 Topps

Mark Buehrle - 2005 Topps Chrome

Ozzie Guillen - 1988 Donruss

Harold Baines - 1981 Topps Rookie

Question -- Anyone think AJ woudl get pissed if I sent him a 2005 Chrome Topps card with him in a Giants uni??? Also, is there any use in sending anything to Gooch???

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 12:05 AM)

I've tried on Griffey...more than once. :) :(

I have Jamie Navarro's cap from 97 - it's my good luck cap, believe it or not. Too bad it didn't work for him.

The CD single "3-5 The White Sox Got 'Em Open Up Wide", sung by some unknown person but featuring Frank Thomas (at least his name is on the insert), and released on his then record company. Weird.