Official College Football Thread

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 12:34 PM)
Ok, I need to hear Jason and Cheat come out and admit they were cocky and wrong about their s***ty Iowa team. I'm so sick of hearing about how Iowa finally has everything in gear and they can play with anyone in the country. BULLs***. It's a bad Iowa team that had no place in the top 25 or on a New Year's Bowl game. Thank you Florida for beating the living s*** out of this joke of a team.

Do you think Michigan who beat Iowa at home should've been in the Outback instead. I think Michigan would've provided a more competitive game. Even their losses have been very close. I knew Florida was gonna blow Iowa out.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(farmteam @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 02:41 PM)
Was it just me, or at the end of that QB run by Marcus Vick (it was at the same time when they were interviewing Michael Vick), did he stomp on that defender's calf with spike?

he did, they didn't see it.

QUOTE(ilsox7 @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 02:51 PM)
Another blown call ruins a possible great ending in the Iowa game.  They need to start firing these officials and making it public that they have been canned.  These guys are simply awful.

Yes, that is a great plan to find better officials.

Iowa really just decided they didn't want to play today until the 4th quarter. They had a chance to tie the game taken away, but were outplayed overall today. It's a shame Michigan and Iowa were screwed by the refs, but I despise both those teams and their obnoxious fans, so I can't say I feel bad.

QUOTE(Spiff @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 01:57 PM)
Yes, that is a great plan to find better officials.

It's called being accountable. These guys are not being held accountable for their gross errors. They are officiating public games that bring in millions upon millions of dollars to these universities. To allow such errors to go unpunished is inappropriate. And because it is a public event, any consequences should be made public.

Holding people accountable for their actions often makes for more quality work.

Iowa was the one down 31-7. Next time don't wait 3 quarters to play well. The refs didn't help and i thought it was an awful call however the refs weren't responsible for Iowa getting down 31-7. Although Conference USA officials calling a game between an SEC team and a BIG 10 team is a joke.

QUOTE(ilsox7 @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 03:03 PM)
It's called being accountable.  These guys are not being held accountable for their gross errors.  They are officiating public games that bring in millions upon millions of dollars to these universities.  To allow such errors to go unpunished is inappropriate.  And because it is a public event, any consequences should be made public. 

Holding people accountable for their actions often makes for more quality work.

You don't fire them and publicly humiliate them because they miss a call, use your brain for five seconds. Do you honestly think if they do that that anyone is going to want to ref games with that possibility hanging over their head? Just cause you're bitter doesn't mean there should be a public lynching.

QUOTE(Spiff @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 02:17 PM)
You don't fire them and publicly humiliate them because they miss a call, use your brain for five seconds.  Do you honestly think if they do that that anyone is going to want to ref games with that possibility hanging over their head?  Just cause you're bitter doesn't mean there should be a public lynching.

First of all, don't tell me to use my brain for 5 seconds.

Second, I am not an Iowa fan. Never have been, never will be.

Third, this world and every business functions on being held accountable. College football is a public event. Just as public corporations are required to make aspects of their company known to the public, college sports should make aspects of their operation known to the public. Officials are an integral part of sporting events. Just like, say, expenses are an integral part of a business. When people screw up and overspend, you're damn right it's made known to the public and there are consequences. Just as there should be consequences for these officials.

A simple press release stating: So and so was relieved of his duties as an offical for XXX Conference would be easy enough. Again, there should be accountability.

How's that for using my brain?

Edited by ilsox7

QUOTE(ilsox7 @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 02:23 PM)

Second, I am not an Iowa fan.  Never have been, never will be.

Third, this world and every business functions on being held accountable.  College football is a public event.  Just as public corporations are required to make aspects of their company known to the public, college sports should make aspects of their operation known to the public.  Officials are an integral part of sporting events.  Just like, say, expenses are an integral part of a business.  When people screw up and overspend, you're damn right it's made known to the public and there are consequences.  Just as there should be consequences for these officials.

A simple press release stating: So and so was relieved of his duties as an offical for XXX Conference would be easy enough.  Again, there should be accountability.

How about just not having Sun Belt and Conference USA officials calling games if neither a Conference USA team or a Sun Belt team is in it.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)
Iowa was the one down 31-7.  Next time don't wait 3 quarters to play well.  The refs didn't help and i thought it was an awful call however the refs weren't responsible for Iowa getting down 31-7.  Although Conference USA officials calling a game between an SEC team and a BIG 10 team is a joke.

I don't think anyone is saying the game was lost b/c of the officiating. Just like Michigan, Iowa pretty much sucked for most of the game. But blatant errors by officiating crews are all too common and they need to be held accountable for their erroneous actions.

QUOTE(ilsox7 @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 02:25 PM)
I don't think anyone is saying the game was lost b/c of the officiating.  Just like Michigan, Iowa pretty much sucked for most of the game.  But blatant errors by officiating crews are all too common and they need to be held accountable for their erroneous actions.

i agree but these refs weren't put in a good situation to begin with.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 02:25 PM)
How about just not having Sun Belt and Conference USA officials calling games if neither a Conference USA team or a Sun Belt team is in it.

That's a possible solution. If "lesser" conferences also have lesser officials, then they should not be used for big time games. It is well known that the better the teams/athletes, the quicker the action on the field and therefore, the more difficult it is to officiate.

The bottom line is that the guys continuously blowing calls that are not even close needs to stop. If the NCAA wasn't so lazy, maybe there would already be a solution.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 03:25 PM)

And if they had a Big 10 of Big 12 official doing your game, someone would be b****ing about favortism.

The same goes if there were SEC or Big 10 officials doing today's game.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 02:27 PM)
And if they had a Big 10 of Big 12 official doing your game, someone would be b****ing about favortism.

Yea, but in a game with Big 10 and Big 12 teams, you use a Pac 10 or SEC officiating crew. There are plenty of solutions out there, but the NCAA is a horrid operation to begin with, so I doubt they will get this right.

QUOTE(ilsox7 @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 03:23 PM)

Second, I am not an Iowa fan.  Never have been, never will be.

Third, this world and every business functions on being held accountable.  College football is a public event.  Just as public corporations are required to make aspects of their company known to the public, college sports should make aspects of their operation known to the public.  Officials are an integral part of sporting events.  Just like, say, expenses are an integral part of a business.  When people screw up and overspend, you're damn right it's made known to the public and there are consequences.  Just as there should be consequences for these officials.

A simple press release stating: So and so was relieved of his duties as an offical for XXX Conference would be easy enough.  Again, there should be accountability.

It's not. If you fire every ref who makes a bad call you won't have any refs left. They're human, mistakes happen, etc etc. Comparing a bowl game to a corporation? Ok, kind of a stretch. Who is going to be the one firing these refs? The conferences, and they aren't going to do that because of some bowl game.

A better idea would be hiring the refs full-time, but no let's just fire them all until there's no more left.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 02:27 PM)

You use SEC officials. They would know how to use replay at least. I also highly doubt that they give a f***. They would call a fair game.

QUOTE(Spiff @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 02:30 PM)
It's not.  If you fire every ref who makes a bad call you won't have any refs left.  They're human, mistakes happen, etc etc.  Comparing a bowl game to a corporation?  Ok, kind of a stretch.  Who is going to be the one firing these refs?  The conferences, and they aren't going to do that because of some bowl game.

A better idea would be hiring the refs full-time, but no let's just fire them all until there's no more left.

Where did I say you fire a ref for every bad call they make? I didn't.

But you hold them accountable for their actions. When their errors are gross errors, an equal consequence needs to be implemented.

When their errors are not gross, but are constant and significant, you again need to implement appropriate consequences.

As for the analogy about a corporation, it can be anything: politics, school grades, etc. Everywhere in life there is accountability. And when you are working on the scale of a nationally televised event that is a multi-million dollar event, you're damn right that any errors by an official, coach, player, or sponsor are to be held accountable and in a public forum.

It's obvious that even theb est officials will make bad calls. But when you get a crew that constantly gets things wrong, then yes, dismissal is possibly an appropriate consequence. The bottom line is that after tonight's Sportscenter, no one will ever hear about any of the errors the officials made today and those guys will go on doing their job, whether or not they do a good job or not.

As for there not being any officials left or them being humiliated: these guys know what they are getting into when they take the job. Just like a politician who knows he is in a public office and must be accountable. Or an office in a corporation knows that if he grossly mis-states the company's earnings that he will be held accountable in a public forum.

Your mention of full-time officials is a good idea and has been floated around the NCAA for some time now. But they are too stupid (the NCAA) to implement it. That's what happens when you allow Myles Brand to run an organization. He runs everything he touches into the ground.

Edited by ilsox7

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 02:35 PM)
Was the officiating fine except for that one play or was it like the Michigan game where they were missing all of the calls?

There was also a very poor call in the first half. Iowa was called for a helmet-to-helmet hit that I believe extended a drive for UF and UF eventually scored. It wasn't the right call.

Iowa was also called for running into the kicker which extended a Florida drive. Was a close call...could have probly gone either way, so not a huge deal. That's about all I saw of the game.