Official College Football Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 11:09 PM)
Some of you guys were spot on when you said Oregon deserved a BCS bid over Notre Dame........

There were no at-large bids in the BCS this year, therefore by those rules no one else had a claim to a bid. Had there been an at-large bid, many of us supported an Oregon bid over an ND bid did so not based upon who was the better team, but who actually deserved the bid. Sound crazy? It sure is. But the set-up of the current BCS is to reward teams who earn the bid over the course of a whole season and not the team that actually may be better. Basically, the system blows.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 11:59 PM)
I have said it once and I will say it again: Steve Breaston is an average WR.  He is a very exciting player to watch however he has yet to make the leap that most people expected him to make.  Did you know who The Sporting News ranked as the #1 WR in the country before the year started?  It was Breaston.  I was shocked to see that.  He is a great KR or PR but he isn't a great Wide Receiver.

BEST.QUOTE.EVAR.

Somebody search through this very thread. 30 or 40 pages ago, Breston was walking on water to make catches.

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 04:06 AM)
BEST.QUOTE.EVAR.

Somebody search through this very thread. 30 or 40 pages ago, Breston was walking on water to make catches.

If you ever watched a Michigan game you would realize that Breaston isn't a great receiver and isn't even the best receiver on his team. BTW the second best receiver in the nation according to TSN is Ted Ginn. Wow they need to get their heads checked.

Well Folks, I'm off to the Fiesta Bowl to support the Irish. Hopefully we'll put on a good showing...as many of the bowls thus far have been rather exciting. Enjoy the massive amount of football in the next 4 days, and Go Irish!

EDIT: Aw what the heck, here's my completely biased prediction: ND 31 OSU 28 :P

Edited by Fotop

Yes, the Pac 10 is folding like nobodies business, just as I predicted.

ND may lose to OSU, but they won't get blown out and everyone who said Oregon was more deserving of a bowl game can just shove it.

That said USC is a great football team and they can beat Texas. I don't know if they will, but its gonna be a hell of a game.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 02:17 PM)
ND may lose to OSU, but they won't get blown out and everyone who said Oregon was more deserving of a bowl game can just shove it.

I don't feel like arguing over the whole bcs crap again cause I think all of us can agree that the bs is garbage but I was never arguing who was better between ND and Oregon though I don't think ND is very good. That being said I was arguing that when you look at their whole bodies of work in the season that Oregon deserved to be there more. It's all moot anyways since ND ended up with an auto bid.

IOWA STATE FOOTBALL

Flynn’s blind friend will ’see’ game

Prep teammate will return favor for years of support by attending Houston Bowl

By John Riehl The Gazette

DEER PARK, Texas — Iowa State receiver Austin Flynn will have one of his biggest fans seated in Row 1 on the 50-yard line behind the Cyclones bench for Saturday’s Houston Bowl at Reliant Stadium.

Flynn’s hometown friend Blake Boudreaux, of Deer Park, purchased two tickets on e-Bay for $275 for him and his girlfriend. There’s no way he was going to miss this game. He won’t see it, t h o u g h . Boudreaux is legally blind, with about 5-percent vision, after being diagnosed with cancer in both eyes at age 14 months.

That handicap didn’t stop Boudreaux from playing football with Flynn at Deer Park High School. Boudreaux was a back-up center, and Flynn was the starting quarterback.

‘‘That would be my dream to play at that kind of level. Since I’m not able to, it’s the second-best thing to have one of my close buddies playing at that level and me being there supporting him,’’ said Boudreaux, 21, who said he will be able to make out Flynn’s jersey when he’s on the sideline but will have to rely on sound and radio to follow the game’s progress.

Boudreaux is returning the favor for all the support Flynn has shown him since they became friends in junior high school. During their playing days, Flynn went out of his way to help Boudreaux.

‘‘He wasn’t like any other teammate. He was there for me and supported me, helping me on the field as well as off,’’ Boudreaux said. ‘‘It was tough being out there and not being able to see. Austin always made sure I knew where I was going.’’

Flynn’s return to Houston with his Iowa State teammates has been eagerly anticipated by family and friends. His father Harold, mother Rita, younger sister Lauren, and high school coach David Elmore attended Thursday morning’s practice.

‘‘They never get to come see me practice. A lot of friends and family get to come and see me,’’ said Flynn, 21. ’’A lot of them don’t get to see me play a game. It will nice to see them after the game. It’s special.’’

Flynn is special to a lot of people.

That’s obvious by his room in the family’s house in Deer Park, a Houston suburb.

While there are plenty of sports memorabilia and athletics honors on display, there are personal remembrances as well. There is a picture of Flynn and his goddaughter (an honor bestowed upon him in high school by one of his coaches at Deer Park) and a photo of him and his girlfriend of five years, Janna Skrabanek, at a high school dance.

If you walk out of his room, you’ll see pictures of Flynn at all ages that his mother has put on the hallway wall. Also on the second floor, his sister has a collection of pictures of her brother on her bedroom wall.

Austin and Lauren, a potential Division I volleyball player at Deer Park, have become close since he enrolled at Iowa State University in Ames — about a 15-hour drive from their home. Brother and sister talk regularly on the phone.

‘‘I tell him I have a boyfriend, and he doesn’t like that at all,’’ said Lauren Flynn, 17, a high school senior. ‘‘He’s very protective. He doesn’t like any of them. I think he is worse than my dad.’’

Lance Walters, 21, has been friends with Flynn since about age 7 and will be at the Houston Bowl. Both buddies, who live on the same street, were sports fanatics growing up and still are, to an extent.

‘‘There is a park by Lance’s house where they pretty much lived at, growing up,’’ Rita Flynn said. ‘‘They had a baseball field there and played home run derby every day, along with basketball and football in the street.’’

Their friendship didn’t take a hit when each headed off to college. Walters is a baseball player at Division III Concordia University in Austin, Texas.

‘‘He’s always been the guy who if I’m stranded somewhere, he’d be the first one to come,’’ Walters said of Flynn.

Flynn always has time for people. Skrabanek, a senior at Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches, Texas, has witnessed that on her visits to Ames to see her boyfriend.

‘‘He’s just a very genuine person. He would never be rude to anybody,’’ Skrabanek said. ‘‘If I’m in Ames, random people come up to him all the time and he takes the time to talk to them and shake their hand.’’

And sign a few autographs for youngsters.

‘‘He loves working with little kids. It’s amazing to watch him,’’ Harold Flynn said. ‘‘The kids are drawn to him, for some reason. And he’s so patient. There was a (handicapped) kid at last year’s spring training (in Ames) when he was signing autographs. Austin had been there all day and he took him off to the side and had a nice conversation. He picked him up and had a picture with him. He’s always been like that.’’

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 02:53 PM)
4 interceptions! That's a lot of defense!

Well the amount of yardage on offense is ridiculous right now. To be honest, I just turned on the game a little while ago though and I was just going by the score when I made that comment.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 02:39 PM)
I don't feel like arguing over the whole bcs crap again cause I think all of us can agree that the bs is garbage but I was never arguing who was better between ND and Oregon though I don't think ND is very good.  That being said I was arguing that when you look at their whole bodies of work in the season that Oregon deserved to be there more.  It's all moot anyways since ND ended up with an auto bid.

I don't feel like rehashing it, either, but I don't see a body of work that Oregon produced that indicated they "deserved" it any more than ND did. Sure, ND had another loss, but that's the only thing really that distinguishes Oregon over ND. ND has better players, better coaches, and a better schedule than Oregon and brings the mystique to the game.

Not to open a can of worms, but maybe after seeing the Big 10 fall apart deliciously this bowl season, maybe you should be arguing that Oregon deserved the bid over OSU.

Then again, seeing what they did in the Emerald Bowl, I don't think there's any case that they deserved a BCS bid...

:crying :crying :crying NU totally blew that one. Well another year and another year without a bowl win. Might be NU's last bowl game for a year or two, who knows what their QB situation is gonna look like. Sutton will have to carry the load, it will be interesting. Teams are probably going to be able to key on him without the balance in the NU offense.

At least Missouri somehow won. I'm not only shocked Missouri won, but the fact that they were down 21 points twice in the game and came back is even more shocking. Go Mizzou! They almost salvaged the day.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 06:27 PM)
:crying  :crying  :crying NU totally blew that one. Well another year and another year without a bowl win. Might be NU's last bowl game for a year or two, who knows what their QB situation is gonna look like. Sutton will have to carry the load, it will be interesting. Teams are probably going to be able to key on him without the balance in the NU offense.

True on all counts, NU blew it, and that's how Walker does it at NU because that's how he has to do it. He builds the program up so that they have a really good team every few years (at least by NW standards). Not too bad a strategy to be honest considering what he has to work with.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 04:27 PM)
:crying  :crying  :crying NU totally blew that one. Well another year and another year without a bowl win. Might be NU's last bowl game for a year or two, who knows what their QB situation is gonna look like. Sutton will have to carry the load, it will be interesting. Teams are probably going to be able to key on him without the balance in the NU offense.

At least Missouri somehow won. I'm not only shocked Missouri won, but the fact that they were down 21 points twice in the game and came back is even more shocking. Go Mizzou! They almost salvaged the day.

Holy s***, I left thinking both of your teams were going to go down. USC was just ripping into you guys in the 1st half (I was out the door at halftime). I guess Smith must have redeemed himself. He looked horrid in the 1st half (but he wasn't exactly getting any pass protection).