Buerhle may not start game one

southsideirish71

QUOTE(3E8 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 09:52 PM)
Ha.  I wouldn't start him any playoff game.

You wouldnt, but would Ozzie. I mean he has done some crazy things. Timo batting 5th tonight, Timo playing 1st, Freddy starting the 9th inning on a losing effort after throwing over 100 pitches and having a 1 hour rain delay, etc, etc.

I hope its one of the big three, Mark, Garland or Freddy.

I would rather see it be either Mark or Jon based on their success at the Cell for the first 2, then Freddy in the away game.

But my gut tells me that Freddy will be the game one starter or El Duque. Hope I am wrong.

Unless someone puts up some numbers that shows we have a good chance beating the A's I don't want to hear their names until they clinch. There’s nothing out there that shows we have a chance until it happens and I am afraid of it.

There are still some people who don't have any faith in our sox when going against the Bosox and Yanks, but even after tonight’s loss I still know they won't lie down to get beat. I don't think they'll get beat enough to lose the lead in the division, anything can happen but I just don't believe this team will let that happen.

Rowand make some great plays, Dye, Pods, everyone tried. The offense didn't come through but hey, their the ones not performing out there offensively don't you guys think their trying as hard as they can and feel even worse than us when they don't get it done? I hope they hear me in the crowds supporting them, knowing that even though their not getting it done that I acknowledge their efforts. I think to myself, maybe if they see we appreciate their efforts they will ease up on themselves leading to more success.

I know I sound hypocritical here because of the positive outlook then the negativity about the A's but EVERYTHING goes wrong when playing that team I just dread them.

I am starting to get sick of the El Duque experience, are we led to believe that in October he will magically click his heels and work quicker, be able to pitch over errors and blown calls (Contreras also has this syndrome) and throw more strikes? I loved the signing, but now cringe through every start, and am spoiled by the fast pace our other pitchers use. He has a nice record, but the offense has saved him a few times. He ended up with a better line than it looked like it would look like last night, but thanks to Aaron, or else this would have been a blow out quick. If you nibble around and start to walk batters in the playoffs, they will hurt you, and it won't help if you're on the road. They say he feeds off pressure and always comes up big in October but last night was a pressure situation with facing his old team in a packed Yankee Stadium, and he looked very fragile in the early innings, not like a guy that feeds off pressure. He got better as the game went on, but couldn't even go 6 again...

The first playoff series is a best-of-five correct? So let's see...Mark starts game 2...that puts him on schedule to start game 5 of the ALDS if Ozzie follows the scheme he laid out in that article...Yeah, I can live with that.

The only thing that scares me about El Duque pitching a game 1 is the fact that it could chew our bullpen up early and leave us in worse shape if we have any extra-inning contests. The only thing that scares me about Freddy pitching a game 1 is the fact that a game 1 would probably be at home.

You know what? I'll bet you Jon will get game 1 unless he pitches the last game of the year.

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 10:18 PM)
I am starting to get sick of the El Duque experience, are we led to believe that in October he will magically click his heels and work quicker, be able to pitch over errors and blown calls (Contreras also has this syndrome) and throw more strikes? I loved the signing, but now cringe through every start, and am spoiled by the fast pace our other pitchers use. He has a nice record, but the offense has saved him a few times. He ended up with a better line than it looked like it would look like last night, but thanks to Aaron, or else this would have been a blow out quick. If you nibble around and start to walk batters in the playoffs, they will hurt you, and it won't help if you're on the road. They say he feeds off pressure and always comes up big in October but last night was a pressure situation with facing his old team in a packed Yankee Stadium, and he looked very fragile in the early innings, not like a guy that feeds off pressure. He got better as the game went on, but couldn't even go 6 again...

He went 7 2/3 innings against Boston, gave up 2 runs and got the loss.

He went 7 innings against Torotno, gave up 4 runs, and got the loss.

He went 6 innings against the Yankees, gave up 3 runs, and got the loss.

Yeah he works slow. Yeah, he gets 0-2 on too many people and ends up 3-2 on them. But I think it's hard for me to condemn any of those performances. If you're holding Boston, NY, and Toronto to those numbers...those are games that you should win.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 05:27 AM)
He went 7 2/3 innings against Boston, gave up 2 runs and got the loss.

He went 7 innings against Torotno, gave up 4 runs, and got the loss.

He went 6 innings against the Yankees, gave up 3 runs, and got the loss.

Yeah he works slow.  Yeah, he gets 0-2 on too many people and ends up 3-2 on them.  But I think it's hard for me to condemn any of those performances.  If you're holding Boston, NY, and Toronto to those numbers...those are games that you should win.

If Ozzie really does want to use Duque for the playoffs, then he should start conserving his arm now. Every game where Duque throws over 100 pitches, the chances increase that he won't be completely healthy for the playoffs.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 10:29 PM)
If Ozzie really does want to use Duque for the playoffs, then he should start conserving his arm now.  Every game where Duque throws over 100 pitches, the chances increase that he won't be completely healthy for the playoffs.

I'll lay you 75-25 that when we clinch in September...Adkins and McCarthy either make this a 7 man rotation or a 6 man rotation with Duque on the bench.

This is our toughest stretch all year...the better we do on this stretch, the sooner we clinch, and the more rest we can give his arm before the playoffs.

Sorry, but starting El Duque in game one would be idiotic IMO. I don't care about "matchups" or "curses" or any of that garbage. If you go down, you will go down with your best guys. MB has proven he's the 'ace' of this staff with Garland close behind, and those guys should be taking the ball in game one and 2 (and then 4 and 5 possibly) regardless of who we play, or whatever matchup you want to consider.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 06:23 AM)
Sorry, but starting El Duque in game one would be idiotic IMO. I don't care about "matchups" or "curses" or any of that garbage. If you go down, you will go down with your best guys. MB has proven he's the 'ace' of this staff with Garland close behind, and those guys should be taking the ball in game one and 2 (and then 4 and 5 possibly) regardless of who we play, or whatever matchup you want to consider.

:cheers Garland and Buehrle deserve to start that first game. I can just imagine the conspiracy theories on here if Duque is starting (and rightfully so).

In the end, Ozzie will want to trot out his best arm in game one and that is Buerhle. He'll want his next best arm, Garland in game 2. That easily leaves Freddy as game 3 and the schedule will determine if Mark gets game 4 or not. Even Oz won't mess with convention on this one.

People. Starting Game 1 is a big deal to any pitcher. Do you really think Oz would sit the franchise's best pitcher in game one? Buerhle has been one of the best pitchers in all of baseball over the past 4 seasons. To not give him the start would be a giant slap in the face to Buerhle.

Buerhle will start game 1 of healthy. There shouldn't be any debate. This isn't MLB2005 for Game Cube.

Don't forget 1 thing...the guy who starts game 1 of the ALDS doesn't necessarily end up starting game 1 of the ALCS or the WS. And he doesn't end up pitching the decisive game 5/7 either.

Starting game 1 with your best pitcher isn't always the best strategy...think about the Yankees last year against Boston...they threw out their pitchers who were healthy enough to go (Mussina, etc.) in games 1-6, and when game 7 came around, all they had left was Kevin Brown. When they put him out there, they got hammered.