8/9 Games

Heads22

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 04:07 AM)
Haigwood has been very,  very impressive this season.  Any chance he can supplant B-MAC as our top pitching prospect this year if he keeps dominating?

No, his stuff doesn't rate on par with guys like Gio, Broadway, or even Whisler and Lumsden (if they can get or stay healthy)...

That said, he has perhaps the best pitching mentality in the system outside of BMac and perhaps Broadway.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 05:48 AM)
Haigwood's having a very B-Mac like 2004, where he's jumped to a higher level and just gotten better.

In that respect, true (although he's only jumped 1 level and has had nowhere near the success and numbers BMac had in his 3-level journey last year)...

I think we should be careful in making these kinds of comparisons...

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 12:51 AM)
No, his stuff doesn't rate on par with guys like Gio, Broadway, or even Whisler and Lumsden (if they can get or stay healthy)...

That said, he has perhaps the best pitching mentality in the system outside of BMac and perhaps Broadway.

Randar I'd like to know your thoughts on Tyler Lumsden actually. I know when the Sox selected him, they thought they were getting the best college lefty at the time. We've seen a guy like J.P Howell who went something like 3 picks before him IIRC, already make the majors (albeit with the KC Royals).

I still rate Lumsden quite highly and I think once he gets over his arm problems and comes back from surgery, he could still move quickly through the system.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 12:54 AM)
In that respect, true (although he's only jumped 1 level and has had nowhere near the success and numbers BMac had in his 3-level journey last year)...

I think we should be careful in making these kinds of comparisons...

Yeah I only made the comparison on the fact that Haigwood has better numbers since he's jumped, kind of like B-Mac from Kanny to W-S.

B-Mac's 2004 was really quite extrodinary in itself, and something we may not see from a White Sox pitching prospect again for a while.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 08:54 AM)
Randar I'd like to know your thoughts on Tyler Lumsden actually. I know when the Sox selected him, they thought they were getting the best college lefty at the time. We've seen a guy like J.P Howell who went something like 3 picks before him IIRC, already make the majors (albeit with the KC Royals).

I still rate Lumsden quite highly and I think once he gets over his arm problems and comes back from surgery, he could still move quickly through the system.

Was extremely impressed with Lumsden. I think his curve is on-par with Gio and he throws much harder than Gio.

We'll have to see if he can get healthy, but he is, IMO, the most talented lefty in the system.

Last season I saw him hitting 95 and dropping an absolutely unhittable curve on guys. This was still as he was getting over his dead-arm period. I didn't see enough of him to have a great feel for control or pitching instincts, though.

Again, I like Gio a lot, but IMO, Lumsden and Whisler are the best LH'd arms in the system followed by Gio and Haigwood. Pitching instincts, mechanical consistency and control are on Haig and Gio's side, but pure talent and stuff has to go to the first 2, IMO.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)
Collaro's OBP was .304 entering the day.... There's not many outfielders not named Timo Perez who can make that work on the Major League level.

But he also has the most power potential of any prospect in the system (well aside from Chris Young). Collaro has a long way to go and there are definately some issues with his swing, but I think in general this has to be considered a promising season. He's hitting for power and his average hasn't been awful. He's also shortened his swing a bit, but still needs to cut his k's, and improve on his walk totals.

QUOTE(whitesox61382 @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 08:01 PM)
Thanks for the replies. It is good to see that Haigwood is quietly flying under the radar and putting together a solid season.

I am also not giving up complete hope on either Malone or Honel. I think that Malone can be an effective lefty reliever, and will probably get a shot at some point if he stays healthy.

Another guy who I think can be a real sleeper is Rodriguez. I have noticed that he has pitched very well and been very consistant over the past month plus. I remember that he had a plus arm from the left side before his injury, and it appears that he is starting to regain his stuff if the numbers are any indication.

On the whole, it appears that the Sox system is on the way up again and could be in the top 10 by the end of the season.

With Malone, from what I was told is they moved him to the pen to simply limit his innings because the Sox want to be extra careful with his arm. I was told they are very pleased with his progress this season (coming back from injury) and that he is expected to rejoin the rotation again next year (after starting for roughly half of the season IIRC).

Haigwood is a guy I like a whole lot. Awesome writeup on him Rex, as always appreciate your insights.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 03:48 AM)
Haigwood's having a very B-Mac like 2004, where he's jumped to a higher level and just gotten better. Hopefully he can stay away from the injuries that caused him to miss a lot of action so far in his minor league career.

Would I call him our best pitching prospect though? He'd have to keep pitching the way he has probably for the rest of the season, but I think after McCarthy, people are probably going to rate Gio a little higher (even though he's struggled with his ERA at Winston - Salem).

His only injuries weren't arm related IIRC. I always confuse him and Rodriguez, but IIRC Ryan Rodriguez had the arm/shoulder injury that forced him out a full season while Haigwood had a knee injury and is completely over it.

Like Cerb referenced earlier, when we talked to him last season around this time he said he had just started feeling 100%. He also mentioned how he was gaining a lot of confidence in his changeup. It seems to be a pitch that the Sox organization is doing a very good job teaching. That and the cutter and I think both are very good pitches.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 06:47 AM)
Haig has and never will hit mid-90's...

BA also said Brian Miller had the best RH power arm in the system... :o

And referred to it as "easy heat"....LMAO

Oh and Jesse Foppert consistently hits the upper 90's, ie 99. Yet in the big leagues he tops out at 93.

BA is a great publication, but a lot of the velocities that they report are laughable.

And from what I know, Haigwood tops out at the very low 90's, but usually pitches in the upper 80's.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 09:02 AM)
Was extremely impressed with Lumsden.  I think his curve is on-par with Gio and he throws much harder than Gio.

We'll have to see if he can get healthy, but he is, IMO, the most talented lefty in the system.

Last season I saw him hitting 95 and dropping an absolutely unhittable curve on guys.  This was still as he was getting over his dead-arm period.  I didn't see enough of him to have a great feel for control or pitching instincts, though.

Again, I like Gio a lot, but IMO, Lumsden and Whisler are the best LH'd arms in the system followed by Gio and Haigwood.  Pitching instincts, mechanical consistency and control are on Haig and Gio's side, but pure talent and stuff has to go to the first 2, IMO.

I'm starting to wonder if we'll even see Lummy this year. I'm trying to get an update on his status cause Lumsden is a guy that has some of the best stuff of any pitcher in the system. I think him and Sean Tracey have the best arms (from the left and right side) in the organization.

We'll just have to see what happens. Lummy is also a very heady pitcher and has extroardinary mound presence.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 08:47 AM)
Haig has and never will hit mid-90's...

BA also said Brian Miller had the best RH power arm in the system... :o

Oh yeah, I definitely remember that one. "95+ MPH easy heat." Boy was I surprised when he was topping out at 90 with a violent delivery to say the least.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 06:07 PM)
I'm starting to wonder if we'll even see Lummy this year.  I'm trying to get an update on his status cause Lumsden is a guy that has some of the best stuff of any pitcher in the system.  I think him and Sean Tracey have the best arms (from the left and right side) in the organization.

We'll just have to see what happens.  Lummy is also a very heady pitcher and has extroardinary mound presence.

Heck with the best arms stuff, I want the best pitcher. Wood has a great arm, Buehrle is a great pitcher, who do you want?

Give me Haigwood over a guy like Lumsden 8 times out of 10.

QUOTE(MnSoxFan @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 02:05 PM)
Heck with the best arms stuff, I want the best pitcher. Wood has a great arm, Buehrle is a great pitcher, who do you want?

I tend to think Lummy is also a good pitcher. I don't consider him a thrower, but a pitcher. Problem is its really hard to say considering his health issues.

However, I'm with you 100%, I'm a fan of pitchers as opposed to throwers, although its nice when you get a combination of both (which is what Jenks is starting to look like).

I'm excited about the progress Haig is making and I'm glad he's going to get quite a few more starts in Bham this year so if he does make the jump to AAA at the start of next season he won't be as rushed as Bmac was.

QUOTE(MnSoxFan @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 10:05 PM)

Well in the majors thats true, but in the minors you tend to want the guy with the best arm and to learn and use his stuff to become a great pitcher. Wood is already like 29 but Lumsden if healthy has his whole career ahead of him.