8/9 Games

Heads22

Daigle for the Class A Hall of Fame! :bang Collaro went yard too, I really hope he can become the stud power hitter he is showing so far this year. Next year will be very interesting for him. Sabo got promoted from Bristol, interesting, that's quite a jump. He did do very well down there though.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 03:17 PM)
Collaro's OBP was .304 entering the day.... There's not many outfielders not named Timo Perez who can make that work on the Major League level.

Oh I know he's a work in progress, but there is some substance there. He is slugging over .500 and has an OPS over .800. We'll see if he can keep the success up in a major pitchers' park while making the biggest jump in the minors.

QUOTE(whitesox61382 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 12:20 PM)
Haigwood with another dominating performance. Can anyone give me an accurate scouting report on his stuff? BHAM? Rex? Anyone else? Thanks!

Chris Young was finally back tonight as well and homered.

As for Haigwood;

13. Daniel Haigwood, LHP, 21, Birmingham

Potential: 6 Big League Odds: 40%

When it comes to prospects, Daniel Haigwood has improved his status more than any other Sox minor leaguer this season. Haigwood was the ace of the Warthogs' staff along with Charles Haeger for part of the year going 8-2 with a 3.77 ERA in 15 starts. Daniel struck out 84 in 76.1 innings while giving up 79 hits, earning himself a promotion to AA Birmingham.

Haigwood pitched brilliantly in his first start for the Barons and is expected to finish out the season in Birmingham. The 21 year old lefty gave up just one run on 3 hits in 6.2 innings of work with 7 strikeouts in his only AA start.

Haigwood features a 88-91 MPH fastball with good movement, a plus curveball and a good changeup. Haigwood pitched admirably in 2004, after missing the entire 2003 season, and is now at 100%. Haigwood walks roughly one batter every two innings and needs to improve on his control. However, the lefty has what it takes to become a back of the rotation starter and does an excellent job keeping batters off-balance.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 08:33 PM)
Chris Young was finally back tonight as well and homered.

As for Haigwood;

13. Daniel Haigwood, LHP, 21, Birmingham

Potential: 6 Big League Odds: 40%

When it comes to prospects, Daniel Haigwood has improved his status more than any other Sox minor leaguer this season. Haigwood was the ace of the Warthogs' staff along with Charles Haeger for part of the year going 8-2 with a 3.77 ERA in 15 starts. Daniel struck out 84 in 76.1 innings while giving up 79 hits, earning himself a promotion to AA Birmingham.

Haigwood pitched brilliantly in his first start for the Barons and is expected to finish out the season in Birmingham. The 21 year old lefty gave up just one run on 3 hits in 6.2 innings of work with 7 strikeouts in his only AA start.

Haigwood features a 88-91 MPH fastball with good movement, a plus curveball and a good changeup. Haigwood pitched admirably in 2004, after missing the entire 2003 season, and is now at 100%. Haigwood walks roughly one batter every two innings and needs to improve on his control. However, the lefty has what it takes to become a back of the rotation starter and does an excellent job keeping batters off-balance.

Haigwood doesn't project as a backend guy because his stuff is so good. He was a two pitch pitcher out of High School (fastball, curveball) and has been introduced to the change as he entered the Sox system. Not sure how well he throws it. His big key is getting his curveball, which is superb, over for a strike. He seems to be doing that just fine now, and BA says he can hit the mid 90s when he wants to, which I believe.

When I interviewed him last year he said he was feeling 100% and back from his injury. I guess his AA performance would affirm that:

40.1 IP

20 H

19 BB

43 SO

4 ER

OK, MSF, I'll share with everyone. Here were my remarks on another Sox board after Haigwood's start last week when he paired up with Braves hot prospect Chuck James:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On last night's game......

Last night was the first time I saw Haigwood. I really, really liked what I saw. I wanted to make Buehrle comparisons, but I am not sure that is fair. But what the heck, let's do a little comparison anyway.

Haigwood throws upper 80's topping out right at 90. His fastball didn't have a ton of life on it, but it definitely was not straight. It had enough jump that he could get inside on righties without getting burned. Haigwood mixed in a few changeups that were good, but not outstanding.

His real strength are his breaking balls. He throws both a curveball (12-6, sometimes 1-7) and a slider. Both have serious bite and are PLUS pitches. He buckled knees a couple of times with the curveball last night, even a righty or two. He twisted one LH MBraves hitter into a pretzel on one. It seems as if he throws it more 12-6 to a RH and 1-7 to a LH. His command was solid and you could just tell he was a "pitcher" and was under control on the mound. The only run he gave up was on a hot smash that Rogo could not grab (tough play) that would have gotten him out of the inning. I believe he struck out 5 of his first 6 batters.

It was just one outing, but if he is not claimed, add Haigwood officially to "my guy" list!

On the flip side, Chuck James of Mississippi was very good also. He got it up to 91-92 and his pitches seemed hard to pick up. It seemed like they were on the hitter before he was expecting it. His breaking ball doesn't rank with Haigwood's but he throws a little harder, has a nice changeup and has that sneakiness about him. It was fun to watch to nice pitchers battle it out.

From that same game:

On Malone....

He was working in the high 80's last night and was kind of all over the place. He threw two good breaking balls, but they started so low and broke into the dirt, it was hard to really tell if they had the snap it used to have. He got a swing and a miss on both, so I am giving it the benefit of the doubt.

The one thing that did impress me though, was one at bat. He had guys on 1B and 3B (might have been 2B and 3B) with one out and fell behind the next hitter 1-0. He promptly threw three straight changeups all for strikes to strike the guy out. The Corwin of old used to resist Curt Hasler's (frmr pitching coach) attempts to throw more changes and pitch more and throw less. He probably threw 6 or 7 changeups in his two innings, which is about double what he used to throw in a whole start. That in itself is progress.

Thanks for the replies. It is good to see that Haigwood is quietly flying under the radar and putting together a solid season.

I am also not giving up complete hope on either Malone or Honel. I think that Malone can be an effective lefty reliever, and will probably get a shot at some point if he stays healthy.

Another guy who I think can be a real sleeper is Rodriguez. I have noticed that he has pitched very well and been very consistant over the past month plus. I remember that he had a plus arm from the left side before his injury, and it appears that he is starting to regain his stuff if the numbers are any indication.

On the whole, it appears that the Sox system is on the way up again and could be in the top 10 by the end of the season.

So Haigwood pitched 7 innings, 0ER, 1BB and 7K's. ERA with B-Ham down to 0.89 now.

Owens got another hit, but not much else offense except for Young's homer.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil...biraax_msbaax_1

Bristol won 17-1. Cunningham 2 for 3, Sanchez 2 for 5, while Viola picked up the win.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil...brirok_jcyrok_1

Oh and Charlotte lost 9-4. Bad start for Ulacia, Borch 2 for 4 with 2 K's, still no Anderson.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil...chraaa_noraaa_1

Barons 3 Mississippi 0

W-Haigwood L-White Sv-Reynoso

Haigwood continued his great pitching this year. He had a knee buckling curve he used to get looking K's. Also twisted up left hander Mike Rosamond a couple of times and really looked good outhere tonight often ahead of the hitters and used his breaking pitches effectivly tonight. Not much offense Sean White was wild the 1st 3 innings where he gave up a pair of runs on wild pitches and his own throwing error. Chris Young drilled his 19th a moon shot to left and Jerry Owens tripled on a deep drive to right center

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 05:07 AM)
Haigwood has been very,  very impressive this season.  Any chance he can supplant B-MAC as our top pitching prospect this year if he keeps dominating?

Sure. Once BMac is the rotation in Chicago.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 08:07 PM)
Haigwood has been very,  very impressive this season.  Any chance he can supplant B-MAC as our top pitching prospect this year if he keeps dominating?

Haigwood's having a very B-Mac like 2004, where he's jumped to a higher level and just gotten better. Hopefully he can stay away from the injuries that caused him to miss a lot of action so far in his minor league career.

Would I call him our best pitching prospect though? He'd have to keep pitching the way he has probably for the rest of the season, but I think after McCarthy, people are probably going to rate Gio a little higher (even though he's struggled with his ERA at Winston - Salem).

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)
Haigwood's having a very B-Mac like 2004, where he's jumped to a higher level and just gotten better. Hopefully he can stay away from the injuries that caused him to miss a lot of action so far in his minor league career.

Would I call him our best pitching prospect though? He'd have to keep pitching the way he has probably for the rest of the season, but I think after McCarthy, people are probably going to rate Gio a little higher (even though he's struggled with his ERA at Winston - Salem).

But his injury was not arm related, which is good, it was a knee injury that kept him out that entire year.

QUOTE(MnSoxFan @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 12:34 AM)
But his injury was not arm related, which is good, it was a knee injury that kept him out that entire year.

Ahh my bad, guess I should of read the scouting report again. At least it's not like Corwin Malone coming back.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 08:42 PM)
Haigwood doesn't project as a backend guy because his stuff is so good. He was a two pitch pitcher out of High School (fastball, curveball) and has been introduced to the change as he entered the Sox system. Not sure how well he throws it. His big key is getting his curveball, which is superb, over for a strike. He seems to be doing that just fine now, and BA says he can hit the mid 90s when he wants to, which I believe.

When I interviewed him last year he said he was feeling 100% and back from his injury. I guess his AA performance would affirm that:

40.1 IP

20 H

19 BB

43 SO

4 ER

Haig has and never will hit mid-90's...

BA also said Brian Miller had the best RH power arm in the system... :o