Harris in LF?

fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 09:24 PM)
Chicagosports.com is reporting that Willie Harris might be called up to play LF and leadoff.  Good grief, that would be a disaster of a move.  Harris is a terrible outfielder, and he's done nothing this season to deserve to be on the MLB roster.  Please do something else KW!

Harris may get called up, and will get some starts in LF, but I don't think he'd become a regular out there while Pods' is injured - I think Guillen would basically platoon and work in Timo Perez, Harris, and Pablo out there.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bring up Anderson and make this the lineup.

Iguchi

Rowand

Everett

Konerko

Pierzysnki

Dye

Crede

Anderson

Uribe

Looks a helluva lot better to me than having a mental midget like Willie Harris in the lineup.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 03:48 AM)
Harris may get called up, and will get some starts in LF, but I don't think he'd become a regular out there while Pods' is injured - I think Guillen would basically platoon and work in Timo Perez, Harris, and Pablo out there.

That's going to make me sleep better at night :headshake

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 03:48 AM)
Bring up Anderson and make this the lineup.

Iguchi

Rowand

Everett

Konerko

Pierzysnki

Dye

Crede

Anderson

Uribe

Looks a helluva lot better to me than having a mental midget like Willie Harris in the lineup.

I was going to post the same thing. The last thing we need on this team is another just terrible hitter like Willie Harris.

Another thing they need to consider is that you are not going to replace Pods.

Just putting a fast guy as the leadoff guy isn't going to translate to success.

Willie Harris 1) Can't get on base. 2) Can't steal a base if he does get on base (via a HBP or a walk or a duck snort). 3) Can't play Left field very well at all.

This will make no sense. This has to be an Ozzie input decision. I know damn well that KW can't possibly believe that Willie deserves another shot. Afterall, the guy went out and got Iguchi to save us from having to start Harris to begin with.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 09:36 PM)
I just don't get our mentality right now.  Ozzie sure seems concerned about not bringing in any new blood.  In reality, I think the thing our team really could use is a boost from someone new.

Willie .217 BA with a sooper stella .287 OBP. 27% of his outs are by K.

Timo .221 BA with a .278OBP 18.6% of his outs are by K

Pablo .272 with a .311OBP 19.2% of his outs are by K

compare those to

Corey Patterson who has a .235 BA with a .272 OBP 31.4% of his outs are by K

Now this is the same Corey that was sent down on a bad team. We are a first place team with the best record in baseball. Yet instead of sending or keeping those crappers from above down we celebrate their crappyness and they are option 1 from the bench or the minors instead of guys who can actually hit.

Can we have an option someone else.

I totally agree with the new blood approach. I don't hate any Sox player but am tired of seeing Timo and Willie. The Braves weren't afraid to put Francouer in their lineup and look what he's done. We already know Timo and Willies capabilities. It's time to get a new blood transfusion and see what Anderson can do. Doubt he can do much worse then what we already have.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 10:11 PM)
How's Anderson doing down in the minors?  Just curious.

Anderson .296BA with a .362OBP

The only knock is he strikes out a lot. Well he strikes out like the rest of our hitters. None of our guys are real good contact guys, so whats one more.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 10:19 PM)
Didn't say that this option is any better, but I believe Guillen will make LF a platoon position until Pods is healthy.

If by platoon you mean bat Timo as much as possible and give Harris a shot here and there to relieve Ozzies girlfriend Timo. That is the only platoon that Ozzie has in mind.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 11:23 PM)
If by platoon you mean bat Timo as much as possible and give Harris a shot here and there to relieve Ozzies girlfriend Timo.  That is the only platoon that Ozzie has in mind.

By platoon, I mean Harris/Perez/Ozuna will all get some time out there - unless one of them gets real hot at the plate, I think Guillen will just go by matchups.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 10:28 PM)
By platoon, I mean Harris/Perez/Ozuna will all get some time out there - unless one of them gets real hot at the plate, I think Guillen will just go by matchups.

I think he will go one of two ways.

He will either bring Harris up and plunk him into Pods spot and think for whatever reason that Wee Willie can hit and get on base and steal.

Or he will go with his girlfriend Timo and play him.

I dont think there will be any Platoons. Ozzie goes with guys, especially after Timo had two hits in todays rainout. This justifies him starting for the entire DL session by Ozzies thought process.

I'd rather see Harris out there and in that lineup spot than Pablo. It's funny because I said Timo last night and everyone sharted all over me for it, and now he has a nice day today and everyone likes him a little better. Case in point, the 'he hasn't done anything to deserve a spot' excuse is crap, no one on the bench or the minors has done anything to deserve it, and no one on the bench can because they're on the bench. I don't even care who plays left, as long as Pods can get rest, be on the playoff roster, and come back in time for our big run. There's no need to play around, I'm the most superstitious guy out there, and I know a postseason spot is clinched, now all that's being played for is homefield, possibly pride. Get well soon Pods and Hermy

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 10:32 PM)
I'd rather see Harris out there and in that lineup spot than Pablo. It's funny because I said Timo last night and everyone sharted all over me for it, and now he has a nice day today and everyone likes him a little better. Case in point, the 'he hasn't done anything to deserve a spot' excuse is crap, no one on the bench or the minors has done anything to deserve it, and no one on the bench can because they're on the bench. I don't even care who plays left, as long as Pods can get rest, be on the playoff roster, and come back in time for our big run. There's no need to play around, I'm the most superstitious guy out there, and I know a postseason spot is clinched, now all that's being played for is homefield, possibly pride. Get well soon Pods and Hermy

Harris cant hit. Leave him down. Bring Gload/Anderson or someone else who seems to be able to hit

The real solution is to have Arow bat leadoff. I would rather have him that all of the above while Pods is on the DL.

Timo/Willie/Ozuna starting more than a few games equals bad offense.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 09:16 PM)
Anderson .296BA with a .362OBP

The only knock is he strikes out a lot.  Well he strikes out like the rest of our hitters.  None of our guys are real good contact guys, so whats one more.

I never understand why striking out a lot is such a bad thing. Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Reggie Jackon and many, many others struck out a lot. It's much better then hitting into a DP. Yea I know its not a "productive" out but neither are pop outs , shallow fly balls and weak ground balls to the wrong side of the infield with runners on and no one keeps track of those.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 10:37 PM)
I never understand why striking out a lot is such a bad thing. Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Reggie Jackon and many, many others struck out a lot. It's much better then hitting into a DP.  Yea I know its not a "productive" out but neither are pop outs , shallow fly balls and weak ground balls to the wrong side of the infield with runners on and no one keeps track of those.

None of our hitters are those guys.

Striking out a lot doesnt matter up until you have men on and less than 2 outs and you need contact. If the guy is a complete free swinger than you are focked. If he Ks a lot with no men on because he is trying to throttle a pitch its not a big deal. Its all about situations.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 11:31 PM)
I think he will go one of two ways. 

He will either bring Harris up and plunk him into Pods spot and think for whatever reason that Wee Willie can hit and get on base and steal.

Or he will go with his girlfriend Timo and play him.

I dont think there will be any Platoons.  Ozzie goes with guys, especially after Timo had two hits in todays rainout.  This justifies him starting for the entire DL session by Ozzies thought process.

I think he'll go platoon because neither is going to hit .400 (or even .250 probably), meaning he'll try to get them favorable matchups.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 04:39 AM)
I think he'll go platoon because neither is going to hit .400 (or even .250 probably), meaning he'll try to get them favorable matchups.

Then you have to play the guy who can play defense better. Sadly, that's Timo in this case.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 10:39 PM)

We just had a series where he batted Timo as our DH the entire time.

I think that speaks volumes about what he intends to do. When Timo Perez is your first option for DH for the Yank series.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 09:38 PM)
None of our hitters are those guys.

Striking out a lot doesnt matter up until you have men on and less than 2 outs and you need contact.  If the guy is a complete free swinger than you are focked.  If he Ks a lot with no men on because he is trying to throttle a pitch its not a big deal.  Its all about situations.

I know its all about situations which is exactly why i mentioned pop outs ,shallow fly balls,DP's etc. Theres are a lot of ways to screw up a men in scoring position situation other then a K.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 11:42 PM)
We just had a series where he batted Timo as our DH the entire time.

I think that speaks volumes about what he intends to do. When Timo Perez is your first option for DH for the Yank series.

Yeah, but wasn't Carl Everett out with the groin injury ? The Sox don't have a very good hitting bench so it isn't going to be pretty if we're using our bench players as regulars.