Will the Sox land Griffey?

GasHeGone

Will KW land his dream weaver, Junior Griffey, this summer?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Will KW land his dream weaver, Junior Griffey, this summer?

• Hell yes.
    • Hell no.

I could see the sox sweetening an offer for Jr, adding in a good pitching prospect like Liotta or Daniel Haigwood. But I still think that's not the key. [Rogowski or no Rogowski]

It's whether or not Lindner wants to hold onto Jr. He thinks Jr. is an asset to the reds and to prospective buyers.

My guess is the Reds COO and GM will convince Lindner to deal Jr.

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 12:12 AM)
Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccceeeeeeeeee said that he thinks KGJ will be on the Sox by the end of the week today on Silvy and Carmen. I totally trust Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccceeeeeeee that he is right.

Levine thinks it will happen, that means there is no chance. Its nice to know I'm not the only one who feels that way. What about AJ Burnett? What about Omar Vizquel? Remember when Levine said there was no way Freddy Garcia would sign an extension with the Sox before going through free agency? I also agree with fathom, there has been nothing that indicates the Reds owner has changed his mind. In fact, there has been nothing but denials with the Reds that this trade is even being discussed anymore.

Reds fan here, unfortunately ;), just wanted to clear up some things ive read on here, from the reds point of view, of what i have heard.

first - the reds have not denied the trade. they have used the famous dan o'boring non denial. instead of saying, there is no trade, we are not talking to the white sox, etc, they just say, we havent talked to griffey about it, etc.

second - the owner is a f'n idiot like you guys say, but thats not why this trade hasnt been accepted. rumor is he is selling the reds or at least part of it (man how i hope he sells the entire team and gets the heck out here) and this is why no major player was allowed to be traded. he didnt want to trade any major player on the team, and let the new people do what they wanted. the only 2 players that were allowed to be moved were aurillia and randa.

now, supposedly that stance has changed. he has supposedly told our dumb fo that if they think that trading jr is the best for this team and if jr and his agent call him personally and tell him he wants out, then he will okay the trade

QUOTE(RDriesen @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 09:50 AM)
Reds fan here, unfortunately ;), just wanted to clear up some things ive read on here, from the reds point of view, of what i have heard.

first -  the reds have not denied the trade.  they have used the famous dan o'boring non denial. instead of saying, there is no trade, we are not talking to the white sox, etc, they just say, we havent talked to griffey about it, etc.

second - the owner is a f'n idiot like you guys say, but thats not why this trade hasnt been accepted.  rumor is he is selling the reds or at least part of it (man how i hope he sells the entire team and gets the heck out here) and this is why no major player was allowed to be traded.  he didnt want to trade any major player on the team, and let the new people do what they wanted.  the only 2 players that were allowed to be moved were aurillia and randa.

now, supposedly that stance has changed.  he has supposedly told our dumb fo that if they think that trading jr is the best for this team and if jr and his agent call him personally and tell him he wants out, then he will okay the trade

Welcome to Soxtalk!!!

I love the Big Red Machine :cheers :cheers

QUOTE(RDriesen @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 09:50 AM)

first -  the reds have not denied the trade.  they have used the famous dan o'boring non denial. instead of saying, there is no trade, we are not talking to the white sox, etc, they just say, we havent talked to griffey about it, etc.

second - the owner is a f'n idiot like you guys say, but thats not why this trade hasnt been accepted.  rumor is he is selling the reds or at least part of it (man how i hope he sells the entire team and gets the heck out here) and this is why no major player was allowed to be traded.  he didnt want to trade any major player on the team, and let the new people do what they wanted.  the only 2 players that were allowed to be moved were aurillia and randa.

now, supposedly that stance has changed.  he has supposedly told our dumb fo that if they think that trading jr is the best for this team and if jr and his agent call him personally and tell him he wants out, then he will okay the trade

Welcome to Soxtalk and thanks for the insight! :cheers

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 12:36 AM)
God, this better happen.

I'm hoping it happens.

With Pods out,and looking at the offense vs. those Damn Twinkies last night,Jr. could be that last piece of the puzzle we need.

Hell,beats that stupid "Palmerio to the Sox" idea in the Cubune!

I voted "no" because when there is only a hint of smoke for 3 weeks, its probably true that you have been rubbing sticks together but no imminent fire. Maybe one stick is a little wet (Lindner), in which case even if the other stick (KW) is working tirelessly with single-minded efficiency on the same spot (KGJ), there will be no fire.

But, if it does happen, I hope Chris Young is not in the deal as I would rather give up Sweeney, Owens, Tracey or Liotta over Young. The only non-pitching prospect I would not want to give up more than Young is Valido because we will need infield help in the near future and we have plenty of upcoming OFs.

John Allen, the Chief Operating Officer of the Reds "angrily" denied there was a Griffey trade in the works in today's Cincinnati Enquirer.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...160385/1071/SPT

He didn't deny a trade was possible, if someone wants to give me a #1 starter, but of course such a trade could not happen because no #1 starter would be offered, nor would they pass through waivers.

So I'm afraid, like the AJ Burnett and Jason Schmidt rumors, this one is almost certainly a dead one.

Instead of seeking a savior from outside the organization, the Sox need to seriously reconsider how they can help themselves from within.

I would start by cutting Timo Perez and trying out their young outfielders until they find one who can hit right now. That may be Brian Anderson. But it could also be Chris Young or Jerry Owens, both of whom have a lot more speed. All of these guys are probably better defensively than Perez, who is just an anchor to our offense whenever he plays.

And if none of them can hit yet, plan B could be Ross Gload, who has proven he can hit if given chances.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 10:28 AM)
John Allen, the Chief Operating Officer of the Reds "angrily" denied there was a Griffey trade in the works in today's Cincinnati Enquirer.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...160385/1071/SPT

He didn't deny a trade was possible, if someone wants to give me a #1 starter, but of course such a trade could not happen because no #1 starter would be offered, nor would they pass through waivers.

So I'm afraid, like the AJ Burnett and Jason Schmidt rumors, this one is almost certainly a dead one. 

Instead of seeking a savior from outside the organization, the Sox need to seriously reconsider how they can help themselves from within.

I would start by cutting Timo Perez and trying out their young outfielders until they find one who can hit right now.  That may be Brian Anderson.  But it could also be Chris Young or Jerry Owens, both of whom have a lot more speed.  All of these guys are probably better defensively than Perez, who is just an anchor to our offense whenever he plays.

And if none of them can hit yet, plan B could be Ross Gload, who has proven he can hit if given chances.

dont pay attention to him. allen is a puppet on strings. he has no power or say on the team

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 03:30 PM)
Under your scheme we should test out each of our young guys to see who can contribute?  I am for that, but only after we try and stretch our lead instead of watching is tumble.

Well we should start by playing Anderson instead of Timo Perez. I don't think Perez should do anything but occasionally pinch hit or pinch run.

But I also don't see automatically why Young or Owens couldn't contribute.

We need an infusion of young blood to keep us from tumbling, frankly. Look at Oakland or Atlanta. How many rookies have they called on? We have Tadahito Iguchi, and now Bobby Jenks, who has helped us a lot out of AA.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 10:37 AM)
Well we should start by playing Anderson instead of Timo Perez.  I don't think Perez should do anything but occasionally pinch hit or pinch run.

But I also don't see automatically why Young or Owens couldn't contribute. 

We need an infusion of young blood to keep us from tumbling, frankly.  Look at Oakland or Atlanta.  How many rookies have they called on?  We have Tadahito Iguchi, and now Bobby Jenks, who has helped us a lot out of AA.

I would like that, but honestly there is not a ton of room up here. Unless we DL Crede for his back, I dont see any moves soon. I would REALLY like Anderson to play well so when PODS comes back we can get rid of Timo. I would love to see Owens try the lead off role and young play some as well, but for now, I am happy with watching Anderson.

Side Note: Saw BA in person for the first time last night, the guy is a BEAST.