Hawk & Mariotti War Continues

Rooftop Shots

Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one.

Mine is that hawk was absoultely right about Griffey. Where WOULD he play? IMO 35 isn't too old to play in the field, but our outfielders are doing fine and we already have backup outfielders. Maybe if we got rid of Timo........

And TheDybber, I whole heartedly agree with you.

Edited by TheBigHurt

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 12:14 PM)
"Two hits.  Me hitting you, you hitting the floor."

Anyway, I hope some of you realize that Hawk has been with this team longer than some of you have been alive.  Let's compare two announcers that are roughly the same age, Hawk and Vin Scully.  Now I think Scully has the smoothest voice ever.  I think if you are not a baseball fan and are trying to learn the game, Vin's your man.  I think if you are listening to a ballgame that is between two teams you don't care too much about, listen to Vin. 

If I'm watching my White Sox, I want a buddy to listen with.  And Hawk's the man for the job.  I know baseball pretty well.  I can disagree with Hawk just like I would with any of you if we were watching a game together.  He's fun to listen to and he's got a pretty damn good knowledge of the game, too. 

Scully comes from a different era of announcers where the only time they get excited is if there is something HUUUUGE happening (Kirk Gibson in '88 comes to mind).  Hawk gets excited on a big pitch in the game or a timely out or a ducksnort to keep an inning alive, just like I do.  And THAT's what I like about Hawk. 

As for Mariotti, he does his job.  He gets people on boards to talk about him.  And I think that this is like Professional Wrestling...they go out and have a beer when no one is looking. :lol:

:headbang :notworthy

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 11:58 AM)
Scully sucks.  He's boring.  And the infamous call of Gibson's HR was done by Jack Buck.   Now there was an announcer.

Actually, both Buck and Scully made calls. Here ya go:

Click me

Scroll down for it.

Edited by rcpweiner

So we all know they get paid for their jobs but here is the ?. If Hawk gets the day off because of Fox or ESPN does he watch the game? Yes,he always comments on the game the next day. That tells me he loves this team! Also everyone states how much of a homer he is,but a hear a lot of good things about the other team from him. I also love the knowledge I get from him,the man knows this game period! :D

QUOTE(wallyburger @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 10:21 AM)
It has gotten to the point , for me, that I will watch the opponent's feeds on DTV before I will watch the Sox Broadcast because of Hawk & DJ. I am an out of towner, so I get this option. The Hawk rants are just so over the top. He has become nothing but a JR spin doctor. Is this latest episode over the Ozzie "homosexual/pedophile" blurt? If Hawk is defending that one, I am totally lost on this guy.

are you saying if Hawk is defending a common joke made by Ozzie, you're totally lost on him?

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 12:15 PM)
Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one.

Mine is that hawk was absoultely right about Griffey. Where WOULD he play? IMO 35 isn't too old to play in the field, but our outfielders are doing fine and we already have backup outfielders. Maybe if we got rid of Timo........

And TheDybber, I whole heartedly agree with you.

just DH Pods and put Griffey in LF. Pods isn't that good of a fielder outside of his speed, though he has his moments.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 11:53 PM)
You don't know what brews on behind the scenes.  Believe me, you and I do not know the entire story.

I don't see why this is a  reason for hawk to lose his job.

If hawk is gone. I, personally , would start a bring back hawk campaign.  I would never listen to audio on tv again.

When I watch a game I feel I am watching it with a good buddy when I listen to Hawk.

I do not care if hawk is 100% wrong. I would never side with the devil: Jay Marrioti.

Bingo. I even let DJ be my friend, too.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 12:23 AM)
Marriotti deserves all the ripping Hawk gives him.  He talked so much trash about this team now that it is almost a lock we make the playoffs he starts praising us like he knew all along we would be this good.... he deserves to be ripped.

Sorry.. but that's complete bulls***. Jay has not been saying any such thing and has not once yet said "I knew it..." If you're going to jump on the bandwagon at least get the facts right.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 08:04 AM)
Sorry.. but that's complete bulls***. Jay has not been saying any such thing and has not once yet said "I knew it..." If you're going to jump on the bandwagon at least get the facts right.

They are both acting like immature children.

Including today's remarks by Mariotti that "Sammy Sosa also cleared waivers, but there's a better chance of Harrelson being invited to my next party, even if Metamucil is served as an appetizer."

Grow up guys!

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 08:14 AM)

Including today's remarks by Mariotti that "Sammy Sosa also cleared waivers, but there's a better chance of Harrelson being invited to my next party, even if Metamucil is served as an appetizer."

Grow up guys!

:lolhitting Saw that this morning, great line, it killed me.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 08:14 AM)

Grow up guys!

Who would go to a party hosted by Mariotti? he is the first one muted on ATH, and noone ever agrees with him there, and he has ripped on pretty much every sports team in Chicago, and even has problems with other columnists at his own paper.

Its an even funnier line when I think about it like that.

Eh, I just watch the games , listen to Hawk and DJ and like many here have said, its like watching with an old friend. Hell we're all so busy ripping each other new ones on this board whats the difference between that and the Hawk/Jay feud besides thats its more public ? People disagree , thats our nature, everyone thinks they're right. No ones willing to listen , and when they do listen , they're not really listening , just waiting for their turn to talk.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 01:04 PM)

He doesnt have to say the exact words I knew they would win all the way just by the way he talks and how he says it makes u think he knew all along we would be good if you didnt read his columns b4 the season started.