I got fired today......

WilliamTell

This is the first time in my life that I've ever been fired so I feel really bad and kind of dazed about it. I know a lot of people get fired so it's not a huge deal or anything but just the way I was fired is what gets me upset. I was fired because my assistant manager thought I told him to settle down when I didn't even say that to him. He then said don't ever tell me to settle down again or else I'll fire you. I told him I didn't say that to him and then he asked if I wanted to be fired. I asked if he wanted me here and he said no then I said fine I'll put my 2 week notice in and he said you won't need that, you're fired, get out of here. So before I leave I talk to the manager and I told him thanks for hiring me back in March and he said I was a great kid, but since he didn't see or hear what happened, he has to stick with what the assistant manager says. I had no warnings or write ups or anything in the 5 months I was working there. It just surprises me that I'd get fired on something that I didn't even say to him. But say I said that, it would still amaze me that I'd get fired for that. All in all, I just don't think it was fair for them to fire me based on the emotion of the assistant manager, but who am I to judge that I guess. Now I have to look for a job so hopefully I can get one before college starts back up in 9 days.

Edited by WilliamTell

I had a situation vaguely similar a long time ago. I used to run the office of a furniture factory. The 2 owners were away on business and left the illegitimate brother in charge. Orders were a bit slow, so he set his assistant upstairs to the office to tell me to 'spool the orders' so the factory can get a head start. On the system we ran, you can't do that when everyone is on or it crashes the system. I told her that I can't right now (it was 2pm, orders coming in, phones busy, etc.), it would have to wait 20 or 30 minutes. She went back and told him I said 'No'. Five or ten minutes later, he came upstairs and started swearing at me very loudly to 'spool the f***ing orders now!'. I was at the time standing next to the lady that does that so I looked at her and said" Barbara, please spool the orders now, like JIm asked". You could see the fear in her eyes as she keyed the commands and hit enter. 30 seconds later, the system crashed, and 600 factory workers had to go home early because they could no longer access the computers to ship, change fabric rolls, enter orders, etc. I supposed the smug look on my face is probably what did me in, but I tried to warn him amidst his swearing, but he would not have any of that. I was technically 'downsized' 2 weeks later, but that was just a cover up (my immediate boss told me so). DOn't worry too much about it, if you did nothing wrong. It feels like s*** for a bit, depending on how much you liked the job, but it will pass. Good luck in your job hunt.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
I had a situation vaguely similar a long time ago.  I used to run the office of a furniture factory.  The 2 owners were away on business and left the illegitimate brother in charge.  Orders were a bit slow, so he set his assistant upstairs to the office to tell me to 'spool the orders' so the factory can get a head start.  On the system we ran, you can't do that when everyone is on or it crashes the system.  I told her that I can't right now (it was 2pm, orders coming in, phones busy, etc.), it would have to wait 20 or 30 minutes. She went back and told him I said 'No'.  Five or ten minutes later, he came upstairs and started swearing at me very loudly to 'spool the f***ing orders now!'.  I was at the time standing next to the lady that does that so I looked at her and said" Barbara, please spool the orders now, like JIm asked".  You could see the fear in her eyes as she keyed the commands and hit enter.  30 seconds later, the system crashed, and 600 factory workers had to go home early because they could no longer access the computers to ship, change fabric rolls, enter orders, etc.  I supposed the smug look on my face is probably what did me in, but I tried to warn him amidst his swearing, but he would not have any of that.  I was technically 'downsized' 2 weeks later, but that was just a cover up (my immediate boss told me so).  DOn't worry too much about it, if you did nothing wrong.  It feels like s*** for a bit, depending on how much you liked the job, but it will pass. Good luck in your job hunt.

Well thank you for the words, that does make me feel better. I didn't really like my job, but just gettting fired is what makes it all feel bad even if I didn't do anything wrong.

http://tylenol.ytmnd.com/

Holy s*** where's the Tylenol? :P

Sounds like the guy who fired you was a grade A douchebag. But just be glad of a few things.

My first job was 3 days in fast food. In these three days:

I was locked in the freezer

Bitten on the leg by the boss's kid

Berated for murmuring "Damn" under my breath and not more than two minutes later, the same boss going on a 10 minute profanity laden tirade in front of her kid

I got paid $4.66 an hour

I was clocked out at 9 pm by the boss but was forced with the other workers to stay there until almost 1 am finishing work related activities (cleaning, etc.)

I wasn't fired from there -- I just stopped showing up after she scheduled me for 3 weeks without a day off. After I quit, I found out getting days off from her was a very rare happening.

I've been fired too. I was fired for writing a letter asking why we were doing something when the owner told us many times that we weren't going to do it. It was a...if I want your opinion, I'll give it to you. The guy probably didn't like you for some reason..and was looking for a way to get you out. Don't sweat it, it sucks, but it's for the best. Plus you'll get unemployment!!! :P

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 05:55 PM)
I've been fired too.  I was fired for writing a letter asking why we were doing something when the owner told us many times that we weren't going to do it.  It was a...if I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.  The guy probably didn't like you for some reason..and was looking for a way to get you out.  Don't sweat it, it sucks, but it's for the best.  Plus you'll get unemployment!!! :P

Yeah he didn't really like me. My cousin works there too, he wasn't working at the time but I told him and he later on called and wanted to know what the deal was, and the assistant manager said the let me go because I was talking back and he never used the word "fire." He did say I was fired and I didn't think I was talking back especially since I was making sure that I wasn't yelling or anything. So whatever, I'll just have to move on.

That sucks, WTell, but it doesn't sound like it was the greatest job anyway. The best way to get back at them is to find a better job you're happy with.

Evil, great story, and way to put your shmuk boss in his place. If he had any integrity he'd have admitted he was being an ass and needed it to be pointed out to him.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 08:59 PM)
That sucks, WTell, but it doesn't sound like it was the greatest job anyway.  The best way to get back at them is to find a better job you're happy with.

Evil, great story, and way to put your shmuk boss in his place.  If he had any integrity he'd have admitted he was being an ass and needed it to be pointed out to him.

haha thanks, I'm getting over it now, it's still gonna take some time of getting used to not going to work there anymore. But I'll find a better job I'm sure. Thanks for the advice FlaSoxxJim and Texsox.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 21, 2005 -> 01:59 AM)
That sucks, WTell, but it doesn't sound like it was the greatest job anyway.  The best way to get back at them is to find a better job you're happy with.

Evil, great story, and way to put your shmuk boss in his place.  If he had any integrity he'd have admitted he was being an ass and needed it to be pointed out to him.

I understand WilliamTell's frustration. At that time, I had bought a house 6 months earlier, and had been married for about 2 months, so I had alot of things on my plate. I actually didn't get 'fired' for 2 more weeks, but that was because MY boss refused to fire me, until the higher-ups threatened to fire her instead. Didn't have the balls to do it himself. He knew he was an ass, and in the end he got it also, when the President closed the factory and moved everything to a place by Tijuana. So he was either out of a job, or had to move down there!

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 04:02 PM)
This is the first time in my life that I've ever been fired so I feel really bad and kind of dazed about it. I know a lot of people get fired so it's not a huge deal or anything but just the way I was fired is what gets me upset. I was fired because my assistant manager thought I told him to settle down when I didn't even say that to him. He then said don't ever tell me to settle down again or else I'll fire you. I told him I didn't say that to him and then he asked if I wanted to be fired. I asked if he wanted me here and he said no then I said fine I'll put my 2 week notice in and he said you won't need that, you're fired, get out of here. So before I leave I talk to the manager and I told him thanks for hiring me back in March and he said I was a great kid, but since he didn't see or hear what happened, he has to stick with what the assistant manager says. I had no warnings or write ups or anything in the 5 months I was working there. It just surprises me that I'd get fired on something that I didn't even say to him. But say I said that, it would still amaze me that I'd get fired for that. All in all, I just don't think it was fair for them to fire me based on the emotion of the assistant manager, but who am I to judge that I guess. Now I have to look for a job so hopefully I can get one before college starts back up in 9 days.

That sux man. Stay focused on school, you'll have the last laugh. Screw that guy.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 21, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)
That sux man. Stay focused on school, you'll have the last laugh. Screw that guy.

Yeah, I worked at an oil changing place, not something I liked. But that's all he'll probably be doing his whole life. Whereas I want to go to school and have a career.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 04:02 PM)

That sucks...I've never actually gotten fired, but have quit a place cause of the boss being a dick..and also the job was a f***in waste of time for me...

Although I would've called the guy an asshole right before I left, but I'm disturbed :bang

And with school startin up their should be more jobs open from kids going back..you'll find one

good luck

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 05:28 PM)

Holy s*** where's the Tylenol?  :P

Sounds like the guy who fired you was a grade A douchebag.  But just be glad of a few things.

My first job was 3 days in fast food.  In these three days:

Berated for murmuring "Damn" under my breath and not more than two minutes later, the same boss going on a 10 minute profanity laden tirade in front of her kid

I got paid $4.66 an hour

I was clocked out at 9 pm by the boss but was forced with the other workers to stay there until almost 1 am finishing work related activities (cleaning, etc.)

I wasn't fired from there -- I just stopped showing up after she scheduled me for 3 weeks without a day off.  After I quit, I found out getting days off from her was a very rare happening.

Well, the 'boss' was probably only makin 7.50 an hour and had a miserable existence so boss person took out on others... Happens, although what a 3 days it was :chair

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Aug 21, 2005 -> 02:42 PM)
Yeah, I worked at an oil changing place, not something I liked. But that's all he'll probably be doing his whole life. Whereas I want to go to school and have a career.

Maybe, after you finish your education, you'll be his boss somewhere down the road. Wouldn't that be ironic?

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 04:28 PM)

Holy s*** where's the Tylenol?  :P

Sounds like the guy who fired you was a grade A douchebag.  But just be glad of a few things.

My first job was 3 days in fast food.  In these three days:

I got paid $4.66 an hour

I wasn't fired from there -- I just stopped showing up after she scheduled me for 3 weeks without a day off.  After I quit, I found out getting days off from her was a very rare happening.

How long ago was this? You mentioned two things that I believe are illegal.

One, an employer cannot legally make you stay past your scheduled time. If it says you are scheduled until 9PM then you can leave at 9PM or else they had better be paying you for the extra time.

Two, you cannot legally work for more than 14 days (I think it's 14) in a row without a day off. I believe they just made this law in the past 5-10 years.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 02:29 PM)
How long ago was this? You mentioned two things that I believe are illegal.

One, an employer cannot legally make you stay past your scheduled time. If it says you are scheduled until 9PM then you can leave at 9PM or else they had better be paying you for the extra time.

Two, you cannot legally work for more than 14 days (I think it's 14) in a row without a day off. I believe they just made this law in the past 5-10 years.

And they get into HUGE trouble if he was under 18 at the time as the labor laws are way more strict.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 03:02 PM)

I have a friend that was fired in a similair fashion. He was fired because another guy said something and then bumped into him as he stormed off. He was fired because of physical contact or some crap reason like that. This was after 11 years at the company...

I probably came thisclose to be fired once. It was a second job that I didn't really like and couldn't have cared less about. My main job was my first priority and they didn't like that very much. They also hated the fact that I never asked for a day off. I just told them (with plenty of time in advance) that I wouldn't be in on a specific day so don't schedule me. I got my first warning AFTER I had already put in my 2-week notice. I had been there almost 3 years...

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 10:21 AM)
Maybe, after you finish your education, you'll be his boss somewhere down the road.  Wouldn't that be ironic?

haha yeah that'd be really ironic. Fate has a weird way pulling tricks like that. Another thing is that I found out I supposively had 3 write-ups, which mean I did something wrong and they write it up or whatever. In a write up they're supposed to have a meeting with the person and get both signitures on it, I never had a meeting and never knew about these. I mean I know I wasn't perfect, but I never did anything terrible or worth getting a write-up. haha all I think I did was spilled a little of something which was a total accident. In the policy, after 3 write-ups you're supposed to be fired and I wasn't . Probably what they were saying was a bunch of bull.

Edited by WilliamTell