Today is the day--8/21/05 Game Thread

flyg88182

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Aug 21, 2005 -> 02:20 PM)
Keep wasting our best hitter's ab's....... :sleep

Why is he our best hitter?

He's batting just 9 points higher than Konerko, shares Kongs poor RISP stats, hits for less power than Kong, walks less than Kong, and strikes out at a much higher rate than Kong.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 21, 2005 -> 01:25 PM)
BTW, on the pregrame today, Iguchi supposedly told Rooney that he felt like he lost his rhythm at the plate when Ozzie sat him on the bench for those two consecutive games.

I don't think I like him blaming the manager for his own piss poor execution

This game is just about a must-win. If the Sox are lucky enough to get six good innings out of Contreras, give it to the bullpen for Cotts-to-Politte-to-Hermanson, or a combination of the three.

The Indians are going to win today, and a win today would be huge going into the roadtrip.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Aug 21, 2005 -> 07:26 PM)

Me neither, but all year, he's been saying that he hates days off because he feels like it messes up his swing. I actually don't blame Ozzie for this. Iguchi might be hitting the wall.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Aug 21, 2005 -> 01:26 PM)

Thats not the reason that Gooch is having a hard time lately. We took a number 3 hitter and asked him to become a number 2 hitter this year. Its a difficult transition, you go from being aggressive at the plate to having to wait a long time take a lot of pitches. He is always batting with 2 strikes. Hitting to right when you hit the ball further back in the hitting zone is how you hit to right with power, gooch has been dong it differently by utilizing a front step towards first and closing his stance off. That approach while successful, will prone you to slumps because of pitchers starting to beat you in on the hands. Its the direct opposite of trying to pull every pitch. Neither approach is good. You have to hit the ball where its pitched. If you try to pull a pitch on the outside corner we get classic corpseball, when you try and hit an inside pitch to right you get some real ugly looking swings.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 21, 2005 -> 12:24 PM)
Why is he our best hitter?

He's batting just 9 points higher than Konerko, shares Kongs poor RISP stats, hits for less power than Kong, walks less than Kong,  and strikes out at a much higher rate than Kong.

I think Iguchi should hit 3rd, he has to take alot of pitches w/ Pods on base, and has to sacrifice alot of his ab's to get risp. I believe he could hit .300, 20+ hr's, 100 rbi's batting 3rd. Rowand should bat 2nd, it will help him focus more on his ab's, get him more fastballs to hit, also he can hit the ball to the right side fairly well......... But that's just my opinion.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 21, 2005 -> 01:33 PM)
Good to see Jermaine Dye following the game plan that Greg Walker had.  Walker said they wanted all the hitters to be jumping on the first fastball they saw.

Jumping on the fist fastball you see will give Randy about 90 pitches by the 8th inning.

We have a low OBP for a reason. Work the f***ing count a bit. Its not like he is working with pinpoint control today.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 21, 2005 -> 01:39 PM)
I'm glad your vocabulary is so great that you need to use the word 'retarded' to describe a player.  Makes you look extremely mature.

Being called out about my maturity level on a web board. What will I ever do.

Edited by southsideirish71