Favorite Childhood Smells

Texsox

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SnB @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 09:57 AM)
i had this godzilla toy and it would smoke somehow and it would come out of his mouth, it had this weird burning smell to it.

Should have held on to that – I bet Gleason would pay you good money for it. :D

Favorite childhood smell for me is a snowy winter day – wierd I know because I moved to escape the cold. There's just something suprasensory about the cold dryness of the air and the smell of clean snow that fell the night before, mingled in with the smell of woodfires coming from the chimneys of the houses. Add the smell of hot cider or cocoa that you'd come in to back home and it's as close to being in a Dickens novel as a kid growing up in Chicago is going to get.

(No Dickens' Cider jokes, please)

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 09:19 AM)
Should have held on to that – I bet Gleason would pay you good money for it. :D

Nah, Sparking Goji's aren't all that rare. You can find them from any colector really. Cool toys though...for obvious reasons.

I get the smell of paste in my head every now and then, even though I never used it.

I understand the hog manure thing, as the smell of cow manure makes me think of childhood, and of my mom commenting on how she loved the smell, as she grew up on a farm.

The smell of electricity. It makes me think of my train set. I love that smell though.

The smell of cigarettets in certain situations reminds me of the ballpark.

Clove makes me think of my teen years at The Cabaret Metro and the old Medusa's. If you were there in the 80's, you know what I mean. That and Dep hair gel.

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)
Nah, Sparking Goji's aren't all that rare. You can find them from any colector really. Cool toys though...for obvious reasons.

If you don't name your next band "Sparking Gojis" there is no justice in the world.

:snr

Oh, no! There goes Tokyo!

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 10:21 AM)
If you don't name your next band "Sparking Gojis" there is no justice in the world.

:snr

Oh, no! There goes Tokyo!

Next band. Like that will ever happen. I'm solo from now on. My goals are so different from what anybody in a band situation would be. Plus the politics of band life just suck.

But that would be a cool name.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 11:31 AM)
Next band. Like that will ever happen. I'm solo from now on. My goals are so different from what anybody in a band situation would be. Plus the politics of band life just suck.

But that would be a cool name.

Put on your business suit for a minute. Have a band but have all the musicians be your employees. Great business model and there could be three or four "Sparklings" running around.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 10:34 AM)
Put on your business suit for a minute. Have a band but have all the musicians be your employees. Great business model and there could be three or four "Sparklings" running around.

And at the end of each show, you turn to the band and in your best Vince McMahon voice declare:

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYOU'RRRRRRRRRRRRRRE

FFFFIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRED!!!!!!!

That's the problem though. I can't find anybody to be the employees. There never was any questions really, when I have had bands, they were MY bands. I won't do bands anymore due to people always eventually want a say, and I won't give them a say. :D Nowdays a band will not be a "Band".

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 10:43 AM)
That's the problem though. I can't find anybody to be the employees. There never was any questions really, when I have had bands, they were MY bands. I won't do bands anymore due to people always eventually want a say, and I won't give them a say.  :D  Nowdays a band will not be a "Band".

Ladieeeeeeeeeeeees aaaaaaaaaaaand Gentlemennnnnnnnnn......

Without further adieu..................

Would you PLEASE welcome....................

Kid Gleason & The Voiceless Submissive Acolytes!!!!!

....I LIKE IT!!!!

:headbang

My grandmother's basement, it was just this wonderful smell. When I was little I would run into the house go to the basement door open it, walk down two steps take a deep smell then say, "Nana I loooooooooooove the smell of your basement." I would do that pretty much every day when I went there after pre-school and elementary school (as I got older it became kind of a joke).

Also, that plastic-y smell of the stores around back to school time.

Leaves burning.

Campfires.

Cornfields.

And, to dork up this thread. The reason smell is such a powerful emotional sense is because the receptors responsible for olfaction (glomerii, spelled wrong probably, but I can pronoune it correctly!) go directly into the brain without first being relayed through the thalamas (as in the other senses).

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 11:58 AM)
And, to dork up this thread. The reason smell is such a powerful emotional sense is because the receptors responsible for olfaction (glomerii, spelled wrong probably, but I can pronoune it correctly!) go directly into the brain without first being relayed through the thalamas (as in the other senses).

HOW THICK are your glasses? :P

Cool stuff.

When I lived in Chicago, I used to get "smell deja-vu" all the time. You know, "this reminds me of...." Unfortunately, here in Phoenix, I'm pretty sure the dry heat has melted that receptor in my nose/brain. Every once in a while, though, I'll look at a mop bucket and flash back to happpppy hour at CO's in Champaign. So many beers, so many beers. :cheers