Leagues Top Hurlers velocity-wise

Kyyle23

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...t=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Personally, i think this list is a joke. If you want to ask if these are among the best pitchers out there, well that is one thing. But this list is saying that these pitchers throw the hardest, and which do you think throws the hardest.

I dont want to sound like a homer, but Bobby Jenks should be on that list.

Clemens still gets it up there, but Randy Johnson hasnt seen the other side of 95 MPH the entire year. Schilling? Come on, the guy still hasnt regained his velocity, he tops out at 94. There are so many names missing on this list its unbelieveable.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 04:06 PM)
Carlos Zambrano is the hardest throwing starter in baseball. Period.

But he got bumped in favor of Prior. The whole context of the article is wrong, the guy isnt listing the top throwers (velocity-wise), he just pulled a bunch of names out of a hat.

Yeah, I saw this list last night and nearly posted something about it as well.

I like how they leave off guys like Jenks, Burnett, Beckett, Rich Harden(could be hardest throwing starter as well). Hell, even Sabathia and Peavy. And where the hell is BILLY TIME?!

Edited by SoxFanForever

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 04:28 PM)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "highest velocity" something we can, like, measure quantitatively? Something that we can make a top 10 or top 20 list about while relying exclusively on empirical data without an ounce of opinion or homerism?

I agree with you, but obviously we are wrong. ;)

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 03:02 PM)
Besides the guys already brought up, what about Bartolo Colon, Billy Wagner, and Jason Schmidt and Eric Gagne pre-injury? All of those guys can usually hit 98 with regularity.

Gagne. God, that guy was sick, wasn't he? a 98 heater followed by a 69 mph change up. What's the point in stepping into the box??

QUOTE(mochigon @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 06:48 PM)
Where's Jenks? Wagner,  Farsnsworth,  Zambie, Nathan, Wood, Harden among many others?

And Calfzilla used to reach 97. Now he'd be lucky to hit 95 on the "generous" FOX gun. Shilling? Whatever.

Cub fan, huh?

Prior's fastball is not that fast. It's from 92-to at tops 95. His fastball is similar to Neal Cotts in that it has jump to it so the batter thinks its going 95 MPH. His curve is easily his best pitch. I would have to say that Jenks is probably the most consistent hard thrower in terms of getting it up in the high 90's.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 10:07 PM)
The fastest pitcher that I've ever faced threw 88 mph. All of the guys mentioned in this thread are amazing. That is damn fast.

I once took swings during gym class against a friend of mine in HS that threw 100 mph. We were just screwing around, but he was throwing his hardest. I was terrified because he never had any control, and I was just throwing the bat out there while trying to get away from the plate. I'll never do it again. I don't know if I've ever been more scared. That kid hit plenty of people.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 10:12 PM)
got hit in the wrist catching a 80 MPH Fastball.  hurt like hell.

I got hit in the nuts when my pitcher OKed the fastball sign and decided to cross me up and throw a slider around 70 mph. I was down for a good amount of time in pain, thankfully I had a good cup on.

Was it a foultip that hit you in the wrist or off of the bounce? Both have happened to me over the years and it always kills, especially when it hits the bone sticking out of the wrist.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 10:18 PM)
I got hit in the nuts when my pitcher OKed the fastball sign and decided to cross me up and throw a slider around 70 mph. I was down for a good amount of time in pain, thankfully I had a good cup on.

Was it a foultip that hit you in the wrist or off of the bounce? Both have happened to me over the years and it always kills, especially when it hits the bone sticking out of the wrist.

no it hit me on the wrist on a fly. He usually has pin point control however he didn't have it. I had set up outside and he came inside so i moved my glove and it hit me right on the wrist.