Hey, Guess What?

The Critic

So my wife wanted an iPod, and we went and got her an iPod Mini on Friday.

What a f***ed-up piece of s*** THIS thing is!

It's already frozen on me once, forcing a complete re-install, and EVERYTHING I want to do takes f***in' forever. Loading songs, recharging the battery, everything. Awful, worthless piece of garbage.

Plus, you can't even delete individual songs. You have to basically reload it every time you want to add or subtract a song or two.

Two days in and I already want to take this little piece of s*** back to the store.

Shuffle on THIS!

:puke iPod

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 01:41 PM)
This is a perfect example of what you'd call user error.

I've been using my ipod for over a year now with no problem as are millions of others.

If that's the case, then there are a ton of users having this error, because there is a section of Apple's support page dedicated to the exact error I'm having.

Hray for you and your perfect year, but the one I have is awful.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 02:43 PM)
If that's the case, then there are a ton of users having this error, because there is a section of Apple's support page dedicated to the exact error I'm having.

Critic, are you updated with both the newest versions of iTunes and iPod Firmware?

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)

Which one do you have, the mini or the shuffle?

Which version of iTunes are you using?

What kind of computer are you using, RAM, Processor speed?

How are you connecting your ipod to your computer, via USB, USB 2.0 or Firewire?

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 01:45 PM)
Which one do you have, the mini or the shuffle?

Which version of iTunes are you using?

What kind of computer are you using, RAM, Processor speed?

How are you connecting your ipod to your computer, via USB, USB 2.0 or Firewire?

Mini

4.9, updated every time I plugged it in

512 RAM Compaq with XP home

USB 2.0

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 01:45 PM)
Critic, are you updated with both the newest versions of iTunes and iPod Firmware?

Yeah unless they came out with new versions in the last 2 days.

Like I said, I just got this thing for the Mrs.

Even before the freeze, I didn't like it anyway. Not very user-friendly, IMO, and I like to change my songs up more frequently, so I just go with my trusty CD/MP3 player and burned mp3 discs.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 07:52 PM)
Yeah unless they came out with new versions in the last 2 days.

Like I said, I just got this thing for the Mrs.

Even before the freeze, I didn't like it anyway. Not very user-friendly, IMO, and I like to change my songs up more frequently, so I just go with my trusty CD/MP3 player and burned mp3 discs.

to take individual songs off you just take it off of auto update, and go into the ipod on the computer and press clear...its not that difficult

QUOTE(bmags @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 01:56 PM)
to take individual songs off you just take it off of auto update, and go into the ipod on the computer and press clear...its not that difficult

I'll try that, if the damn thing ever gets done re-charging the battery. Two hours and counting right now on that simple task.

Good thing the Sox are winning or this thing would be through the window.... :D

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 07:59 PM)
I'll try that, if the damn thing ever gets done re-charging the battery. Two hours and counting right now on that simple task.

now i'm starting to think you got a lemon...my 20 gig takes only 4 to completely charge up

I've been thinking about getting an i Pod, cuz my wife loves hers. She has the one that holds like 24,000 songs. We buy CD's, burn them onto her laptop and from the laptop onto her i Pod. Basically most of our CD collection is on that one piece of equipment.

My only complaint is that it has pre set sound settings, so you can't play with the EQ and adjust bass and highs. Maybe we just haven't figured out how.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 03:01 PM)
That's what I was thinking in the first place....

i gotta agree that you got a bad product.

In the 1.5 years i've had my ipod, i had one problem where the battery became corrupted or something along those lines. I called apple and got a replacement within a week.

Even with that incident, i'm extremely happy w/ my ipod.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 08:03 PM)
I've been thinking about getting an i Pod, cuz my wife loves hers.  She has the one that holds like 24,000 songs. We buy CD's, burn them onto her laptop and from the laptop onto her i Pod.  Basically most of our CD collection is on that one piece of equipment.

My only complaint is that it has pre set sound settings, so you can't play with the EQ and adjust bass and highs. Maybe we just haven't figured out how.

EQ is in settings...theres also some program that puts the correct EQ for each song based on genre or something...i haven't found it yet...

Update:

After f***ing around with it a little, I was able to restore my wife's playlist and the thing seems stable.

Still not sure why the "do not disconnect" icon stayed up so long during the battery charge. I had to click on the "safely remove hardware" icon to remove the USB cable, then get out of the iTunes player and then do it all over again.

I'll definitely keep an eye on it - I guess it's a good thing I got the extended 3-year plan.

And thanks for the tip, bmags - I was able to get all of my "bad" songs ( my ugly punk & metal stuff ) off of her playlist. She will be VERY grateful to you.... :D

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 08:21 PM)
Update:

After f***ing around with it a little, I was able to restore my wife's playlist and the thing seems stable.

Still not sure why the "do not disconnect" icon stayed up so long during the battery charge. I had to click on the "safely remove hardware" icon to remove the USB cable, then get out of the iTunes player and then do it all over again.

I'll definitely keep an eye on it - I guess it's a good thing I got the extended 3-year plan.

And thanks for the tip, bmags - I was able to get all of my "bad" songs ( my ugly punk & metal stuff ) off of her playlist. She will be VERY grateful to you.... :D

your wife doesnt' like punk?

are you recharging through your USB on your computer? Because then, at least with mine, it always has the do not disconnect sign until i eject it...and if it doesn't eject it...if the computer says its not in there but it still has that screen for a while...just hold the menu button and the center white button until looks like it shuts off but really just resets...

QUOTE(bmags @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 02:51 PM)
your wife doesnt' like punk?

are you recharging through your USB on your computer? Because then, at least with mine, it always has the do not disconnect sign until i eject it...and if it doesn't eject it...if the computer says its not in there but it still has that screen for a while...just hold the menu button and the center white button until looks like it shuts off but really just resets...

She likes SOME metal and almost no punk, and she likes a lot of "Mix 101.9 music". I get THAT LOOK when I play most of my stuff :D .

And yeah, I've been recharging via the PC until I get a charger for it. Thanks for the tip on that icon not leaving, although the icon did drop off a couple times before. That's been the frustration so far - seems like nothing is consistent with it.

I guess I just have to learn more about the damn thing, which I'm not really looking forward to.... :huh