White Sox VS. Red SOX -Game thread (Sep 5th)

kman

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)
I'm not that familliar with pitch grips, but I think a circle change gets it's name from the formation of a circle by the Index finger and Thumb on the side of the ball. --

McCarthy's change

Looks like McCarthy gets his middle finger to be part of the 'circle' too. Whether that makes it a screwball, I don't know?

You're right on the circle change name origination. I have never ever seen the middle finger being part of the 'circle' though. For a screwball you usually twist your wrist in the opposite direction of whatever hand you throw with.

Edited by 3E8

I'm not that familliar with pitch grips, but I think a circle change gets it's name from the formation of a circle by the Index finger and Thumb on the side of the ball. --

McCarthy's change

Looks like McCarthy gets his middle finger to be part of the 'circle' too. Whether that makes it a screwball, I don't know?

It becomes a screwball, of sorts, if a righthanded pitcher releases with the wrist and forearm twisting slightly left. Releasing and twisting the wrist and forearm slightly right is the curveball.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 11:08 AM)

McCarthy's change

yeah bmacs is a variation of a circle change, its similar to a screwball in the fact that pressure is applied to the left side of the ball. im not sure how the ball comes out of brandons hand, or if he snaps a particular way with his wrist. judging from his grip he probably rolls it off his ring/pinkey finger. Its possible to even flick outward with his pointer/middle which gives the ball more spin and would tend to move more like a screwball