Should McCarthy move to the rotation?

VAfan

That's what the Sox should do the rest of September after tonight. It gives the Sox a better look at McCarthy in advance of next year, and it both rests El Duque and gives him a chance to adapt to the bullpen where he's certainly going to go for the postseason the way Contreras has been pitching.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 07:32 PM)
That's what the Sox should do the rest of September after tonight.  It gives the Sox a better look at McCarthy in advance of next year, and it both rests El Duque and gives him a chance to adapt to the bullpen where he's certainly going to go for the postseason the way Contreras has been pitching.

uh take a look at El Duque's record in the playoffs. It's outstanding. Im sorry, I love what Contreras has done all year to, however El Duque will be in the starting rotation for the playoffs.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 12:42 AM)
uh take a look at El Duque's record in the playoffs.  It's outstanding.  Im sorry, I love what Contreras has done all year to, however El Duque will be in the starting rotation for the playoffs.

El Duque hasn't done squat in the playoffs in years. He's a shell of his former self. You want to start our worst pitcher?

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 01:04 AM)
This is being discussed in another thread started by me. And the title also misled me.

With all due respect, "BMac blessing in disguise" is not a name for a thread that I would go to to discuss that BMac should go into the starting rotation and El Duque should go to the bullpen for the rest of the season.

Change my title if you like, but respond to the subject.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 07:32 PM)
That's what the Sox should do the rest of September after tonight.  It gives the Sox a better look at McCarthy in advance of next year, and it both rests El Duque and gives him a chance to adapt to the bullpen where he's certainly going to go for the postseason the way Contreras has been pitching.

we've had a lot of poor ideas lately regarding the rotation. for god's sake, if it aint broke, dont fix it!!

I'm not sure 2 starts, all be it two dominant starts against the 2 best offenses in the AL, is enough to bump El Duque to the pen and promote B-mac to starter. The Sox have gotten this far with the 5 guys they've had all year. No need to to make any big decisions right now. However, if B-mac continues to pitch like he has been, things could change.

I want to see El Duque the rest of the season in the rotation because of his record in the postseason. However, I don't want to see KW and Ozzie let Duque start a big playoff game if he is still struggling. He can't be allowed to start on reputation alone

If he pitches well the rest of the year give him a shot, if not, he can't be trusted

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 05:01 AM)
I want to see El Duque the rest of the season in the rotation because of his record in the postseason.  However, I don't want to see KW and Ozzie let Duque start a big playoff game if he is still struggling.  He can't be allowed to start on reputation alone

If he pitches well the rest of the year give him a shot, if not, he can't be trusted

Duque isn't the same dominant pitcher in the playoffs the past few years that he was when the Yanks were making their big runs. I would rather see Mac get a chance to shine and develop in the big race.

I think it's a lose/lose situation. If Ozzie goes with Duque, and he doesn't pitch as well as we hope, Ozzie's a moron for not going with the kid. If Ozzie goes with B-mac, and B-mac, like a lot of 22 year old rookies would, chokes on the national stage, in the post-season, Ozzie's a moron for not going with the experienced vet.