Glad we didn't trade for Vizquel

VAfan

Prior to the trade deadline, I thought we should swap Contreras and Uribe (and Brian Anderson) for Vizquel and Schmidt.

Now I wouldn't even make that trade heads up.

Contreras has obviously found something that he didn't have before in his current win streak. Unlike Brandon McCarthy, I don't think it's a new arm angle. But pitching 3 straight games without a walk is amazing for him, as is walking 5 guys and still shutting out KC for 7-2/3 innings.

But what really caused me to write this post is Uribe's "leg-kick" transformation. Of course he's not going to keep this pace up, but here's what he's done since August 31, after he instituted his new leg kick.

Aug. 31 @TEX L 9-2 3 1 2 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 .284 .361 .645 .242

Sep. 1 DET W 12-3 4 1 3 2 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 .289 .370 .659 .247

Sep. 2 DET W 9-1 2 2 1 0 0 1 3 2 0 0 0 .293 .379 .672 .248

Sep. 3 DET W 6-2 4 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .295 .380 .675 .251

Sep. 4 DET W 2-0 Did not play

Sep. 5 @BOS W 5-3 4 2 3 1 0 1 2 0 0 0 0 .299 .393 .692 .256

Sep. 6 KC W 6-5 4 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 .299 .400 .699 .256

Sep. 7 KC W 1-0 2 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 .301 .405 .706 .257

Sep. 8 KC L 4-2 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 .298 .401 .699 .254

Monthly Totals 24 6 11 3 1 3 8 2 1 0 0 .519 1.042 1.560 .458

With it, I hope we get a lot more of the guy who finished 2004 with a .506 slugging percentage and an .833 OPS. Since he's also younger and a slightly better defender than Vizquel, I'm happy the Sox have Juan.

Now if only Aaron Rowand could find his 2004 bat......

Umm, from what I've seen it is a new arm angle that has been the difference for Jose. He's throwing 3/4's a whole lot more and its really working. He's also working a bit quicker and has obviously been limiting the walks. Even more impressive was his last outing where he was able to shutout the opponents despite giving up quite a bit of baserunners early on (which are usually the curse to Jose).

I've always said, get a leadoff single or man aboard on Jose and you have a very good shoot at scoring runs. He just stinks with runners on, but seems to be making strides in that category. I also think some of it has to do with confidence and his confidence has to be growing.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 05:26 PM)
slightly better defender?  I dont think so.

We've had this discussion, haven't we? Juan has the stronger arm, but I don't think his range is that great, and Vizquel never makes errors. But I'm also happy we have Juan, so don't nitpick.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 12:43 PM)
We've had this discussion, haven't we?  Juan has the stronger arm, but I don't think his range is that great, and Vizquel never makes errors.  But I'm also happy we have Juan, so don't nitpick.

how is that nitpicking? Omar is a better defender, you said Uribe was.

Omar

E-8

FPCT-.991

RF-4.59

ZR-.878

Uribe

E-14

FPCT-.976

RF-4.63

ZR-.847

Yes, we've gone through this before.

Omar is the better defender now...but he's starting to tail off with time. His numbers are down quite a bit from when he was with Cleveland.

Uribe is in his first full year at shortstop...and he had a fairly rough start there this year with a bunch of errors early. He's settling down more with time (although I think he had an E last night didn't he?)

The real key matter is whether or not Uribe can keep his bat hot. If he does that...no one on Earth would rather have Vizquel. We saw that to start the year last year...a hot Uribe can carry an offense almost single handedly. Let's just hope he stays on fire through the end of October.

And man...would our rotation have been worse without Jose? Hell yeah. Man I'm glad we didn't drop him.

Also worth noting here...in his last start...Jason Schmidt left after 4 2/3 innings with some sort of a groin tweak...I haven't heard more about him since.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 01:51 PM)
Uribe is in his first full year at shortstop...and he had a fairly rough start there this year with a bunch of errors early.  He's settling down more with time (although I think he had an E last night didn't he?)

Technically, it is Juan's second full season at SS, first with Chicago. Juan played in 155 games at SS in 2002 with Colorado.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 06:49 PM)
Anyone think Rowand should also try a leg kick?  I know Ozzie has used him at just about every place in the lineup, but we need him to hit like he did last year.

Absolutely not. All that would do is f*** up that gorgeous swing of his. His stance is perfect for his swing, the lean-in that he does helps him keep a shorter stroke a leg kick would just would just elongate his swing. Rowand has been hot of late, it's not time to start f***ing with him.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 10, 2005 -> 12:00 AM)
Absolutely not. All that would do is f*** up that gorgeous swing of his. His stance is perfect for his swing, the lean-in that he does helps him keep a shorter stroke a leg kick would just would just elongate his swing. Rowand has been hot of late, it's not time to start f***ing with him.

Maybe I should have put the "leg kick" in green.

But "hot of late"??? Who are you watching. He's got a .266 OBP in the month of August, and its bumped all the way up to .290 in September. That sucks.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 08:44 PM)
Maybe I should have put the "leg kick" in green. 

But "hot of late"???  Who are you watching.  He's got a .266 OBP in the month of August, and its bumped all the way up to .290 in September.  That sucks.

Check his game log. He's hot.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 10, 2005 -> 01:47 AM)
Check his game log. He's hot.

He's 7 for 29 with 2 walks in September. When did that become "hot"?? That is awful.

Ross Gload went 45 for 107 in AAA in August with 7 HRs, 14 2Bs, 24 runs scored and 24 RBI. That's hot.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 10, 2005 -> 02:05 AM)
.329 batting average over 13 games when he was previously hitting .270 before that stretch.

He went 6 for 12 against Texas pitching. Since then, in 9 games, he's 7 for 31, with 1 HR, 2 runs, and 4 RBI in the middle of the lineup. You still think he's "hot"??

Uribe and Konerko. They are hot.

If you are going to talk baseball intelligently, don't butcher the numbers.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 09:10 PM)
He went 6 for 12 against Texas pitching.  Since then, in 9 games, he's 7 for 31, with 1 HR, 2 runs, and 4 RBI in the middle of the lineup.  You still think he's "hot"??

Uribe and Konerko.  They are hot. 

If you are going to talk baseball intelligently, don't butcher the numbers.

Or how about he was hot over an 11 game span but has cooled off the past 2 games.

Aug. 28 - Sept. 6 (11 gms): 16-41 (.390 BA) HOT

Aug. 28 - Aug. 31 (5 gms): 9-20 (.450 BA) HOT

Sept. 1 - Sept. 6 (6 gms): 7-21 (.333 BA) HOT

Sept. 7 - Sept. 8 (2 gms): 0-8 (.000 BA) COLD

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 10, 2005 -> 02:25 AM)
Or how about he was hot over an 11 game span but has cooled off the past 2 games.

Aug. 28 - Sept. 6 (11 gms): 16-41 (.390 BA) HOT

Aug. 28 - Aug. 31 (5 gms): 9-20 (.450 BA) HOT

Sept. 1 - Sept. 6 (6 gms): 7-21 (.333 BA) HOT

Sept. 7 - Sept. 8 (2 gms): 0-8 (.000 BA) COLD

His last 9 games, he's hitting below .250, his OBP is less than .300, and he's only hit 1 HR during that period, so his slugging isn't making up for his lack of hitting.

He's been cool or cold in 8 of those 9 games, with the only exception being September 3rd against Detroit when he had a HR and 3B.

Under no definition can you say he's been HOT.

QUOTE(JimH @ Sep 10, 2005 -> 08:31 AM)
Too bad he can't make an accurate key throw in the 12th inning when it's needed though.

Jim. I know you're looking for a reason to discredit the Gload Army, but Gload never made a throw last night.

Iguchi was covering first becuase Gload had charged the bunt attempt.

Jim. I know you're looking for a reason to discredit the Gload Army, but Gload never made a throw last night.

Iguchi was covering first becuase Gload had charged the bunt attempt.

Gload should have got his ass out of the way then.

QUOTE(JimH @ Sep 10, 2005 -> 11:10 AM)
Gload should have got his ass out of the way then.

I like Gload a lot but I agree with you.

I just realized that Gload was standing on the foul line which would be the ideal angle for Iguchi to throw the ball.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Sep 10, 2005 -> 11:14 AM)
I like Gload a lot but I agree with you.

I just realized that Gload was standing on the foul line which would be the ideal angle for Iguchi to throw the ball.

Molina was also running on the foul line so he couldn't throw down that angle unless he wants to follow through into Benjie's face.