NCAA Overtime

I was watching the ND-MSU game Saturday, and I have to say that I hate the way NCAA overtime is handled. I am an ND fan (beat you to the punch), but that isn't the problem. I just think that giving each team the ball from the 30yd line and seeing if they can score is not a good way to handle OT. I like that each team gets a chance (the NFL should adopt that rule), but think a regular kickoff is a better way. Both teams should be guaranteed a possession in OT. If the game is still tied after one possession for each team, the game should be sudden death. What do you think?

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 11:54 PM)
I was watching the ND-MSU game Saturday, and I have to say that I hate the way NCAA overtime is handled.  I am an ND fan (beat you to the punch), but that isn't the problem.  I just think that giving each team the ball from the 30yd line and seeing if they can score is not a good way to handle OT.  I like that each team gets a chance (the NFL should adopt that rule), but think a regular kickoff is a better way.  Both teams should be guaranteed a possession in OT.  If the game is still tied after one possession for each team, the game should be sudden death.  What do you think?

I'm not a fan either. You are taking some major elements out of the game. OT is extremely exciting, but I didn't have a problem with ties in college. It made in game coaching decisions so much tougher.

I go to Rutgers and saw the overtime system lose me a game this year. If your team doesn't have momentum, you are pretty much screwed.

However, I think the current format is fun and excitng...I love it.

If Jeremy Ito could kick, Rutgers would be undefeated, but all of you Illinois fans would be depressed lol. :P

I like the NCAA overtime better. Not only do I like it because both teams get the ball, but I like that most of the time a touchdown wins the game. NFL overtimes just seem so anti-climactic most of the time. A couple of first downs and teams play for the FG and stop going for the endzone. With the threat of your opponent matching or beating it, you can't let up. I like the idea of starting them further back though. The 50 yard line would be a good spot in my opinion because it forces you to about 25 yards to get a reasonable field goal attempt.

QUOTE(SnB @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 07:22 AM)
i like ncaa overtime, it's about as exciting as you can get.

AGreed. I like the idea of both teams getting a shot. The one thing I am not high in is that when a defense finishes the first OT, they are right back out there to start the 2nd. Team won the OT coin toss for a reason.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 09:56 AM)
I like the NCAA overtime better. Not only do I like it because both teams get the ball, but I like that most of the time a touchdown wins the game. NFL overtimes just seem so anti-climactic most of the time. A couple of first downs and teams play for the FG and stop going for the endzone. With the threat of your opponent matching or beating it, you can't let up. I like the idea of starting them further back though. The 50 yard line would be a good spot in my opinion because it forces you to about 25 yards to get a reasonable field goal attempt.

This is why I'd like to see both teams guaranteed one possesion. In the NFL, it seems that 75% of the time the team that receives the kick goes down and kicks a FG to win it. Doesn't seem fair. However, if they knew that the other team was going to get a chance to receive a kick and drive down for a TD to beat them, it would make the OT more exciting. If they were still tied after one possesion each, the game would be sudden death.

The current NCAA system doesn't work for me because the field is too short (starting from the 25), so the defense is kind of forced to play passively. If the team had to drive the length of the field for a score, the teams would play more true to their natural style.

QUOTE(1549 @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 11:37 AM)
I go to Rutgers and saw the overtime system lose me a game this year.  If your team doesn't have momentum, you are pretty much screwed.

However, I think the current format is fun and excitng...I love it.

If Jeremy Ito could kick, Rutgers would be undefeated, but all of you Illinois fans would be depressed lol. :P

The overtime system cost you the game?

LMAO

I like the NCAA system just fine. If I were to make a change, I would consider making each team start 5 yards farther back in each subsequent OT beyond the first (no farther than the 50 though). Defenses are often so tired when games go to multiple OT's it is too easy to score. Moving the starting spot back would give them a little more margin for error even if giving them more ground to cover.

QUOTE(1549 @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 04:00 PM)
Sorry, I did not mean to imply that RU got screwed by the system, nothing could be further from the truth.  I meant to describe how if a team does not have momentum, they will likely not walk out of O.T. with a victory.

Rutgers lost to Illinois because A- bad play in the red-zone.  B- bad kicking.  C- Uninspired second half defense.  D- horrible play call.

I don't want to take anything away from Illinois, you guys played a hell of a lot better than we did in the second half.  But, plain and simple, a team doesn't make up a 20 point defecit without a little help from their opponent.

Fair enough. I literally thought you blamed the overtime system for the loss, which would be really odd. No doubt we got some help from you guys. It usually takes 2 for a ridiculous comeback

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 08:23 PM)
I like the NCAA system just fine.  If I were to make a change, I would consider making each team start 5 yards farther back in each subsequent OT beyond the first (no farther than the 50 though).  Defenses are often so tired when games go to multiple OT's it is too easy to score.  Moving the starting spot back would give them a little more margin for error even if giving them more ground to cover.

I LOOOOVE your change to the system. If you start them at the 40 or 50 to begin with, then you can go through a couple of OTs with 3-and-outs, and that's not exciting. But starting at the 25 is a little ridiculous, if you have a good kicker, all you have to do is play to the middle of the field and maybe get another 5 or 10 yards.

BUUUUUUT, with Rexy's system, the scoring still happens, but it gets progressively harder for each team. Great idea Rex.

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 12:54 AM)
I was watching the ND-MSU game Saturday, and I have to say that I hate the way NCAA overtime is handled.  I am an ND fan (beat you to the punch), but that isn't the problem.  I just think that giving each team the ball from the 30yd line and seeing if they can score is not a good way to handle OT.  I like that each team gets a chance (the NFL should adopt that rule), but think a regular kickoff is a better way.  Both teams should be guaranteed a possession in OT.  If the game is still tied after one possession for each team, the game should be sudden death.  What do you think?

I like it better than ties but i would make 2pt conv start at 2nd OT not 3rd.