Bandwagon Jumpers

aboz56

The true fans will stick out in any crowd... just look for how dirty their sox hat is.

I wouldn't use this criterion. I wore my cap last night, first time ever outside of a game. For me, it's almost religious garb to don my Sox attire. But I wear it with love and devotion and pride.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd throw some of the ultra-pessimistic people who will try to hop back on board into the mix of those I don't want on the "bandwagon."

They swarmed the board when the Sox were playing poorly, and, thankfully, most of the tools are posting less or not at all.

I still can't understand how supposed fans of a team can hate every player and expect them to lose while still calling themselves fans.

QUOTE(MinnySoxFan @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 09:25 PM)
I don't have a huge problem with bandwagoners.  If they want to hop on, go ahead.  Don't worry.  We're never going to turn into the SAUX or the Cubbies.  The bandwagoners just have to know that it will be more fun and mean more to the rest of us than it does to them.  That's all. 

Otherwise, hop on board.  Give us money.  And support this awesome awesome team.

Go Sox.

I agree strongly with this. Great post.

I'm just curious, and it really has nothing to do with this thread...but does anybody have any good grasp on what the racial mix of this board is? I don't care and maybe it would be better if we didn't know so it doesn't play into people's thoughts, but I'm just curious whether this board shares much of the same diversity that makes the Sox fan base great?

...but does anybody have any good grasp on what the racial mix of this board is? ....

LOL. I guess I missed the racial check boxes when I registered.

Why don’t you start a poll so we’ll have an idea about our diversity? You know, like:

White

White/Irish

White/Anglo-Irish

White/Southside Irish

White/lace-curtain Irish

White/shanty Irish

White/black Irish

White/Fighting Irish

Other

I see no reason to not grab as many people and convert them and f*** THE CUBS. But if y'all want to show the Cubs some respect and not go and steal their casual fans, I guess y'all like the Cubs more than I do. That's the battle. Taking casual Cub fans and making them casual Sox fans.

I'm certain that Brooks will use that as a marketing program for next season.

If we want to remain the #2 team in the market, don't take advantage of a winning season.

If we want to continue the 2nd best media treatment, don't trade on a winning season.

If we don't want the salary dollars that comes with drawing 3,000,000 fans, don't encourage bandwagon jumpers.

I find a new restaurant that I like, I encourage friends to go there. I see a good movie, I encourage friends to see it. Same thing with every other area of entertainment, etc.

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 01:35 AM)
LOL.  I guess I missed the racial check boxes when I registered.

Why don’t you start a poll so we’ll have an idea about our diversity?  You know, like:

White

White/Irish

White/Anglo-Irish

White/Southside Irish

White/lace-curtain Irish

White/shanty Irish

White/black Irish

White/Fighting Irish

Other

Heh. So that's why there is so much fighting on here!

QUOTE(kevin57 @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 10:27 PM)
The true fans will stick out in any crowd... just look for how dirty their sox hat is.

I wouldn't use this criterion.  I wore my cap last night, first time ever outside of a game.  For me, it's almost religious garb to don my Sox attire.  But I wear it with love and devotion and pride.

I have a dirty hat myself, I could prove it

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I'm all for new White Sox fans coming aboard. They aren't going to water down my elation a bit when the White Sox reach the World Series and win it.

Now I don't live in Chicago anymore, and don't have to fight for ALCS tickets (though I did buy some unused ones on line back in 2000), so I don't have to put up with any inconveniences that bandwagon fans might cause.

But I think it would be tremendous if the whole City of Chicago came out in support of the White Sox.

GO SOX!!!

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 12:35 AM)
LOL.  I guess I missed the racial check boxes when I registered.

Why don’t you start a poll so we’ll have an idea about our diversity?  You know, like:

White

White/Irish

White/Anglo-Irish

White/Southside Irish

White/lace-curtain Irish

White/shanty Irish

White/black Irish

White/Fighting Irish

Other

Damn Irish, messing things up all the time.

QUOTE(scotty22hotty @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 10:22 PM)
Although bandwagon jumpers can suck... in the end it means more $$$ to keep Konerko, AJ and sign more bullpen help for next year.

Check out these two bad boys

The hat on the left was bought in 1999. The hat on the right was bought in 2000, and was the hat I wore on my wedding day

Went camping this weekend and one in the group is a die hard Cub fan. He congratulated me on the Sox success and said he hoped they would get swept in the next round. I told him I finally found a cub fan I could admire, I hated ’03, prayed fervently for the Marlins, and rubbed the sh_t in his face after they choked. If he had tried to jump aboard I would have lost all respect for him. He’s a good guy but he was born to his team as I was to mine.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 09:01 AM)
I would just like to say to all of the bandwagon jumpers who are trying to get on this truck that is steamrolling ahead that we don't want you!

Everyone at Soxtalk knows who has been with us through the thick and the thin.

It's just gross how all of these "White Sox" fans are emerging from the woodwork now that we are a force to be reckoned with in the playoffs.

I remember the third game of the season, when we barely had 10,000 people at the game.  I was there.  Where were all of these bums? 

I would just like to give a big hell YEAH to all of my fellow soxtalkers who have been here since the beginning and have been Sox fans for years and a lot of us since birth.  We are the ones who are enjoying this the most.

And to the chat crew, it's been a great season and thank you for letting me become the people's admin.... :P

Meh, I wouldn't worry too much about bandwagon fans. The more people that go to games = more money Reinsdorf will spend on salary. So what if some people discover how much fun watching the Sox is? Sounds like a win win situation to me. But I can understand a healthy weariness of new fans, it would obviously suck if our beloved ball park starts to be filled with "fans" that pee all over their precious shrine on the north side.

ps.

i haven't posted here since the beginning, but i was going to Sox games before you were born. :drink

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 08:00 PM)
Meh, I wouldn't worry too much about bandwagon fans.  The more people that go to games = more money Reinsdorf will spend on salary.  So what if some people discover how much fun watching the Sox is?  Sounds like a win win situation to me. But I can understand a healthy weariness of new fans, it would obviously suck if our beloved ball park starts to be filled with "fans" that pee all over their precious shrine on the north side.

ps.

i haven't posted here since the beginning, but i was going to Sox games before you were born.  :drink

Are you the mister genius from ESPN.com?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 03:15 PM)
Someone pull up those "Are you in or out?" threads that were going around 2 and 3 weeks ago. Ya think they might be an interesting read right about now? :D

I was just reading that thread for the hell of it, there are quite a few bandwagon fans in that thread.