Jermaine Dye to 1B

DBAHO

:cheers  :cheers  :cheers  :cheers

No one wants to see a full meltdown, but if the Sox were to win it all, whatever good happens in 2006 is just the cherry on top.

BTW Anthrax, where ya been??? :banghead

I been around just not posting popping in reading; lot going on.. but seems that things are whinding down so I hear more often..

Sorry but I want to win every year no matter what..Why is it that the Yankees/REdSox/braves are able to do it? What makes them so great?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 11:36 AM)
I been around just not posting popping in reading; lot going on.. but seems that things are whinding down so I hear more often..

Sorry but I want to win every year no matter what..Why is it that the Yankees/REdSox/braves are able to do it?  What makes them so great?

Are you willing to admit that KW did a great job this year in building this team yet?

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 11:24 PM)
Might not get to $18 mill but I wouldn't bet against  4-5 yrs at $15 mill. annually. If we could offer Mags that kinda contract we can offer it to Paulie.

Um, no. Konerko and Ordonez aren't nearly the same kind of player.

Power: Konerko > Maggs

Average: Konerko

Speed: Konerko

Defense: Different Positions so Konerko = Maggs

Arm: Different Positions but Konerko

Consistency: Konerko

Maggs is a much better all around player than Konerko or atleast he was when we offered him the contract. Magglio is much closer to an all around player compared to Konerko who is basically 1 dimentional. You don't give a one dimensional ballplayer $15M that's a f***ing joke.

Edited by Kalapse

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 11:49 AM)
Um, no. Konerko and Ordonez aren't nearly the same kind of player.

Power: Konerko > Maggs

Average: Konerko

Speed: Konerko

Defense: Different Positions so Konerko = Maggs

Arm: Different Positions but Konerko

Maggs is a much better all around player than Konerko or atleast he was when we offered him the contract. Magglio is much closer to an all around player compared to Konerko who is basically 1 dimentional. You don't give a one dimensional ballplayer $15M that's a f***ing joke.

Konerko=team leader

Maggs=joke

Konerko=said he would give the sox a home team discount

Maggs=left because of more money

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 04:23 PM)
no, no, no no.  Jones?? Come on.  He is no replacement for Paulie and has no fit on this team.  Paulie needs to be resigned.  We get rid of Everett, Frank's salary, resign pauly, and we still have money to play with.  Not to mention the possible surge of minor league talent, which could allow us to trade some peices as well.  Going younger is much better than getting overpaid no so talented cast offs.

For about the 20th time in the post, this is all speculation assuming PK goes elsewhere. We all want him to come back, but he's putting himself in prime position to get high payroll teams in a bidding war for him. Thus, that's why we're talking about scenarios about what happens if he goes to another team.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 12:19 PM)
For about the 20th time in the post, this is all speculation assuming PK goes elsewhere.  We all want him to come back, but he's putting himself in prime position to get high payroll teams in a bidding war for him.  Thus, that's why we're talking about scenarios about what happens if he goes to another team.

So you really think Jones is a possible scenario? Knowing all that you do about our system, our players chemistry, and KW?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 05:33 PM)
So you really think Jones is a possible scenario?  Knowing all that you do about our system, our players chemistry, and KW?

Absolutely. He's the type of fighter than KW and Ozzie would love. If we can bring in AJP, we can bring in anyone. I know we all want the Sox to get someone like Giles for the outfield, but that's just not very realistic. If you get someone like Jones to play the outfield, you could then have Brian Anderson be his back-up for a season, and get playing time against tough lefty pitchers.

God dang it PK pisses me off. He blows in the 1st half when we dont need him then goes on a tear when the rest of the team is stinking in the 2nd half but then is super clutch in the playoffs. 2/3....not bad, resign him. He and MB are obviously the glue in the clubhouse.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 12:36 PM)
God dang it PK pisses me off. He blows in the 1st half when we dont need him then goes on a tear when the rest of the team is stinking in the 2nd half but then is super clutch in the playoffs. 2/3....not bad, resign him. He and MB are obviously the glue in the clubhouse.

Depends on what you mean by "he blows in the first half". His first half of the year had the same amount of HR's as the second half, and 10 more RBI's than the second half. He just couldnt hit for contact in the first half :\

But yes, he and MB are the glue in the clubhouse. Buehrle controls the staff and Konerko controls the offense. Losing either one would be a huge blow to this team.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 12:35 PM)
Absolutely.  He's the type of fighter than KW and Ozzie would love.  If we can bring in AJP, we can bring in anyone.  I know we all want the Sox to get someone like Giles for the outfield, but that's just not very realistic.  If you get someone like Jones to play the outfield, you could then have Brian Anderson be his back-up for a season, and get playing time against tough lefty pitchers.

since when do we have a spot open in the OF?

FYI, Brian Anderson is ready, and IF there is a spot open, it will be his. We wont bring in another player to fill in an OF spot, especially someone like Jaque Jones.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 05:53 PM)
since when do we have a spot open in the OF?

FYI, Brian Anderson is ready, and IF there is a spot open, it will be his.  We wont bring in another player to fill in an OF spot, especially someone like Jaque Jones.

Again, as the title of this thread suggests, it's regarding a situation where Dye goes to 1b. Thus, we would then have RF open. I don't think Anderson is ready to be a full-time starter at the MLB level on a contending team. He'd be better off getting a full year as a 4th outfielder. If we were to lose PK, and basically replaced his offense with Anderson.....our offense would be worse next season than it was for a good portion of this season. And don't tell me you don't want Jones cause he K's too much. Anderson would strike out a ton if he played 130 games also in the majors.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 12:57 PM)
Again, as the title of this thread suggests, it's regarding a situation where Dye goes to 1b.  Thus, we would then have RF open.  I don't think Anderson is ready to be a full-time starter at the MLB level on a contending team.  He'd be better off getting a full year as a 4th outfielder.  If we were to lose PK, and basically replaced his offense with Anderson.....our offense would be worse next season than it was for a good portion of this season.  And don't tell me you don't want Jones cause he K's too much.  Anderson would strike out a ton if he played 130 games also in the majors.

So Dye to 1B???? SHould I automatically start a thread where a-row catches, because its about as likely.

Dont care if Jones K's too much. You are worried about the offensive drop off huh? Consider this

Jones-.249 .319 23 73.

If that isnt a drop off, then I dont know what is. If you dont think Anderson could possibly best a pedestrian .249 avg and .319 OBP then he shouldnt be our top prospect. Not to mention Jones made 5 million this year, and will probably look for something at that level or above, I would say he is overpaid and underperforms. His BA has been steadily sinking for about 4 years, as well as his OBP. His k's have been rising as well. Looks to me like he has peaked and is downturning as we speak. I do not see him as a good replacement for Konerko's offense as you used as an argument against Anderson. With the money saved on PK, Everett, Frank etc, we would be in the market for a replacement bat that would play the position that we need, and if its an OF, expect Dye to DH, not play 1B. Dont forget that we need a DH as well next year considering Frank likely wont play or wont be back.

You may want to look farther than the first name you see on ESPN to find a decent player to plug into our starting lineup, cause Jones is not a good fit.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 12:57 PM)
Again, as the title of this thread suggests, it's regarding a situation where Dye goes to 1b.  Thus, we would then have RF open.  I don't think Anderson is ready to be a full-time starter at the MLB level on a contending team.  He'd be better off getting a full year as a 4th outfielder.  If we were to lose PK, and basically replaced his offense with Anderson.....our offense would be worse next season than it was for a good portion of this season.  And don't tell me you don't want Jones cause he K's too much.  Anderson would strike out a ton if he played 130 games also in the majors.

I agree. Watching Anderson in a few games he played with the Sox near the end of the season really didn't give me a great confidence that he is ready for the major league at all! Like someone said, if Anderson takes over RF and Dye to 1B, we HAVE to acquire a good DH bat. HAVE TO! There's no other way around it.

If we can bring Konerko back and trade Marte and minor leaguers to Milwaukee for Overbay, we will have an awesome team next year!!!

What about Crede and 3B position? Will Crede still be under contract for next season?

2006 Hitting Lineup:

Pods LF

Iguchi 2B

Overbay 1B

Konerko DH

Dye RF

Rowand CF

AJ C

Uribe SS

Crede 3B

2006 Starting Pitching Lineup:

Contreras

Buehrle

Garcia

Garland

McCarthy

2006 Bullpen:

El Duque

Politte

Cotts

Jenks

Vizcaino

Hermanson

With this lineup, we DEFINITELY will be in contention again in 2006!

QUOTE(spataro51 @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 09:46 AM)
i am not for that at all.  dye has 1 game experience at first and frankly without paulie we would be short another power guy that can put some fear into an opposing pitcher. even though paulie is the slowest guy in the american league, we still need him not only as a player but as a leader also.

i guess david ortiz doesn't play in the american league

While we are at it, which 2006 hitting lineup do you prefer?

Lineup 1:

Pods LF

Iguchi 2B

Overbay 1B

Konerko DH

Dye RF

Rowand CF

AJ C

Uribe SS

Crede 3B

Lineup 2:

Pods LF

Iguchi 2B

Dye 1B

Manny Ramirez DH/RF

Rowand CF

AJ C

Uribe SS

Crede 3B

Anderson RF

Either is fine with me!

QUOTE(S720 @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 12:27 PM)
While we are at it, which 2006 hitting lineup do you prefer?

Lineup 1: 

Pods LF

Iguchi 2B

Overbay 1B

Konerko DH

Dye RF

Rowand CF

AJ C

Uribe SS

Crede 3B

Lineup 2:

Pods LF

Iguchi 2B

Dye 1B

Manny Ramirez DH/RF

Rowand CF

AJ C

Uribe SS

Crede 3B

Anderson RF

Either is fine with me!

Give me lineup number 1.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 12:30 PM)
molina runs cirlces around Paulie.. Paulie only man in baseball history to strech a triple into a single.

Not even close, Molina is the slowest guy I've ever seen in my life.