Jermaine Dye to 1B

DBAHO

From the Southtown;

Ken Williams is fond of talking about "Plan A, B and C" when discussing future ideas concerning the White Sox.

Meet "Plans D and E."

While the Sox general manager isn't ready to discuss the 2006 season — what with his team still trying to make history in 2005 — the Sox have already made several moves to protect themselves for next year.

That could mean Orlando Hernandez goes from part-time reliever to full-time reliever next season, and outfielder Jermaine Dye takes over at first base if Paul Konerko leaves via free agency during the offseason.

If Konerko does not return, replacing him would likely be an in-house move.

Ross Gload is one player the Sox could plug in at first base. However, the left-handed hitter doesn't have much power for what's considered a power-hitting position.

Dye, who made a start at first base on July 6, would bring power to the position — he hit 31 homers during the 2005 season — and according to manager Ozzie Guillen is "a good enough athlete to play almost anywhere."

Moving Dye to first would free up a spot in right field for highly touted prospect Brian Anderson.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i am not for that at all. dye has 1 game experience at first and frankly without paulie we would be short another power guy that can put some fear into an opposing pitcher. even though paulie is the slowest guy in the american league, we still need him not only as a player but as a leader also.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan13 @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 12:52 AM)
We need Paulie.

Funny how at the ASB, 2/3rd's of the Soxtalk Population would have definitely disagreed with that statement.

And that's because of the BA/RISP stat. The end all to be all with him, it seemed.

I still don't mind letting Paulie walk if he receives a ridiculous contract offer from some other team. And I won't have a problem with Dye/Gload-Anderson as long as we can improve the DH spot by signing a good hitter to replace Everett.

I'd like us to make a push for Brian Giles because he'll likely get a smaller contract than Konerko (both in terms of length and money).

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 12:59 AM)
I still don't mind letting Paulie walk if he receives a ridiculous contract offer from some other team. And I won't have a problem with Dye/Gload-Anderson as long as we can improve the DH spot by signing a good hitter to replace Everett.

I'd like us to make a push for Brian Giles because he'll likely get a smaller contract than Konerko (both in terms of length and money).

Giles is likely to get at least 4 years @30M this off-season. For a 34 year old hitter, I doubt the Sox will make a serious run at him. Probably head back to San Diego, or maybe go to Atlanta to join his brother.

I've been a little concerned lately that there doesn't seem to be a lot to suggest that PK is coming back to the Sox next year. If he does leave, I would still rather keep Dye in RF, and try to upgrade at DH and 1B. Oh well, we have plenty of time to worry about these issues.

From the Southtown;

i am not for that at all. dye has 1 game experience at first and frankly without paulie we would be short another power guy that can put some fear into an opposing pitcher. even though paulie is the slowest guy in the american league, we still need him not only as a player but as a leader also.

We need Paulie.

Funny how at the ASB, 2/3rd's of the Soxtalk Population would have definitely disagreed with that statement.

And that's because of the BA/RISP stat. The end all to be all with him, it seemed.

Dye used to be a firstbaseman before he was moved to the outfield in the Braves Organization so he does know how to play the position.

Giles is likely to get at least 4 years @30M this off-season. For a 34 year old hitter, I doubt the Sox will make a serious run at him. Probably head back to San Diego, or maybe go to Atlanta to join his brother.

Dye also used to be a pitcher.

Maybe we can use him against lefties as opposed to Marte, it'd be hard for Dye to be any worse than Damaso.

I've been a little concerned lately that there doesn't seem to be a lot to suggest that PK is coming back to the Sox next year. If he does leave, I would still rather keep Dye in RF, and try to upgrade at DH and 1B. Oh well, we have plenty of time to worry about these issues.

As long as we win the title this season, they can do what they want next year. They get a bye in my book. But if we do not win........

I don't know why in the world we would move Dye to 1B :chair

QUOTE(rangercal @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 10:46 AM)
While we are moving people around to positions they once played  we can.....

Play Carl at CF

Paulie at 3rd

Jermaine at 1st

can Ozzie play SS still?

That comparison doesn't work at all. The move to 1B is one of the easiest around, when players get older and it becomes more of a hassle to move around in the outfield they can find new wind at a spot like 1B where there isn't as much movement.

You use Carl moving to CF as a joke, Carl can't play out there anymore considering how much speed he's lost however Dye could go to first pretty easily.

Konerko is the same, slow as f***.

Dye to first isn't all that far fetched, OF to 1B isn't that tough of a move especially if you have some previous experience at the position. Erstad moved from the OF to 1B and ended up winning a GG last season.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 10:50 AM)
That comparison doesn't work at all. The move to 1B is one of the easiest around, when players get older and it becomes more of a hassle to move around in the outfield they can find new wind at a spot like 1B where there isn't as much movement.

1b is the most important defensive position on the field. I dont want someone who doesnt know what they are doing playing there.. but hey, thats just me.

We need Paulie back next year.. if he goes, our offense goes.

No one is saying they don't want PK back. However, he's put himself in a position where he will be the most coveted FA on the market. We all want him on the White Sox next year, but that might not be feasible. Personally, I'm just thrilled that at least the reason his salary will likely be so high is because he's had two very good seasons, and is finishing off extremely strong. It's a lot better than the way the Marlins are going to lose Burnett, even though he sucked down the stretch.

All this Dye-to-1B talk is just the Sox plotting out their options if Paulie gets an unmatchable offer elsewhere and they can't find a suitable replacement.

I think we're all certain that KW would TRY to find a good 1B replacement before sticking an outfielder there, but you have to look t anything and everything.

Any hand-wringing about this now is premature, IMO.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 11:35 AM)
No one is saying they don't want PK back.  However, he's put himself in a position where he will be the most coveted FA on the market.  We all want him on the White Sox next year, but that might not be feasible.  Personally, I'm just thrilled that at least the reason his salary will likely be so high is because he's had two very good seasons, and is finishing off extremely strong.  It's a lot better than the way the Marlins are going to lose Burnett, even though he sucked down the stretch.

Yeah, 83 HRS, 220 RBI (playoffs also) is solid