Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 12:56 PM)
Jason, i don't understand you. You live in freaking California, and all you do is talk about how great the state of Iowa is (Even though it sucks). I have no idea why you are wasting your time with that state, this is just ridiculous. It's like someone talking about their sweet tricycle when they have a Lexus in the garage.

Ya, but that tricycle is where your memories are. ;)

I'm not saying Iowa is exciting, but they don't have sports teams I hate like Indy does. Oh and I think it should be mentioned that I like to egg heads on and most of my posts were just that. :D

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 01:00 PM)
And shows up to Soxfest without a beard. I see the kid maybe twice a year, and he has no beard. SnB and i were greatly disappointed.

I'll make up for it. Next year my beard will have a swallow from Mission San Juan Capistrano living in it.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 09:54 PM)
Nobody should be amazed that a player gets into a school for football or basketball.  EVERY SCHOOL IN AMERICA cheats to get players qualified to play sports, end of discussion.

i think calling this cheating is a bit strong. every school is going to admit some kids every year who have test scores lower than what the average is. some of those kids are athletes, some aren't. it's the school's prerogative to make the choice. i don't see it as breaking the rules, because admissions policies are pretty flexible as is.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 01:58 PM)
i think calling this cheating is a bit strong. every school is going to admit some kids every year who have test scores lower than what the average is. some of those kids are athletes, some aren't. it's the school's prerogative to make the choice. i don't see it as breaking the rules, because admissions policies are pretty flexible as is.

And most of the time I'm sure the students are glad they admitted those people because they can cheer on there school athletic teams. Fact of the matter is those student/athletes bring a lot of cash to the school and help the school in a lot of ways.

Plus the vast majority of student athletes are in school for the education because they will never play a game as a pro (at any type of pro level).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 04:46 PM)
True thats not there standards, but thats a pretty damn impressive GPA none-the-less.  I bet ND/Stanford and those type of programs all combined have more bright students with high GPA's than most of the big 10 and other major conference schools combined.

No knock, but its something that I think should be respected.

Maybe not the Big Ten since they have NU, and Illinois, Michigan, and Purdue have some high standards (although it varies based on the program). It definitely seems to be higher than pretty much anyone else though. It's also hard to say when I'm trying to figure it out based on info from one player. I know Emeka Okafor, Josh Boone and Charlie Villanueva all had pretty impressive grades and test scores, that doesn't mean that UConn is an academic power-house.

I'm also not so sure that Notre Dame doesn't let things slide. I know there were rumors going around that they wouldn't take Gerald Riggs Jr. and Jarrett Payton back when they were stud recruits, but one of my friends did a report on college athletics, and IIRC the average SAT on ND's football team was about 950. The average level for the school isn't really a good guidline because besides the fact that they probably let top-notch athletes get away with lower than average grades, most of them are also going to apply to LAS or Gen Ed (or whatever equivalent they have), which generally have much lower admission requirements than some of the top-notch programs like business or engineering. I had pretty good grades and test scores, but I wouldn't have had a chance at getting into business or engineering at Illinois, whereas I did get in for communications.

I can attest to some schools at how much easier it is for the athletes to pass. I swear they get like every note directly from the teacher and because of that they tend not to show up.

Only reason I know this is one of my good buddies played D1 basketball in California (not at a powerhouse school by any means, but they made the tourney one year) and him (as one of the last guys off the bench) got a hell of a lot of benefits in terms of his studies (even though he was brilliant enough to pretty much fail out, yet they still made exceptions).

And players get money. If it happened at this school my guess is it happens everywhere, but they go to different events and stuff finds its way into there sports jacket pockets and other stuff. Not huge amounts but 20 or 50 here and there from a few people every couple weeks is about all the spending money you need (if you are lucky enough to be on a full ride).

That said that isn't always the case and for those athletes that also concentrate and bust there ass in school, I commend them because sports take up an assload of there time.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 10:02 PM)
Maybe not the Big Ten since they have NU, and Illinois, Michigan, and Purdue have some high standards (although it varies based on the program). It definitely seems to be higher than pretty much anyone else though. It's also hard to say when I'm trying to figure it out based on info from one player. I know Emeka Okafor, Josh Boone and Charlie Villanueva all had pretty impressive grades and test scores, that doesn't mean that UConn is an academic power-house.

I'm also not so sure that Notre Dame doesn't let things slide. I know there were rumors going around that they wouldn't take Gerald Riggs Jr. and Jarrett Payton back when they were stud recruits, but one of my friends did a report on college athletics, and IIRC the average SAT on ND's football team was about 950. The average level for the school isn't really a good guidline because besides the fact that they probably let top-notch athletes get away with lower than average grades, most of them are also going to apply to LAS or Gen Ed (or whatever equivalent they have), which generally have much lower admission requirements than some of the top-notch programs like business or engineering. I had pretty good grades and test scores, but I wouldn't have had a chance at getting into business or engineering at Illinois, whereas I did get in for communications.

i think notre dame has gone back and forth through the years. under faust they were tight, under holtz they were loose, under willingham they were tight and under weis they've loosened.

i know osu is that way now. there has been a big initiative there from the president on down to limit the amount of at-risk kids being accepted by sports teams. right now osu has about 50 at-risk kids in their entire athletic program, and the new ad has said he would like to bring that down to 35 or 40. that's pretty much come from the top-down and has been directly reflected in their recruiting. this is why guys like jeff cumberland were available for illinois to recruit.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)
Hey, I speak the truth.... It was the finest college basketball game that Ive ever witnessed.  Illinois should have the trophy right now if they didnt die by the 3 so badly in the title game.  Besides May, Illinois had the talent and should have won that game.  Ive never been so jacked in March in my life, and that even after a first round loss to Bucknell.  Just because Bill Self is the Kansas head coach, and Illini faithful love to hate them, doesnt mean I have to hate Illinois.  I am actually very fond of their program and future.  This March may be a little shaky for them, but I really appreciate the way theyve re-built their program into a potenital perrinal powerhouse.  Theyve come a long way from their 'bruising ball' with Lucas Johnson.  Things have worked out fairly well for the Illini faithful considering nothing can be taken for grnated in college hoops over this past decade.  Self made the table, Weber has done a fine job in serving the meal thus far.

Yeah, i was in STL for that one, and we did die by that three. I know we had the talent...but UNC had more. We had the better team, but talent beat us that night, if that makes sense. That's another reason the loss was frustrating.

You would be suprised at all the benefits student athletes get. I have a friend who works at a Big Ten University and the players get to live in great housing, everything they eat or touch is paid for and they basically get an allowance. When it comes down to it, they need no money from boosters unless they plan on investing it for when they're out of school and they're not Pro material.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 02:03 PM)
I do give Duke credit for one thing.  I can't ever remember them having any sort of NCAA violations.  At least under Coach K. 

Its also why I always had a lot of respect for Stanford's programs.  They can't just bring in any talented guy they want, they have to also have high acedemic marks (same with my favorite football team...ND).

Duke is as dirty as any program. Maggette received money from a booster. Chris Duhon's mother was given a $150,000.00 job coincidentally by Duke. Boozer was also given some cash IIRC.

Getting caught or not is basically based on how many friends you have around the coaching ranks and in other programs. If you have enemies or you offset an assistant coach in Jimmy Collins' case, you get "snitched" on or caught. That's plain and simple.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 08:28 PM)
That's cute.

If Stevenson could of won a sectional in yoru tenure, you would of as well. Warren will probably win it again this year, but I'm too old to rush. Not to mention I'm working.

QUOTE(Brian @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 08:34 PM)
If Stevenson could of won a sectional in yoru tenure, you would of as well. Warren will probably win it again this year, but I'm too old to rush. Not to mention I'm working.

I didn't rush the field when we made it to the state championship in football my sophomore year. ;)