Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 07:01 PM)
We've been out-rebounded 33-22.  With 2 big guys that just shouldn't happen.

On the bright side, IU does have 4 people in double figures this game.  Oh, and a 6 point lead with :42 left.

Yep. Marco has been too sloppy for my liking as of late, but I think he will turn it around. Brown had 22 boards for Michigan tonight...that just cannot happen. This is the type of game I'd expect us to hold a lead of 12-15 the entire game, but we just couldn't pull away. I'm disappointed by that, but pleased the defense played well and we won.

Next 3 games will show us a lot about this team and the Big Ten.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ilsox7 @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 08:06 PM)
Yep.  Marco has been too sloppy for my liking as of late, but I think he will turn it around.  Brown had 22 boards for Michigan tonight...that just cannot happen.  This is the type of game I'd expect us to hold a lead of 12-15 the entire game, but we just couldn't pull away.  I'm disappointed by that, but pleased the defense played well and we won.

Next 3 games will show us a lot about this team and the Big Ten.

Killingsworth hates to perform if we're not on ESPN or CBS for some reason. Look for him to have a big game Saturday against tOSU since we're on CBS.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 07:55 PM)
It's like a library there.

The crowd was non-existant b/c it was all corpses in the crowd tonight. This was the only game students did not receive in the season ticket package, since it was in the heart of break. Though it's during break, students have tickets for Saturday's game, so that'll be better.

--------------------------------

DJ's just looking better and better. Killingsworth really hasn't been that much of a presence on defense thus far, and DJ gives us that. I'm very glad to have him back.

Vaden's been awesome of late. He just snapped a streak that spanned 3 games tonight where he made 12 consecutive three's.

QUOTE(ilsox7 @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 08:02 PM)
Up 6 now with the ball and under 30 secs left.  Robert Vaden was a momster in the 2nd half putting up 17 points in the half thus far. 

First half in this game was awful.  Michigan couldn't make a shot and IU couldn't rebound to save their life.  IU still hasn't rebounded well at all, but Vaden and the offense showed up some in the 2nd half.  Overall, a win is a win (if we hold on), but the level of play needs to go up a notch or two by Saturday.

This game was weird/ugly. I don't understand why the first half was so slow, when both teams like to play the faster tempo of basketball. The second half was more fun to watch.

I agree that they need to tighten a couple things up for Saturday, but I think they'll be ready.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 10:33 PM)
Wow...A lot of people were putting UConn on top of Duke.  UConn goes down big to Marquette 94-79.

Ugly game overall, both teams shot under 40%. Steve Novak was the story for Marquette. He had the game of his life, hitting 6 3's and finishing with 41 points and 16 rebounds. UConn could have been closer with better FT shooting (17-34), but they just had an off night. Rudy Gay was in foul trouble most of the game and finished with 8 points and 7 boards, shooting 3-12. Brown was also off, shooting only 2-11 and finishing with 7 points. Marcus Williams was a little rusty. He played 23 minutes off the bench, finishing with 7 assists but only 4 points on 1-5 shooting.

Give this team about a month and they will be the best team in the country. They need Williams to get back up to speed and get everyone on the team back in sync now that they have a new PG. They might have shot poorly, but their turnovers were down significantly (14, they're usually at or above 20), something that Williams helps with dramatically. They ran into a career night from a decent player and had an off night themselves. They'll recover and be a real force by March.

I love Steve Novak, he's about to take the career FT title away from JJ Redick and is arguably the better shooter. Novak is a perfect 33-33 from the line this year to bring his career average up to 92.8%, while Redick sits at right around 93%, but only 87% on the year. Novak is also a career 47% 3 point shooter, and UNC turned him down for Byron Sanders and Damion Grant :crying

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 01:27 PM)
I love Steve Novak, he's about to take the career FT title away from JJ Redick and is arguably the better shooter. Novak is a perfect 33-33 from the line this year to bring his career average up to 92.8%, while Redick sits at right around 93%, but only 87% on the year. Novak is also a career 47% 3 point shooter, and UNC turned him down for Byron Sanders and Damion Grant  :crying

He's SUCH a one dimensional player.....he doesn't pass, rebound, or play defense, so on nights where the shot doesn't go in (which happen to him more than you'd think) he's worthless. I wouldn't cry over not having him too much.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 02:44 PM)
A one dimensional player that basically beat Uconn by himself.

Yeah, i'd hate to have him on my team too.

I was sitting in the Assembly Hall as freshman Rich McBride hit seven 3 pointers to defeat a top 15 ranked team from Memphis. Is Rich a nice player? Yes, but just because he had a great game doesn't make him some All American.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 03:44 PM)
A one dimensional player that basically beat Uconn by himself.

Yeah, i'd hate to have him on my team too.

On the nights he's off...

But yeah, good win for the Gold.

DePaul @ Cinci tonight, so here's hoping for the best...

I will say this about Marquette. The 2 freshman guards, Dominic James and Jerel McNeal, are both ballers. It's a shame it came down to either/or with Jamar Smith and Jerel McNeal for the Illini, by all accounts McNeal grew up a big Illini fan and wanted to play in Champaign. I just hope he doesn't turn out like another South Suburban product the Illini didn't go after who ended up playing at Marquette for 3 years, leading them to a final four, and is now playing for the Miami Heat...

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 03:18 PM)
Novak will never be a superstar, but he's a great shooting SF who will give you around 15 ppg. I will admit, his passing skills and defense are laughable.

Exactly, and I'm not dissing the kid. A 6'10 forward who can sometimes shoot the lights out is very valuable, but that is about the extent of Novak's skills.

Michigan St @ Illinois tonight at 8pm on ESPN2. I believe Nova/Louisville precedes that game at 6.

I'm driving down later today for the game. It won't be as big of a homecourt advantage because not many students will be there, but the place should still be rocking.

One game does not a season make, but we'll see where the Illini are at this point in the season tomorrow.

I'm not going to be shocked at all if we lose, though i'd like to 'hold serve' at home. We're undefeated due to a light schedule, we all know that, but this team is still pretty good IMO win or lose this game. #6 vs #7 in the nation, should be a tight one.

Can we control Davis inside? Or get him in foul trouble? I think that will go a long way in deciding it.

going to be a tough, tough game. i'd give illinois a slight edge primarily due to home-court advantage. but msu was my pick to win the league this year and i think they are formidable.

will be interested to see the "illinois is overrated" crowd re-emerge from it's slumber if they lose, though.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 02:05 AM)
Michigan St @ Illinois tonight at 8pm on ESPN2. I believe Nova/Louisville precedes that game at 6.

I'm driving down later today for the game. It won't be as big of a homecourt advantage because not many students will be there, but the place should still be rocking.

One game does not a season make, but we'll see where the Illini are at this point in the season tomorrow.

I'm not going to be shocked at all if we lose, though i'd like to 'hold serve' at home.  We're undefeated due to a light schedule, we all know that, but this team is still pretty good IMO win or lose this game. #6 vs #7 in the nation, should be a tight one.

Can we control Davis inside? Or get him in foul trouble? I think that will go a long way in deciding it.

illini_cheerleader_11sep04.jpg

Edited by Random

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 01:59 PM)
going to be a tough, tough game. i'd give illinois a slight edge primarily due to home-court advantage. but msu was my pick to win the league this year and i think they are formidable.

will be interested to see the "illinois is overrated" crowd re-emerge from it's slumber if they lose, though.

I haven't gone anywhere. :P

A lot of teams are overrated right now, and I happen to think Illinois is one of them. They're really only consistently getting contributions from Brown and Augustine, which probably won't be enough in conference play. Someone else is going to have to step up, like maybe Smith playing a bigger role or McBride or Randle stepping up.

Michigan State has a few very good players, but they aren't all that deep. They've got enough talent to beat a lot of teams, including the Illini. However, if one of the big 3 for MSU has an off-night, they can be beat, and Illinois can be tough if they're hitting their outside shots. It should be an interesting game.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 08:31 PM)
I haven't gone anywhere.  :P

A lot of teams are overrated right now, and I happen to think Illinois is one of them. They're really only consistently getting contributions from Brown and Augustine, which probably won't be enough in conference play. Someone else is going to have to step up, like maybe Smith playing a bigger role or McBride or Randle stepping up.

Michigan State has a few very good players, but they aren't all that deep. They've got enough talent to beat a lot of teams, including the Illini. However, if one of the big 3 for MSU has an off-night, they can be beat, and Illinois can be tough if they're hitting their outside shots. It should be an interesting game.

actually i was more referring to where i live than anything. needless to say i get my fair share of "buckeye" out here.

anyhow, i tend to agree that illinois isn't the sixth-best team in the nation at this point, but i like what i've seen so far.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 01:05 AM)

I'm not going to be shocked at all if we lose, though i'd like to 'hold serve' at home.  We're undefeated due to a light schedule, we all know that, but this team is still pretty good IMO win or lose this game. #6 vs #7 in the nation, should be a tight one.

wave to me as you fall off the bleachers :P

Anyway this is obviously a huge game tonight, I can see it going both ways. Augie needs to play good defense and stay out of foul trouble against davis and we just need to contain their guards, not letting them take over the game.

It's awful that this game is during break and it's not going to be as loud in there.

Good luck, bring us home a W.