Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 02:42 PM)
It looks like during half time the refs decided to drink more crazy juice. I hate to complain when it helps Wisconsin, but at some point you just have to say that the game is no longer fun because the refs have so severely screwed it up.

This seems to be happening in almost every Big 10 game this year. It is pathetic

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 07:16 PM)
Wow, pathetic ending by ND.  They had all the opportunities in the world to win this.

I love how people say about teams like ND "oh, a heartbreaking year, so many close losses". Well losing tons of close games isn't bad luck, it's bad coaching of a team with the talent.

Big Ten Standings at the conclusion of January 28 games:

Big Ten Basketball Standings

TEAM CON GB OVR

Illinois #7 5-2 - 19-2

Michigan 5-2 - 15-3

Iowa 5-2 - 16-5

Wisconsin #21 5-2 - 15-5

Indiana #11 4-2 ½ 12-4

Ohio State #16 4-3 1 14-3

MSU #12 4-3 1 16-5

Northwestern 3-4 2 10-8

Penn State 2-5 3 10-8

Purdue 1-7 4½ 7-12

Minnesota 0-6 4½ 9-8

IU has a chance to even up with the 5-2's with a match-up in Minnesota at 1 tomorrow. Why am I so nervous about a game against an 0-6 team?

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 09:23 PM)
Big Ten Standings at the conclusion of January 28 games:

Big Ten Basketball Standings

TEAM          CON GB OVR

Illinois #7 5-2 - 19-2

Michigan 5-2 - 15-3

Iowa    5-2 - 16-5

Wisconsin #21 5-2 - 15-5

Indiana #11 4-2 ½ 12-4

Ohio State #16 4-3 1 14-3

MSU #12        4-3 1 16-5

Northwestern 3-4 2 10-8

Penn State 2-5 3 10-8

Purdue  1-7 4½ 7-12

Minnesota 0-6 4½ 9-8

IU has a chance to even up with the 5-2's with a match-up in Minnesota at 1 tomorrow.  Why am I so nervous about a game against an 0-6 team?

The same reason I was nervous for the home games this week against Minny and Purdue. The Big Ten is so tough, so a game against a seemingly "easy" opponent can always lead to a flat performance. Also, didn't Purdue give you a decent game in Bloomington a week or two ago?

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 10:28 PM)
The same reason I was nervous for the home games this week against Minny and Purdue.  The Big Ten is so tough, so a game against a seemingly "easy" opponent can always lead to a flat performance.  Also, didn't Purdue give you a decent game in Bloomington a week or two ago?

Yeah, but I always expect that with Purdue. That's our rival, and you can throw out the records in that game. I just wish I didn't have that feeling that Minnesota is due, so they'll surely do against us. We should win, being the more talented group, but home court seems to ≈15 points this year in the Big Ten.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 11:05 PM)
Final score

#5 Texas: 72

#22 Oklahoma: 82

I still think OU isn't very good, but a very nice home win for them.  Also, I keep hearing how good Texas is.....but I just don't see it (although they are going to win the Big 12, whatever that is worth).

Oklahoma came up with their best game in a while. They actually shot well, something they haven't done much this year. While talented, Everett (38% overall, 28.3% behind the arc) and Neal (34.1% overall) have been awful with their shooting accuracy. Everett had 25 on 10-15 shooting and Neal had 14 on 5-9 shooting, combining for 6-11 from downtown. Goldbond also was pretty good, with 11 on 4-8 shooting. That doesn't sound that great, but he's averaging about 5 points on 35% shooting. For whatever reason they were just hitting them tonight. Gray also was very good, but that is somewhat expected.

Texas is a pretty good team, but not quite an elite one (that's pretty much everyone's story this year). They've been playing good defense and putting people away, but they'll always be vulnerable to a team that shoots well because they aren't an elite outside shooting team themselves (Gibson is, Paulino is solid but probably doesn't shoot enough, and Buckman apparently thinks he can shoot). All you have to do is look at what they did against Duke, Tennessee, and now Oklahoma for some evidence. They also have no bench whatsoever, so if one of their main guys is off or hurt they could have problems. It'd be huge for them if Abrams could develop into a more reliable option so they can actually rest some people.

However, because of their talent level and size they have the ability to beat any team on a given night.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 29, 2006 -> 03:23 AM)
IU has a chance to even up with the 5-2's with a match-up in Minnesota at 1 tomorrow.  Why am I so nervous about a game against an 0-6 team?

Because IU has really struggled to win at Minnesota in recent history.

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Jan 29, 2006 -> 01:36 AM)
BS win by Iowa.....if any iowa fan can say that they didnt get the calls its bulls***.  I am so sick of Big Ten officiating.  OSU got f***ED!!!  OSU should only have one loss and that is to MSU.

Yeah, that 17 to 16 free throw attempt edge Iowa had was clearly the ONLY reason they won.

:rolly

Quit your whining. Every team in the league has lost a game because the homer refs suck, and this doesn't look like a screw job to me.