Rowand mentioned with Yankees

DBAHO

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 23, 2005 -> 12:03 PM)
Aside from Marte and Viz, I really can't think of anybody on this team I would be O.K. with losing. The only guy who doesn't seem to be living it up, and actually "buddying up" with the team is Dye, but I think that is just his personality. I, personally, want to see this team together for atleast 1 more year.

You wouldn't add Timo to that list of folks you'd be okay with losing?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No way we give up Rowand in a deal like this. Only was he's gone along with starting pitching is for a guy like Miguel Cabrera and I don't see that happening.

Also, I don't see us giving up any of our pitching. Right now, Contreras is a bargain for next year. El Duque will be our long reliever/spot starter. I don't see him being dealt as he's very important for Contreras.

I think PK will be resigned unless his pricetag is too high.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Oct 23, 2005 -> 12:06 PM)
No way we give up Rowand in a deal like this. Only was he's gone along with starting pitching is for a guy like Miguel Cabrera and I don't see that happening.

Also, I don't see us giving up any of our pitching. Right now, Contreras is a bargain for next year. El Duque will be our long reliever/spot starter. I don't see him being dealt as he's very important for Contreras.

I think PK will be resigned unless his pricetag is too high.

I'm one of those folks who unfortunately believe that one of two things will happen if PK leaves town:

1. Dye moves over to 1B and Brian Anderson starts in RF.

2. Ross (ugh) Gload

After all that's gone down with the pitching this season, no way in hell Kenny deals one of them.

I don't really want him, but those comments your just spewed about him being a cancer were said about AJ and Everett.

Matt Herges later admitted that Pierzynski didn't do anything wrong and apologized to AJ. Herges said it was just Brett Tomko being mad because he got rocked that day and blaming it on Pierzynski.

Everett is just a straight-up kook. :lol:

Everyone knows that Sheffield is a bad seed. He can rake though.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Oct 23, 2005 -> 12:26 PM)
Matt Herges later admitted that Pierzynski didn't do anything wrong and apologized to AJ.  Herges said it was just Brett Tomko being mad because he got rocked that day and blaming it on Pierzynski.

Everett is just a straight-up kook.  :lol:

Everyone knows that Sheffield is a bad seed.  He can rake though.

Yeah, my comment was a little off, Sheff is a total douche.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 23, 2005 -> 10:58 AM)

No one is talking about breaking up the team. In fact, looking at it realistically, you can probably safely say that seven of the nine positions are already filled (Pierzynski, Iguchi, Uribe, Crede, Podsednik, Rowand/Anderson, Dye -- at 1B or RF).

But, they need to get better offensively. Our rotation is set (Buehrle/Garland/Contreras/Garcia/B-Mac), much of our bullpen is set (Hermy/Cotts/Jenks/Politte, with Marte probably being traded), so they have to use the money that's going to come in and get some strong offensive players in here; and Sheffield is a strong offensive player.

I really doubt KW would trade for Sheffield.

We don't need Sheffield. I think Gary Sheffield is a darn good player and swings a powerful bat, but the question is where does he play in the Sox lineup WITHOUT breaking up the team? We need to concentrate on keeping who we have and that included Konerko. Frank Thomas will add the punch we need and he is and always has been a part of the Sox makeup. Here we talk about trading the likes of Rowand and Cotts and letting Konerko go and adding a player in the fading and waning days of his career. Sheffield is injury prone and not seen as ateam player. Plus he demands a hefty salary. Let's appreciate who we have on the Sox team. I can still remember the calls to trade Contreras, Crede, McCarthy and even Konerko earlier this year.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Oct 23, 2005 -> 03:19 PM)
yeah, those extra 17 games in september really show why he was no where near his 2004 prodection in april/may/june/july...

So you think Rowand is gone or should be traded? My larger point is that 2005 should be his floor production wise. 2004 could be his ceiling. Those kind of guys who can play great defense don't grow on trees. Rowand isn;t going anywhere

QUOTE(beck72 @ Oct 23, 2005 -> 07:01 PM)
So you think Rowand is gone or should be traded? My larger point is that 2005 should be his floor production wise. 2004 could be his ceiling. Those kind of guys who can play great defense don't grow on trees. Rowand isn;t going anywhere

I think Anderson is better defensively than Rowand. That doesn't make him somewhat expendable to get a more powerful bat for us for the 3 hole?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 23, 2005 -> 11:11 AM)
I might be tempted into doing Rowand/Marte for Sheffield...  He was right around where Konerko was offensively this year, more OBP, less SLG (actually -- Sheff had four more OBP percentage points, I thought the margin was a lot bigger).

Sheffield is what, 38 years old? His production won't stay up for long..

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 23, 2005 -> 02:56 PM)
Yea, but I said that in the first post I made in the thread, so I didnt want to say it again ;)

yeah but i had to say it again. I hate the guy. I went up to Milwaukee to see the Braves play and a lot of fans were hanging out at the braves hotel after the game. Ray King signed for us. However when Sheffield walked in he signed for everybody but me. I was the last guy and I asked him if he could please sign for me. He said "I don't have time for this bulls***." What an Asswipe.

Rowand isn't going anywhere for now. The three stooges I am sure are all here to stay for a while. As far as Anderson, he will probably replace Timo next season which I have no problem with. Theres nothing but good things to be said about Anderson and by the small sample we got from him he is great defensively and has potential offensively.

As far as Sweeney, Young, and Owens and the other few highly rated OF prospects in our system, I don't know. It has been mentioned that Owens and Young could be candidates to replace Pods and maybe even JD in the long run.

Do you guys see any of our OF prospects learning other positions, perhaps 2nd base?? The only knowledge I have of our minor league system is from what I read so correct me if I am off.

2006 CWS

Pen: Hernandez (spot starter, long relief), Vizc, Cotts, Politte, Hermy, & Jenks

Rot: Buehrle, Garcia, Contreras, Garland, BMac

IF: Crede, Uribe, Iguchi, Dye

OF: SPods, Rowand, new RFer

C: AJ, Widger

BIF: Harris, Ozuna

The weakness lies at DH & BOF. KW will use the WS to sell the CWS to shore up the BOF. As for DH a LOT rests on Thomas' health. If KW is convinced that Thomas can survive a full season he'll re-sign him. Otherwise he might opt to go with Everett & Gload.

I'm hoping & praying on Thomas' health because a healthy Thomas at DH raises this team up another notch. Making them that much harder to beat.

If Koney does somehow stay with the CWS then I think we are looking at Gload for DH.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Oct 23, 2005 -> 07:31 AM)
I hate that Yankee fan and media attitude that the rest of the Major Leagues are just farm clubs for them, and they can get anybody they want, any time they want.

Totally agree. MLB needs some kind of salary cap that puts teams on an even playing field. I'm so tired of the Yankees. Hope they're enjoying the WS.

The argument that the Yankees would make is that they spend their money, other clubs do not. But the fact that they have more money available and leave smaller market teams with dogs***, AAA talent for their fans to come see has to enter into the equation somewhere. Unfortunately, Pud Selig loves having the big market teams dominate because it's good for tv. Kind of odd, considering that he owned Milwaukee.

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 04:47 AM)
Totally agree.  MLB needs some kind of salary cap that puts teams on an even playing field.  I'm so tired of the Yankees.  Hope they're enjoying the WS.

You realize that the Sox and Astros rank something like 13th and 14th in the majors in payroll, yes?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 23, 2005 -> 09:51 PM)
You realize that the Sox and Astros rank something like 13th and 14th in the majors in payroll, yes?

Sure. My point had more to do with teams like KC knowing that had absolutely no shot of keeping Beltran. Some teams, including the Sox, operate their team with some kind of budget. This is due attendance, tv contracts, etc. No matter what, a team like KC, TB, or Milwaukee will never have the money available to compete with the Yankees on a yearly basis. No matter how well they draft/cultivate talent, they have a window of opportunity to be successful before their players leave for bigger markets.

Just knowing that the Yankees would have no problem spending $250 million to field a winner makes me sick. As a fan, I would love their commitment to winning. I'm just glad they're fantasy roster doesn't quite translate on the field.