My idea for next season's team

bighurt2719

i really wish we could hold on to every single player we had this season. i just looked at the link with all the free agents, and i really dont see anyone standing out. everything was so perfect this year...what if we do it all again with the same team next year?? how sweet would that be?

i say that we keep every single player we can. i know this isnt realistic to ask to keep every single player, but it's just my idea. what you all think?

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 12:32 PM)
See: 2003 Angels

i know what you mean, but look at the angels. i think that if we hadnt won it, anaheim would have. they were the best team we played in the playoffs (and the only one to win a single game against us). they have made the playoffs for years now and have made LA an angel town, not a dodger town like it used to be. they have a great club still, just like they did in '03.

maybe it's just me, but i see years and years of good baseball coming from the southside if we can hold on to all these players.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 05:35 PM)
See the 2005 Red Sox who made changes.

Exactly.

The Red Sox made the changes, contended for their division until the final weekend, until evenutally bowing to the Yankees and taking the Wild Card. Of course, it wasn't meant to be in the playoffs when they ran into a team destined to win it all.

Still beat the pants off of 8 games below .500 and finishing 19 games back.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 12:40 PM)
Exactly.

The Red Sox made the changes, contended for their division until the final weekend, until evenutally bowing to the Yankees and taking the Wild Card. Of course, it wasn't meant to be in the playoffs when they ran into a team destined to win it all.

Still beat the pants off of 8 games below .500 and finishing 19 games back.

are you inferring that the bosox were better than anaheim this year?

QUOTE(bighurt2719 @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 05:37 PM)
i know what you mean, but look at the angels. i think that if we hadnt won it, anaheim would have. they were the best team we played in the playoffs (and the only one to win a single game against us). they have made the playoffs for years now and have made LA an angel town, not a dodger town like it used to be. they have a great club still, just like they did in '03.

maybe it's just me, but i see years and years of good baseball coming from the southside if we can hold on to all these players.

You're exactly right. However, they made their facelift right after the 2003 season and are now one of the top 3 or 4 franchises in baseball. Their 2003 season just delayed their dominance by a year.

Don't get me wrong here though. We shouldn't force anything, especially after looking over this years FA class.

The one addition I would love to see is Matsui from the NYY. If PK leaves, I would want to see Overbay come over in a trade and have Matsui fill the Everett role, but play a little more OF than Carl did.

Even if PK stays, Matsui could fill the DH/OF role incredibly well for the Sox

I think the Sox made changes for changes sake. Renteria for Cabrera. While Pedro and Lowe may have wanted too much money for too many years, a reclamation project (miller), a soft-tossing 41 year old (Wells), and a guy coming off dangerous ankle issues just shouldn't have been expected to succeed at the same level. I am for being proactive to an extent, but we are in better shape than those Angels. We could use another bat, but the rotation and pen can pretty much remain the same and still be elite.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 06:04 PM)
I think the Sox made changes for changes sake. Renteria for Cabrera. While Pedro and Lowe may have wanted too much money for too many years, a reclamation project (miller), a soft-tossing 41 year old (Wells), and a guy coming off dangerous ankle issues just shouldn't have been expected to succeed at the same level. I am for being proactive to an extent, but we are in better shape than those Angels. We could use another bat, but the rotation and pen can pretty much remain the same and still be elite.

I don't think they were expected to perform at the same level. They didn't know how well Schilling would recover, so they had to aim at quantity as much as quality. But with a team that can score like the Red Sox, it doesn't look like such a bad tradeoff for the season. You hope Schilling's healthy by playoff time, then you're looking at a top 2 of Schilling and Clement -- looked like a good plan to me. And Renteria's better than Cabrera; how is that change for change's sake?

I think the big question for us is whether we would be willing to trade a starter for a hitter. B/c if Paulie leaves (which apparently is a given for everyone outside of Chicago), we will desperately need hitting. Even if he stays, we badly need to upgrade there.

I think Kenny will do what I would do. Be proactive but not make a move just to make a move. Our starting pitching is still intact and not falling apart(like those 2003 Angels) and is proven for the most part minus Garland(who hasn't proved that this was a fluke season which I don't think it was).

Don't make a move just to make a move.

Renteria was not better than Cabrera last year. That said, they both stunk. Renteria was a bit better at the dish while Cabrera was much better in the field. They could have kept a guy who helped them win a championship, but they spent 40 million over 4 years for qual or lesser overall production. That was change for changes sake.

Edited by Punch and Judy Garland

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 06:44 PM)
I think Kenny will do what I would do. Be proactive but not make a move just to make a move. Our starting pitching is still intact and not falling apart(like those 2003 Angels) and is proven for the most part minus Garland(who hasn't proved that this was a fluke season which I don't think it was).

Don't make a move just to make a move.

Just re-sign Paulie....overpay if needed and we are set. In this steroids free era, 40 HR/100+ RBI guys are just impossible to find.

Frank will definitely re-sign here. After this WS, he is hungry to win one while hitting in the World Series.

Edited by sox-r-us

The secret is the pitching. For each of the last 3 champions, the pitching has dropped off drastically the next season. For us, it's a matter of keeping our guys healthy. I'm concerned mostly about Hermanson. Hopefully Jenks can be an everyday closer. He didn't have the consistency that Hermanson had going early on in the season. Other than that, the starters and bullpen are in great shape if they can keep going like they did this year.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 12:55 PM)
The secret is the pitching.  For each of the last 3 champions, the pitching has dropped off drastically the next season.  For us, it's a matter of keeping our guys healthy.  I'm concerned mostly about Hermanson.  Hopefully Jenks can be an everyday closer.  He didn't have the consistency that Hermanson had going early on in the season.  Other than that, the starters and bullpen are in great shape if they can keep going like they did this year.

I think there are questions about Jenks' ability to sustain success for a full season. Will Hermy be ready to start the year next year? Legit concerns. As much as I'd love BJ Ryan as a set-up man here as insurance, whoever we trade Marte for could give us a decent option perhaps. If we traded Marte for a guy like Jose valverde or someone of his stature, we'd have enough insurance and another good arm

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 06:48 PM)
Renteria was not better than Cabrera last year. That said, they both stunk. Renteria was  a bit better at the dish while Cabrera was much better in the field. They could have kept a guy who helped them win a championship, but they spent 40 million over 4 years for qual or lesser overall production. That was change for changes sake.

And the Red Sox should have signed Kirk Saarloos and every team should have signed David Dellucci and... It's easy to do this analysis ex-post. I think most people thought last year that $2 mil/per more for Renteria was at least even -- at least for the Red Sox, who had some money to burn. And I still think Renteria will be better next year.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 02:14 PM)
And the Red Sox should have signed Kirk Saarloos and every team should have signed David Dellucci and...  It's easy to do this analysis ex-post.  I think most people thought last year that $2 mil/per more for Renteria was at least even -- at least for the Red Sox, who had some money to burn.  And I still think Renteria will be better next year.

Oh no. I believed this then. This is not arm-chair QB. While I never thought Edgar would be so bad defensively for them, I thought it was odd to replace a guy who was a sparkplug in the clubhouse for a champion with a guy who was more expensive and arguably not any better. Boston rolled the dice because they said they wanted to operate without sentiment so they turfed guys liek Dave Roberts and Orlando Cabrera. And that plan simply did not work.