Samuel Alito for the U.S. Supreme Court.

Texsox

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 10:12 AM)
You know what I don't get?

A Kapkomet original thought here ™:

Why the hell is it that if we were to find an amoeba or *ANY* single cell on the planet of Mars, the next day the headlines would scream, ***LIFE ON MARS*** but an abortion isn't killing life?

/Carry on.

Serving only to muddy the waters, bear in mind that as much as 50% of normal pregnancies terminate in spontaneous abortion very early on and usually without the mother even knowing she was pregnant. For all the 'God's Will' folks, does this mean God is the perpetrator of more abortions than the combined totals of all the world's abortion clinics ever?

The truth is these are really huge and tough ethical questions above and beyond the legal issues. I don't have any numbers handy, but I'm sure most of the women who get abortions are absolutely torn up over it. The image the pro-life camps paint that everybody getting abortions does so simply out of convenience and thinks nothing of the moral and emotional consequences is more of the fanciful black/white nonreality they have created for themselves.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 03:37 PM)
Serving only to muddy the waters, bear in mind that as much as 50% of normal pregnancies terminate in spontaneous abortion very early on and usually without the mother even knowing she was pregnant.  For all the 'God's Will' folks, does this mean God is the perpetrator of more abortions than the combined totals of all the world's abortion clinics ever?

The truth is these are really huge and tough ethical questions above and beyond the legal issues.  I don't have any numbers handy, but I'm sure most of the women who get abortions are absolutely torn up over it.  The image the pro-life camps paint that everybody getting abortions does so simply out of convenience and thinks nothing of the moral and emotional consequences is more of the fanciful black/white nonreality they have created for themselves.

I know, Flaxx, I was just proud of myself for coming up with something so profound. :D

It's a lot more tangled then that.

Wow, we turned this into an abortion thread, I wonder why our political leaders have this problem?

I will say this, I respect people who have a consistent ethic here. Anti abortion *and* anti death penalty. Shouldn't aborting a 60 day old fetus carry the same moral and ethical questions and answers as aborting a 30 year old man?

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 09:40 AM)
I know, Flaxx, I was just proud of myself for coming up with something so profound.  :D

It's a lot more tangled then that.

It was good, and destined to be on a pro-life flier somewhere. Both sides, have the most crap filled, illogical, b.s., materials to further their cause. The extremist in this battle scare the crap out of me.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 03:44 PM)
It was good, and destined to be on a pro-life flier somewhere. Both sides, have the most crap filled, illogical, b.s., materials to further their cause. The extremist in this battle scare the crap out of me.

Hey, wait a minute, BUCKO! That thought was ALL MINE. :lol:

I'm also interested in how many civil liberties the government can take way in the name of terrorism.

I'm interested in what controls the government should and will take over bio-technology.

So many issues, but thankfully the writers of the constitution thought of all of them.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 11:10 AM)
I'm also interested in how many civil liberties the government can take way in the name of terrorism.

I'm interested in what controls the government should and will take over bio-technology.

So many issues, but thankfully the writers of the constitution thought of all of them.

They also wrote an ingeniuos secret plan for dealing with the eventuality of when our robot servants finally rebel and become our evil overlords.

The Founding Fathers are tehRox0rz! :headbang :headbang :headbang

Now that we have finally reached our usual level of discussions

November 2, 2005

The Top 5 Signs a Supreme Court

Justice Nominee Isn't Qualified

5> Is more interested in Freddy v. Jason than Roe v. Wade.

4> His license plate says "BABYKLR."

3> Paper trail proving he voted for the Fat Elvis stamp.

2> Most frequently cited case? People v. Yo' Mama.

and Topfive.com's Number 1 Sign a

Supreme Court Justice Nominee Isn't Qualified...

1> Cannot state the salient points of Ass v. Hole in the Ground.

Join ClubTop5 to see the whole 15-item list and the

Runner Up/Honorable Mention submissions for today's list:

"No v. Way"    and    "Habeas Crapus"

http://www.topfive.com/html/clubtop5.shtml

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 09:42 AM)
Wow, we turned this into an abortion thread, I wonder why our political leaders have this problem?

I will say this, I respect people who have a consistent ethic here. Anti abortion *and* anti death penalty. Shouldn't aborting a 60 day old fetus carry the same moral and ethical questions and answers as aborting a 30 year old man?

Which brings up another point, or counterpoint, I guess. People who are found at a pro-choice rally are likely to be found the next week protesting against disturbing the home of a snail darter, or some such s***. That consistant ethics s*** goes both ways.

QUOTE(HineyBird @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 01:46 PM)
this guy is a rat he was a prosecutor that prosecuted the mob in philly. he is another bushwacker that will only further ruin the country

Ohh.. he's only about 138th in line..

QUOTE(HineyBird @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 07:46 PM)
this guy is a rat he was a prosecutor that prosecuted the mob in philly. he is another bushwacker that will only further ruin the country

Anyone, or anything, Bush does is wrong. So it doesn't matter.

The whole damn world is falling apart, and I blame it on GWB. The hell with personal accountability.

QUOTE(HineyBird @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)

I don't know the Philly deal, but he was the lead prosecuter in a Jersey mob case that got botched and the guys walked.

And from the sound of your post, Hiney, you think he was in the wrong to prosecute mob guys? :huh

Lay off the Good Fellas, Bro.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
Anyone, or anything, Bush does is wrong.  So it doesn't matter.

The whole damn world is falling apart, and I blame it on GWB.  The hell with personal accountability.

does this mean I won't get banned anyone for calling people homos?

k, thanks :lol:

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
Anyone, or anything, Bush does is wrong.  So it doesn't matter.

The whole damn world is falling apart, and I blame it on GWB.  The hell with personal accountability.

YOU EVIL RACIST, SEXIST, HOMOPHOBIC, INTOLERANT MYSOGINIST, JINGOISTIC PIG YOU!!!!!!!

HOW DARE YOU EXPECT PEOPLE TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR OWN ACTIONS!!!

Interesting article from the Trib yesterday... Who exactly is looking for a fight here??

WASHINGTON -- Despite the heated response by a group of liberal Democrats to Judge Samuel Alito's Supreme Court nomination, opponents would face long odds in killing his chances to join the court with a filibuster.

Interviews with moderate Republican and Democratic senators Tuesday indicated that most do not expect to find anything so alarming in his record or background to merit such a drastic parliamentary tactic. At worst, many said they would like to wait and see how Alito fares during the Senate Judiciary Committee hearings on his nomination.

President Bush's choice of Alito on Monday was greeted with dismay by several senior Democrats with sway over Senate opinion--Minority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada, Edward Kennedy of Massachusetts, Patrick Leahy of Vermont and Charles Schumer of New York. Leahy called the nomination "needlessly provocative" and Schumer warned it would divide the country.

But so far, their warnings have not sparked a bandwagon effect in opposition to Alito.

Interest groups chided

"There's not going to be a filibuster," Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) said, urging colleagues to wait for the vetting process and the hearings to take place.

Feinstein, a Judiciary Committee member, chastised special-interest groups on both sides of the ideological divide for engaging in "intense hype" with television commercials and heated rhetoric over the nomination.

"On both sides, there is a desire to go to war," Feinstein complained. "Something inside me really rebels against that."

Earlier this year, the Senate narrowly avoided a showdown over the use of judicial filibusters against 10 federal appellate court nominees when 14 senators, half Democrats and half Republicans, struck a deal requiring "extraordinary circumstances" before any of them would agree to support a filibuster. They did not define extraordinary circumstances, leaving that up to each of the 14.

Under Senate rules, 60 senators must vote to cut off debate and stop a filibuster. That means opponents of Alito would need 41 senators to kill his nomination. Currently, there are 55 Republicans, 44 Democrats and one independent.

A wait-and-see attitude

The so-called Gang of 14 senators plans to meet Thursday to discuss the Alito nomination. Opposition to a filibuster by the group would scuttle any chance of blocking the nomination through that means.

Already, Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine), a member of the group, dismissed the need for a filibuster, despite her concerns about Alito's rulings on abortion-related cases.

"I do not yet see a basis for invoking extraordinary circumstances," said Collins, who favors abortion rights.

Sen. Ben Nelson (D-Neb.), another member of the group, said he hopes the confirmation process will move forward without any need for the 14 senators' intervention.

"I haven't had enough information to be concerned or not concerned," Nelson said. "We're borrowing issues and problems that we don't know we're going to deal with."

Sen. Mark Pryor (D-Ark.) said he plans to wait and allow Alito to go through the nomination process before deciding what he thinks of him.

"I start with the presumption that there are no extraordinary circumstances," said Pryor, another Gang of 14 member.

Numerous Republicans, on the other hand, including members of the Gang of 14, were far more enthusiastic about the nominee.

"I'm strongly supportive of this nominee from what I know," said Sen. John Warner (R-Va.), considered the architect of the deal that rescued the Senate from a meltdown over judicial filibusters and the Republicans' response, the so-called nuclear option--a GOP move to eliminate Democrats' ability to filibuster judicial nominations.

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), who also helped broker the deal, described himself as "very favorably disposed" to the nomination.

Alito meets with senators

On Tuesday, Alito made the rounds on Capitol Hill, meeting separately with four Republican senators and one Democrat, Tim Johnson (D-S.D.). On Wednesday, he is expected to meet with Leahy, the Judiciary Committee's ranking Democrat, and with Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), a member of the panel and the assistant Democratic leader.

Meanwhile, Judiciary Committee Chairman Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) said he is doing everything he can to avoid giving anyone cause to engage in a filibuster, a nearly unprecedented tactic for Supreme Court nominees. Bush has asked that Alito be confirmed by the end of the year, but Specter said he is not sure that is possible.

"I don't want there to be any grounds for dissatisfaction," Specter said, referring to the timing of the hearings. "I don't want to give cause that hurried hearings justify a filibuster."

Specter said a filibuster would be disastrous for the Senate. "I hope we don't come back to the terrible schism we had," he said. "We're talking about a very, very major confrontation that I hope we avoid."

----------

jbzuckman@tribune.com

Good to know our likely next Supreme Court Justice doesn't let little things like seemingly obvious ethical issues slow him down.

Judge Samuel A. Alito Jr. ruled in a 2002 case in favor of the Vanguard mutual fund company at a time when he owned more than $390,000 in Vanguard funds and later complained about an effort to remove him from the case, court records show -- despite an earlier promise to recuse himself from cases involving the company.

The case involved a Massachusetts woman, Shantee Maharaj, who has spent nearly a decade fighting to win back the assets of her late husband's individual retirement accounts, which had been frozen by Vanguard after a court judgment in favor of a former business partner of her husband.

Her lawyer, John G. S. Flym, a retired Northeastern law professor, said in an interview yesterday that Alito's ''lack of integrity is so flagrant" in the case that he should be disqualified as a Supreme Court nominee...

''I just started seeing Vanguard after Vanguard, and I almost fell to the floor," she said in an interview at the Jamaica Plain home she shares with a friend after losing her own home in the course of the prolonged litigation. ''I just couldn't believe that it could be so blatant."