Sox getting a Metra stop.

Steff

:cheers

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/yr...uth/022syt1.htm

Plans for Sox Metra stop

Construction of a Metra station on 35th Street near U.S. Cellular Field should start by early 2007, Metra board member Alonzo Hill said.

"The 35th Street station is no longer a discussion, it's a reality," Hill told the Cook County board on Tuesday.

Metra plans to solicit bids for design of the Rock Island Line station by the end of this year, Hill said. An engineering contract should be signed by early 2006.

The only problem is that Metra isn't so good when going from line to line.

I live in the west suburbs, I think the Burlington Northern line. To get to another line, I'd have to go to Union Station. Well, at that point I could get on the El.

I really wish they had some sort of cross-line stops... but I guess that's impossible over hundreds and hundreds of square miles...

I'm an Illinois Tech student and this is great news for us too. Also, further developing the neighborhood, IIT is currently working on the largest Southside development since US Cellular Field. Aside from academic facilities, soon the area just across the highway at 35th and State will be home to many new about 20 new restaurants and retail stores. This should be happening by around 2007. The neighborhood is definitely on its way up.

QUOTE(IITsox @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 05:25 PM)
I'm an Illinois Tech student and this is great news for us too.  Also, further developing the neighborhood, IIT is currently working on the largest Southside development since US Cellular Field.  Aside from academic facilities, soon the area just across the highway at 35th and State will be home to many new about 20 new restaurants and retail stores.  This should be happening by around 2007.  The neighborhood is definitely on its way up.

Excellent!

This and the Metra stop are both great news. I think having a strong neighborhood draw for fans before and after the game (restaurants and bars, attractions, safety, lots of transit options) is the last missing piece for the Sox to be successful from a business standpoint. These both sound like great moves in that direction!

My long term thoughts for the White Sox would be to build a parking structure and develop land currently used for parking. The land they own around the park is a friggin goldmine especially if they can gobble up the land to the southeast of the park along Wentworth.

This stop will eliminate some parking, ME FOR SURE, but I park in Canaryville so it does not matter.

This was announced a couple of months back in a promo flyer sent out by Jesse Jackson Jr.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 06:02 PM)
The land they own around the park is a friggin goldmine especially if they can gobble up the land to the southeast of the park along Wentworth. 

I was thinking about the blocks north of the park too. There is the lot, then Armour park and it's building, then a 4 block area of industrial stuff and abandoned warehouses. That would be a good spot to develop too, within sight of the stadium. Plus it extends north into an area already seeing gentrification moving south towards the park.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 05:02 PM)
My long term thoughts for the White Sox would be to build a parking structure and develop land currently used for parking.  The land they own around the park is a friggin goldmine especially if they can gobble up the land to the southeast of the park along Wentworth. 

No way to a parking garage. The one in St Louis is a nightmare.

And BTW.. the Sox don't own the parking lots.. they are ownd by a private group and leased to the ISA. :ph34r:

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 05:06 PM)
nice Idea..by them I need to get my Condo now down there before they go up to much in price.

You got time... They are moving at a snails place to get final plans ready for submission for 4 new condo developments down there. If you're looking to buy new..

Wow that is awsome news for us in the SOuth and SW burbs. Ya know Bruce Levine said something about this the other day. He was saying that the sox here have an oppurtunity to reach out and establish a loyal long lasting fanbase in the expaninding, financially sound, and up and coming areas in the South and SW burbs. This will be the core of the suburban fanbase; Orland, Tinley, Palos, Joliet, Frankfort, New Lenox, Mokena, etc. Its even good for me and other Homewood-Flossmoor people, tinley station is only like a 15 min drive and it will cost like $6 to ride the train vs. $17 to park. This makes the whole ordeal a lot easier on the wallets.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 06:16 PM)
No way to a parking garage. The one in St Louis is a nightmare.

And BTW.. the Sox don't own the parking lots.. they are ownd by a private group and leased to the ISA.  :ph34r:

I thought JR and his family owned the lots?

Agree on the parking garage, tail gateing is almost as much fun as the games themselves.

Please no garages. It's a nightmare for sport/concert arenas IMHO. I went to the Bradley Center in Milwaukee last year and it took an hour just to get out of the garage. The thing was it wasn't even a sold out crowd. Bulls sadly lost that one and I had to wait in a parking garage for an hour. Trust me, it sucks major ass.

Damn, I wish they had this years ago! I could have gone to so many more games as a kid, there's a rock island line stop about a 5 minute walk away from my parents' place. This is wonderful for the sox. I can just imagine all the families taking the train to see the games. Just think of the fan base this stop will develop :D Just one more incentive to move back home with the folks...

QUOTE(dreamrio @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 08:30 PM)
Damn, I wish they had this years ago!  I could have gone to so many more games as a kid, there's a rock island line stop about a 5 minute walk away from my parents' place.  This is wonderful for the sox. I can just imagine all the families taking the train to see the games. Just think of the fan base this stop will develop :D  Just one more incentive to move back home with the folks...

Yeah plus you can drink and not worry about the driving. One would be able to relish in the local bars or hang at the bullpen bar after the game and not have to worry about driving home, just get on the train, AWSOME!!!