Sox playing winter ball

easyw

Jerry Owens went 3-for-5 with two steals yesterday for La Guaira of the VWL.

Owens is batting .370/.445/.445 in 119 at-bats in the VWL. He tops the circuit with nine stolen bases and is second behind Ray Olmedo in average. Nov. 21 - 3:26 pm et

Jerry Owens went 3-for-5 with two steals yesterday for La Guaira of the VWL.

Owens is batting .370/.445/.445 in 119 at-bats in the VWL. He tops the circuit with nine stolen bases and is second behind Ray Olmedo in average. Nov. 21 - 3:26 pm et

Wow, Owens hits wherever he goes. Is there any possible way he could be a bust over a good leadoff hitter? I can't wait to see this guy play.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 05:55 PM)
Yeah, he's hitting about like Pablo Ozuna was last year out there. You can't judge by winter league stats.

You are correct, but given last year at this time he had just finished low-A, it's encouraging.

True leadoff hitters are so hard to find, and many that look like them in the minors turn out to be short on base stealing ability, or taking walks, or working counts, or bunting, etc...

Very hard to project. The fact that he makes such regular contact. He makes solid contact, but doesn't look to drive the ball, not so dissimilar from Pods in that regard. Not that he can't drive the ball, but he doesn't look to do that because it isn't his role (where the maturity helps)...

We'll see. He has legit value in trade as well.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 12:04 PM)
Any updates Bull??

I talked to Bull a couple of weeks ago via PM actually. If you are interested in his progress, he had an MRI after the season he was afraid would reveal the need for Tommy John, which it did not. It did reveal bone spurs but he has been working to fix his throwing motion a little bit so that there wouldn't be as much stress on it anymore. He also said that in under 10 throwing sessions that his arm strength has really come back and he is very close to throwing at 100% of his healthy velocity. He is also very excited with the trade of Damaso Marte meaning that only Arnie Munoz and Paulino Reynoso stand between him and a spot in the Chicago White Sox bullpen.

I don't know if Jim has anything else to add, but I figured I would chip in what I knew from the mouth of the Bull so to speak :)

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 01:40 PM)
I talked to Bull a couple of weeks ago via PM actually.  If you are interested in his progress, he had an MRI after the season he was afraid would reveal the need for Tommy John, which it did not.  It did reveal bone spurs but he has been working to fix his throwing motion a little bit so that there wouldn't be as much stress on it anymore.  He also said that in under 10 throwing sessions that his arm strength has really come back and he is very close to throwing at 100% of his healthy velocity.  He is also very excited with the trade of Damaso Marte meaning that only Arnie Munoz and Paulino Reynoso stand between him and a spot in the Chicago White Sox bullpen.

I don't know if Jim has anything else to add, but I figured I would chip in what I knew from the mouth of the Bull so to speak :)

The Bull is Bajenaru, right?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 12:36 PM)
Yeah like Jas said, Bull=Jim Bullard.  I think Baj's only other nickname is his screenname "manhands".

Thats correct. There are a few others that are registered here and a couple that have made a couple posts, but those are the two well known ones.

Cotts, Haig, Heath, Bmac and some others are other registered members on this site (although neither of them post much).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 04:22 PM)
Thats correct.  There are a few others that are registered here and a couple that have made a couple posts, but those are the two well known ones. 

Cotts, Haig, Heath, Bmac and some others are other registered members on this site (although neither of them post much).

what is B-mac username?