**2005-06 High School Basketball thread**

Brian

Richards beat Leo in OT to advance to the sectional title game against mighty Simeon. Future NIU baller Cody Yelder with 26 points in that one. Washington won a 61-60 thriller over Thornton as well. Crane won by 11 over Westinghouse. Proviso East also advanced.

All 16 sectional title games are Friday night, and damn looking at that schedule there are going to be some f***ing unbelieveable games.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No reason to believe that it won't be Warren vs. GBN on Tuesday at AllState Arena.

I think GBS is highly overrated and I think Jeff Ryan is soft. I think Kevin Bulger is that teams top player. It is hard to beat a team 3 times in a season but I believe that GBN will do so.

Johnsburg will give Warren a game but I think Warren is just too deep for the Skyhawks and will wear them down.

The reason Johnsburg is undefeated is that they play A schools in their conference rather than AA schools which they are. They are moving to the Fox Valley next season though. But they are still a well disciplined team that plays good defense. Believe me, they have not seen a team like Warren all year. Not even close.

QUOTE(Brian @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 11:52 AM)
The reason Johnsburg is undefeated is that they play A schools in their conference rather than AA schools which they are. They are moving to the Fox Valley next season though. But they are still a well disciplined team that plays good defense. Believe me, they have not seen a team like Warren all year. Not even close.

Oh trust me I know that, and I think Warren will win. But Johnsburg being undefeated is really big for them mentally, they aren't going to go in afraid like I think a lot of teams do against a team as good as Warren, and I think Fiedorowicz will use his height and great talents to have a huge game. If he can get some help like he did the other night, this could be a classic. I hope Warren wins though, I really think they could beat GBN.

Proviso East beat St. Joseph's 75-72 behind 30 points, 15 rebounds, and 6 blocks from Brian Carlwell.

And Rock Falls, who just 7 years ago won the state championship in class A and is BARELY big enough to be a AA school, won a AA sectional title at the buzzer on a 3 over Rockford Boylan.

My goodness, looking at the 8 super sectional matchups....this is one of the better years I can remember in terms of sweet 16 matchups in AA, all of these games could be GREAT.

Monday March 13, 2006 (doubleheader at UIC):

Game 1: South Holland (Thornwood) vs. Homewood-Flossmoor at 6

Game 2: Maywood (Proviso East) vs. Chicago (Simeon) at 8

Tuesday March 14, 2006: (doubleheader at Allstate Arena):

Game 1: Northbrook (Glenbrook North) vs. Gurnee (Warren) at 6

Game 2: Aurora (West) vs. Lockport (Twp.) at 8

At NIU: Rock Falls vs. Schaumberg (H.S.) 7:30

At Chicago (DePaul): Chicago (Marshall) vs. Wilmette (Loyola Academy) 7:30

At Normal (ISU): Bloomington (H.S.) vs. Peoria (Richwoods) 7:30

At Carbondale (SIU): East St. Louis (H.S.) vs. Edwardsville (H.S.) 7:30

Whew!! What a lineup of games, should be great. Rock Falls is a former class A powerhouse (1999 state champs) and is barely big enough to be AA, it's amazing they have went this far. Lockport has also come out of nowhere to get this far. All 8 of these games could be great, so stay tuned.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Undefeated Seneca up tied with IVC with 3 mins left in A State Title Game. Would be the first single A team to go undefeated and win state in almost 40 years they said.

Edited by Brian

Well it was a good run for Valpo. Won this morning to get into the final eight, but lost tonight to Penn. The officiating was one of the worst I have ever seen, the security had to keep us and the other fans off the court basically because it was getting so out of hand. We still beat ourselves though..

First 2 games of the AA Supers tonight.....a nice little doubleheader at UIC with Thornwood vs. Homewood-Floosmoor followed by Proviso East vs. Simeon, with the 2 winners heading downstate. It could definitely be debated that the winner of game 2 is the favorite to win the whole damned thing.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
First 2 games of the AA Supers tonight.....a nice little doubleheader at UIC with Thornwood vs. Homewood-Floosmoor followed by Proviso East vs. Simeon, with the 2 winners heading downstate.  It could definitely be debated that the winner of game 2 is the favorite to win the whole damned thing.

Um....I think GBN is the big time favorite as of right now.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 08:15 PM)
Um....I think GBN is the big time favorite as of right now.

I wouldn't call them a big time favorite. Warren will give em a run tomorrow night. Simeon, West Aurora (who will probably romp Lockport tomorrow), and GBN are evenly favorites. I've followed Warren all year and I think it is hilarious how nobody gives em a chance, yet nobody has really seen em cuz they are way up here in Lake County.

QUOTE(Brian @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 10:39 PM)
Thornwood upsets Homewood-Flossmor in 3OT, 40-38. At the UIC.

Simeon sent Brian Carlwell  and Proviso East home in the 2nd game, 67-57. Both team advance down state.

Proviso East's guards absolutely suck. They have no concept of how to play the game of basketball. None of them can pass at all and they all just chuck contested 25 foot threes. Carlwell showed me a lot of potential. He runs the floor like a guard, he is a terrific passer for a 7'0", he has good size, nice touch for a big man, and he altered nearly every shot not taken by Simeon other than the ones taken by Rose. Unfortunately his guards decide to ignore him over and over again for some reason. He needs to work on fighting for position in the blocks a little better and he has to learn to keep the ball high because he got tied up a couple of times by guards. Weber has a ton to work with in Carlwell.

Rose is phenomenal. Out of control at times but a terrific talent. Unbelievable first step. Not quite at Eric Gordon's level IMO as a player but I drool over the thought of the two of them in a backcourt together.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

Rose isn't at the level of Gordon in terms of mid range to 3 point shooting and isn't nearly as far along in terms of being disciplined and well coached, but damn he's got a hell of a skill set. I hope what I heard a few weeks back was WRONG WRONG WRONG, those 2 in the same backcourt would be frightening, especially since Rose is a bit shorter at 6'2 and a natural point and Gordon at 6'4 is a natural 2. And they are both just unfathomably athletic.

Oh, and Carlwell ended up with 14 and 10 tonight. His guards are pathetic, but you can see the potential. He's a legit 7 footer on the floor (aka in shoes lol) and has a great skill set and a nice touch on his left handed shot. Can't wait to see him in Champaign next year.

I like how Thornwood follows up a 5 OT win with a 3 OT win to get downstate. That's kinda cute, except for the fact that they will lose by 15 to Simeon if they are lucky. Rose is obviously a stud, but all those guys he gets open looks for MAKE their shots, they have a 6'9 guy Johnson who can guard another teams big man, and the Wolverines undersized big man Tim Flowers is a solid player.

Btw Brian, I think the reason Warren gets no respect is that they are so damned short and play almost a 5 guard lineup. But I will say this right now, Warren is going to beat GBN tomorrow and people shouldn't be as shocked as I think they'll be.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 14, 2006 -> 01:24 AM)
Btw Brian, I think the reason Warren gets no respect is that they are so damned short and play almost a 5 guard lineup.  But I will say this right now, Warren is going to beat GBN tomorrow and people shouldn't be as shocked as I think they'll be.

You sound like you know about Warren. Kind of surprised cuz they don't get a lot of recognition in the big papers.

You're right about the height. Warren has a 6'1 forward in Mitchell Moore, who guards all the centers and he just pushes em around. He is very strong and athletic and will probably contain Zack Kelly for th most part. He is alos playing football and Iowa State next year.

Bembry will probably be on Scheyer. Bembry will be able to stay in front of him, but not sure if he is tall enough to contest a lot of his shots. I'm hoping he will.

All the things writers and people knock the Blue Devils for, they over come.

The best junior you may not have heard of in the state is Ceola Clark. Does a great job moving without the ball and if he isolated, does a great job creating space and knocking down mid rang jumpers. That will be a mis match for GBN tonight.

GO BIG BLUE!

QUOTE(Brian @ Mar 14, 2006 -> 09:46 AM)
You sound like you know about Warren. Kind of surprised cuz they don't get a lot of recognition in the big papers.

You're right about the height. Warren has a 6'1 forward in Mitchell Moore, who guards all the centers and he just pushes em around. He is very strong and athletic and will probably contain Zack Kelly for th most part. He is alos playing football and Iowa State next year.

Bembry will probably be on Scheyer. Bembry will be able to stay in front of him, but not sure if he is tall enough to contest a lot of his shots. I'm hoping he will.

All the things writers and people knock the Blue Devils for, they over come.

The best junior you may not have heard of in the state is Ceola Clark. Does a great job moving without the ball and if he isolated, does a great job creating space and knocking down mid rang jumpers. That will be a mis match for GBN tonight.

GO BIG BLUE!

I read a lot sir, especially about local hoops, so I know quite a bit ;). Plus, I was at the doubleheader at Northwestern, and was amazed by Warren even though they lost. They did well to handle the height disadvantage they had, especially against somebody as good as Carlwell (and now of course, PE is gone). Also, I really like Marcus Lewis on Warren, he's a solid player and even though he's coming to my school (NIU) to play football (and will be a damn good WR), I wish he'd consider trying hoops too, haha. Kelly is a decent player, and will have height on Moore, but Moore is used to being the shorter guy and he will do a good job (I wish NIU had gotten him for football too lol). Ceola Clark is the best kept junior secret in Illinois, and one of the best in the country. NIU is recruiting him hard, and I hope we can steal him next year like we did Cody Yelder this year in recruiting for hoops.

And also, apparently the winner of this game is actually going to play Simeon downstate, I had bad info. Warren OR GBN vs. Simeon would be a lot of fun, but I honestly would like Warren's chances better. Rose would do whatever he wants on GBN, wheras Warren at least would be athletic enough to play him somewhat adequately.

Scheyer impressed me at times tonight, but he still takes really stupid shots at the most inoppurtune times. Three pointers with hands in his face down by one tonight not once, but three times? He's lucky he converted the one or Warren would have won.

I suppose it doesn't matter too much now, but am I the only one who thinks hes going to be only an average to above average player at Duke?

QUOTE(danman31 @ Mar 14, 2006 -> 08:17 PM)
GBN beats Warren 48-41. I don't know how you guys can really doubt GBN to be honest. The state champ is probably going to come from the GBN vs. Simeon quarterfinal.

They were VERY lucky to catch Warren on their worst night probably of the entire season, I doubt they are as lucky when they take on Simeon Friday.

R&W, I agree with you to be honest on Scheyer only being an average player at Duke. But then again, I thought the same thing about Redick and look how much he has developed. The current Scheyer is a guy that won't be anything special at Duke, but you never know if maybe he will turn into Redick, Coach K is great with coaching shooting guards. Scheyer is one of the all time great HIGH SCHOOL players in this state though, that's for sure.

As for the Elite 8 games, all 4 could be GREAT but for different reasons. The first side of the bracket is the obviously weak one, with Peoria Richwoods vs. Aurora West and Thornwood vs. Schaumburg. The other side of the bracket with GBN vs. Simeon and Marshall vs. Edwardsville is quite a duo.

West is a very good team with an impressive record (I believe 28-1) but Richwoods has been playing GREAT ball lately, beating 2 damned good teams in Washington and Bloomington, while getting great play from Justin Dehm and Illini recruit Bill Cole. West doesn't have as much talent as many past West teams, but they are VERY well coached and play sound defense. This should be a hell of a game, I'll take Richwoods in a tight one since I want to see Cole play 3 games this weekend and I'm a homer :lol:

Schaumburg vs. Thornwood is IMO a matchup of the 2 weakest teams in Peoria. With that said, I think this will be a close game. Thornwood is VERY tough mentally considering their last 2 wins had a combined EIGHT overtimes, and Schaumburg has a lot of offensive talent. Expect this to be a battle of tempo, with Thornwood taking long posessions through Trey Blue and the Saxons trying to run and find Jake Pancratz. I think Thornwood is out of miracles though, and Schaumberg advances.

At night, the fun starts. Simeon vs. GBN should be a classic. The 2 matchups to watch are Rose vs. Scheyer (duh!) but maybe moreso Zach Kelley and Tim Flowers on the interior. Both teams are balanced, both have a star at guard and inside, and this one could go either way. I pick Simeon because of the fact that Rose can score just as well as Scheyer, but is also a better distributor and has better shot selection. The winner of this game takes state IMO.

In the nightcap, we get a matchup which will be just as good as game 3 (although not as hyped) as 30-0 Edwardsville takes on 30-2 Marshall. The game features 4 players who will be finishing up their freshmen year of Major D 1 ball this time a year from now (Darrius Gaters NIU and Patrick Beverly TBD of Marshall, Spencer Stewart UIC and Dustin Maguire Saint Louis of Edwardsville). This game is going to be an absolute smack down battle, and expect a lot of high wire action and points. Marshall has more balance and weapons however, and going undefeated in AA is just tooooo damn hard, so I got Marshall in a close one.

All I can say is the first 2 games and first semi will be very competitive, but the last 2 games and second semi are going to be very competitive and played at a level as high as any HS games played in the country this season. Whoever somehow survives the bottom half of the bracket will win state. I have my money on Simeon, I think it's Derrick Rose's time to shine, but also watch Marshall. I am pretty sure the State Champ in AA this year will be a CPL team.