**2005-06 High School Basketball thread**

Brian

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This event in Indianapolis looks f***ing awesome. I might have to make the trip to Indy for the day even though it is a 3 hour drive from my house. The games of interests to Illini fans would be the 6:00 game between Simeon HS (IL) and North Central (IN) which is a battle of Derrick Rose vs. Eric Gordon. And than the 8:00 game features Proviso East (IL) vs. Lawrence North (IN). Proviso East has Illni C commit Brian Carlwell vs. Ohio St. commits Greg Oden and Mike Conley. Carlwell will probably be outplayed but it should be an interesting game. Some other big time players at listed at the bottom.

Edit: forgot the link LINK

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 07:44 PM)
He's going to flop.  This from a Duke fan. :(

How many times have you seen him play? I find it very hard to believe that he won't thrive in Duke's system. He has everything god, I mean coach K, is looking for in his 2 guard/SF's. He will do fine at Duke.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 08:10 PM)
This event in Indianapolis looks f***ing awesome.  I might have to make the trip to Indy for the day even though it is a 3 hour drive from my house.  The games of interests to Illini fans would be the 6:00 game between Simeon HS (IL) and North Central (IN) which is a battle of Derrick Rose vs. Eric Gordon.  And than the 8:00 game features Proviso East (IL) vs. Lawrence North (IN).  Proviso East has Illni C commit Brian Carlwell vs. Ohio St. commits Greg Oden and Mike Conley.  Carlwell will probably be outplayed but it should be an interesting game.  Some other big time players at listed at the bottom.

Edit: forgot the link LINK

I'm gonna have to seriously consider going to that little tourney...hmm, road trip...

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 07:13 PM)
How many times have you seen him play? I find it very hard to believe that he won't thrive in Duke's system. He has everything god, I mean coach K, is looking for in his 2 guard/SF's. He will do fine at Duke.

I've seen him play quite a few times. I have good friends that are good friends with him. :lol: I just don't think to highly of him, hopefully I'm wrong.

GBN beat Waukegan tonight 60-51. GBN looked flat, hope it just an off night cuz if you are the #1 team in ILL, I expected more. Sheyer had 29.

Waukegan doesn't play defense really well and rather selfishly on the offensive side.

A Warren vs. GBK Super Sectional would be a great game. Hope it happens.

All the Scheyer hates have been proven wrong over time. I remember a couple years ago people were saying he wasn't that good for high school. Then he had arguably the best season of anyone last year and won the state title. Now he's going to Duke and people are saying he won't do well there. He is perfect for Duke. He's shown improvement every year. He's taking over more control of GBN this year, but he has shown he can be a great team player like his freshman year when they finished 3rd in state and he was with an all senior starting lineup other than him.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 02:12 AM)
All the Scheyer hates have been proven wrong over time. I remember a couple years ago people were saying he wasn't that good for high school. Then he had arguably the best season of anyone last year and won the state title. Now he's going to Duke and people are saying he won't do well there. He is perfect for Duke. He's shown improvement every year. He's taking over more control of GBN this year, but he has shown he can be a great team player like his freshman year when they finished 3rd in state and he was with an all senior starting lineup other than him.

I'll wait to make my overall judgments, but he has yet to play in a system in which he wasn't the focus. Every time down the court GBN will make sure the play is set-up for him. And I mean this literally. There will be 4 or 5 picks just to make sure he keeps the ball.

You better bet that will not be the case at Duke. He'll have to actually learn how to create his own shot and lock down on defense.

QUOTE(Nokona @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 12:48 AM)
If Conatn converst the layup SCheyeyr never scores his 560 potins and may ened up going to Illinois and fading into IHSA history as a merely a top national recruit.

Just a thought...

Let it go man. s*** happens.

GBN stayed undefeated with a 54-47 win over reigning Tennessee state champ Ridgeway from Memphis. GBN never trailed and Scheyer had 36 points. One. Man. Team. Even last year's team was more balanced than this, but hey, they are winning.

Edited by danman31

QUOTE(Brian @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 10:59 PM)
Evanston upsets Waukegan tonight, 68-65 ini Evanston.

Upsets? I'd think those teams are pretty even and it was in Evanston. Waukegan lost most of their talent from last year's team. They're still decent, but Evanston is no slouch.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to see the Circle City Classic yesterday...Thought I would provide a few highlights.

Simeon vs. North Central

Derrick Rose wasn't himself as he was playing with a stomach flu. So the great matchup between him and Gordon didnt really materialize. Gordon is as good as advertised. He has a lightning quick release and is much more athletic than he looks. Back to back steals by Gordon which both resulted in one handed tomahawk dunks pretty much brought the house down. On the second dunk he basically jumped over and around the Simeon defender. He finished with 32 points. Despite the fact that Rose had a poor game 2-11 from the floor and nine turnovers, Simeon had a chance to win but missed a wide open 12 footer right before the buzzer sounded. Final was 68-66 or something like that. Overall, both teams are really good and I still am hoping for a Rose-Gordon 2007 Illini backcourt.

Proviso East - Lawrence North

Yeah so Greg Oden is pretty good. :ph34r: By my count he had six dunks in the first half. Brian Carlwell was no match for him on either end of the court and pretty much was dominated. I was amazed by how good the entire Lawrence North team was. Conley didnt have a great game but you can see how good of a 'pure' point guard he is. But the main reason Conley was held down was the sensational play by Jacob Pullen, Junior guard for Proviso East. He played phenominal and you will be hearing a lot about him in the next year and a half. He would be a great backup plan for the Illini if they can't land Derrick Rose. He's a great shooter and very quick with the ball. Pullen finished with 26 and Oden and 32 and 17. Carwell had 8 points, 9 boards. He looked a little 'gimpy' out there and times and it almost looked like he was favoring his back out there. Final score North 72- Proviso 59.

Sidenotes: Bruce Weber was in the house to watch his future Illini Carlwell and Gordon. He was also there to see 2008 point guard Korey Lucious from Milwaukee King, Derrick Rose and Jacob Pullen.

I also spotted a number of other recruits from various schools. In addition Chris Webber was there to see the action.

Awesome event, and they already promised a Simeon-North Central rematch for next years tourney. :headbang

QUOTE(danman31 @ Dec 18, 2005 -> 05:21 PM)
Anybody else think Derrick Rose is way overrated? Big game and he has stomach flu, what a load of crap. Rose is not that good, U of I shouldn't want him.

I've seen enough of Rose to know he is a spectacular player. His hype is a little more than it should be, but I still see him as a top 3 point guard prospect for 2007. His athleticism and ballhandling is ridiculous. He needs to improve his shot and could actually become a better player if he became a little more selfish. The talent is there and he is THAT good. U of I should want him...you put a player with his skills next to EJ Gordon and Jamar Smith and you have a near unstoppable combination when working with Weber's motion offense.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 11:08 AM)
Valpo is now 7-0. Oden is going down in the state finals this year.

Not a chance. After seeing them play that game on ESPN, Oden has improved a ton in two years. He is really starting to play like a next level big man, instead of a guy who is just bigger than everyone else. Plus there is no one in the state who can slow down that inside/outside balance.

QUOTE(Brian @ Dec 18, 2005 -> 04:34 PM)
Speaking of overrated. Jeff Ryan of Glenbrook SOuth, not that good. Saw him play against Waukegan on Friday and he shot horribly. Just doesn't look like a division 1 player. Have fun, Northwestern.

Seriously. I've known that ever since he was on GBS' varsity his freshman year. He's just not that talented. He's good and he's tall for high school, but he's not a D1 product.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 03:39 PM)
Not a chance.  After seeing them play that game on ESPN, Oden has improved a ton in two years.  He is really starting to play like a next level big man, instead of a guy who is just bigger than everyone else.  Plus there is no one in the state who can slow down that inside/outside balance.

Even if we don't win at all this year, there really isn't much doubt that we can win it all next year. Both Hummel and Martin are only juniors, and have more potential. Also, I think we could match the inside/outside balance because both Hummel and Martin were guards up until last year, so that means they can shoot the treys and pound it down low. Also, Kyle West has a great three point shot. I know I'm very optimistic about this team, but they are great. Everyone's already comparing them to the Drew/Bishop team.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, Proviso East got upset by Fenwick in Overtime at the Proviso West tourney. GBN won, Sheyer dropped 41. Proviso West tournament games are streaming online right here

Pontiac tournament starts tomorrow. Warren opens up against Lane Tech. Hopefully there will be a Simeon vs. Warren final. Pontiac tournament games will be streamed online right here