Thome's health

jackie hayes

There seems to be a lot of concern about Thome's health. The national analysis seems to be that Thome's not likely to ever recover his old form (and some writer from Philly echoed that last night on ESPN radio).

Thome has had elbow and back problems. Most of the discussion (that I've heard) has focused on his back. But I was under the impression that these are the same problems he's been dealing with almost his entire career. Is there any reason to believe that the problem will get much worse now?

Noone seems to be mentioning the elbow much -- presumably because it should recover after the surgery. And I believe that was the cause of most of his missed time last season, not his back. How big of a concern is the elbow? Is the recovery pretty straightforward?

It just seems odd -- people point to last season, then talk about his back. He's reportedly in great condition, so why should the back be any more a problem than before? Anyone with medical/training/physical therapy knowledge want to chip in, let the rest of us know how much we should worry? How these conditions usually progress, etc. Just looking for enlightenment here. Thanks.

There is no way that KW does this deal without having some kind of idea on Thome's health. From the articles that I have read, it says that the Phillies trainer has said that Jim has been in an aggressive rehab regimen since his surgery and is in the best shape he has been in for years.

He is only going to play DH, and maybe a couple of games at 1B to spell Paulie.

He is not going to be the Jim Thome of the 1990's, but in the Cell he can easily put up numbers comparable to Paulie's 2005 (40HR/100RBI).

I'm not trying to throw cold water on the trade. The thing is, I'm not worried about Thome's health, but many commentators seem to be. I just want to get the other side and some expert analysis. Just to know why everyone seems so down on Thome. It doesn't make sense to me, but obviously it does to others. Someone scare me please.

Thome's Health

First baseman Jim Thome has been in Clearwater, Fla., this week working out. Amaro, the team's assistant GM, said trainer Jeff Cooper told him yesterday that Thome is "in the best shape he's ever seen him as an athlete." Thome suffered from back problems last season before he had season-ending right-elbow surgery in July.

http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily...es/13186746.htm

more...

On the surface it would seem that the physical could be a major hurdle since Thome has had various maladies over the past two seasons. However, the Phillies have been closely monitoring Thome's physical condition ever since he underwent season-ending surgery on his right elbow in July. The word that came from Clearwater, Fla., in recent weeks was that Thome was working vigorously in his rehab and slimming down a thick frame that led to chronic back issues in recent seasons. Because Thome has been under such close watch it would be unlikely that the White Sox would have come this far without a firm belief that Thome was able to pass a physical.

http://www.timesherald.com/site/news.cfm?B...3&PAG=461&rfi=9

Edited by WinninUgly

You guys will love Thome--he's as healthy as any 35 year old baseball player can be. The elbow problem was successfully corrected in surgery, and the back issues have been corrected quickly in-season in the past, and may not even resurface considering the aggressive approach he's taken to rehab.

I'll take him back if you guys don't wnat him...but we get to keep the lefties! ;)

QUOTE(phillychuck @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 10:41 AM)
You guys will love Thome--he's as healthy as any 35 year old baseball player can be.

I'll take him back if you guys don't wnat him...but we get to keep the lefties! ;)

I remember hearing that about El Duque too. I'm not doubting this about Thome...but I'd rather see it than just hear about it. I can't wait to see if it's true in ST.

That being said...I know I've heard everybody say Frank is gone. It sure would be nice to keep him around in some way shape or form if his bat is needed at some point. Will it happen...doubtful. Hell...we don't even know if Frank's foot is healed properly.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 01:50 PM)
I remember hearing that about El Duque too.  I'm not doubting this about Thome...but I'd rather see it than just hear about it.  I can't wait to see if it's true in ST. 

That being said...I know I've heard everybody say Frank is gone.  It sure would be nice to keep him around in some way shape or form if his bat is needed at some point.  Will it happen...doubtful.  Hell...we don't even know if Frank's foot is healed properly.

Duque has been injury prone for as long as I can remember. Thome shouldn't be penalized for ONE injury prone season. Hell, we wanted Griffey last season for crying out loud.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 01:52 PM)
Duque has been injury prone for as long as I can remember.  Thome shouldn't be penalized for ONE injury prone season.  Hell,  we wanted Griffey last season for crying out loud.

Oh don't get me wrong...I'm not comparing Thome and Duque in terms of injuries. I've just always cringed just a bit or wondered when I hear people saying "he's in the best shape of his life..." when referring to a professional athlete in their upper 30's.

I am cautiously optimistic, but iwill feel much better if he hammers 10 Hr's in April while putting up a good average. Than I'll really be feeling better.

Of course who knows if he holds up. There is obviously some risk to this trade, if there wasn't any risk the Sox would have given up even more prospects and wouldn't have been getting that 22 million in cash.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 02:00 PM)
Oh don't get me wrong...I'm not comparing Thome and Duque in terms of injuries.  I've just always cringed just a bit or wondered when I hear people saying "he's in the best shape of his life..." when referring to a professional athlete in their upper 30's.

Oh ok. I see what you're saying. Just have some faith in Kenny and his people. I just refuse to believe he makes a deal of this magnitude without being 99% sure Thome was healthy.

QUOTE(timotime @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 10:02 AM)
people are just looking for a reason to be cynical. we have the best trainer in the game (herm schnieder) and thome will be DHing. so i would say the odds of him getting messed up are slim.

I am convinced herm needs a trainer himself. I mean look at him when he waddles out...

Sox Fans,

I would not at all worry about Thome's health. He has been a mad man this off-season in trying to get healthy. He hit 40 HR in 2004 with bad wrists. His back threw him off course last year, but, again, he has been religious about his conditioning program this off season. Don't be surprised if you see a 2003-like season from him... .266/47/131.

here are some fimilar numbers:

.274 31HR 86RBI .333OBP .512 SLG

thats what an certin player did comming back from a major injury last year. the team that he played for, ours... his name jermane dye

soooo.... lets all just trust that kdub did his homework again.

Sox Fans,

I would not at all worry about Thome's health.  He has been a mad man this off-season in trying to get healthy.  He hit 40 HR in 2004 with bad wrists.  His back threw him off course last year, but, again, he has been religious about his conditioning program this off season.  Don't be surprised if you see a 2003-like season from him... .266/47/131.

Ed Farmer said that he has known Thome for 14 years and that he talked to him the other day. He said that Thome was working out like crazy in Florida and that his elbow is 100% healthy now after his surgery. He also said that Thome's back problems are exaggerated. Farmer thinks Thome will be perfectly healthy to start next season.