What to do with extra Thome money?

VAfan

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 09:36 AM)
Interesting discussion here.

My guess is Guillen wants speed and contact from the 4th OF spot.  I agree that Timo has run his course and they should find someone else.

Borchard is an option.  It really comes down to his value, is it more to the White Sox or could they get something of value in trade?

If they plan to let Anderson and Owens battle it out for CF does the 2nd place finisher stay as the 4th OF, or is it too risky to have two rookies?

KW is also looking for some 3B insurance incase Crede needs some time off.

During the trade season last August, there were rumors of Borchard going to SD for 3B Sean Burroughs, as he is in basically hte same position that Borchard is in Chicago - high expectations, but failed potential....

Interesting to see if that becomes reality as both players could use a fresh start.

QUOTE(Palehose13 @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 07:36 PM)
What is laughable is that only one person (I believe) realizes that the $22 million coming from Philadelphia is to pay Jim Thome.

I think most people know that. Most people in here were probably just talking what to do with the money we still have left due to only taking on about a 4 mill increase to get Thome.

I think the Sox believe they are set in the OF with Pods, Dye, Anderson, Perez, Borchard, and they will probably have Owens or Young up as well.

They will probably go after a 3B for some insurance on Crede's back or add a backup 1B that can DH in addition to Thome. Mueller or Olerud seem like viable options. Both are great OBP guys and Olerud has actually won a couple of GGs.

QUOTE(timotime @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 02:51 PM)
dont underestimate the clutch bloop single!

Don't underestimate what Timo brings to the clubhouse. Plus he is a solid defensive player whose versatile. I knock Timo's offense as much as the next guy, but when your the 25th guy sometimes there are more important things and Timo never complains and really keeps guys lose.

Plus he has gotten enough big hits to warrant him getting limited playing time. That said I don't think he'll be around this next year (but he may still be).

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 01:23 PM)
They will probably go after a 3B for some insurance on Crede's back or add a backup 1B that can DH in addition to Thome.  Mueller or Olerud seem like viable options.  Both are great OBP guys and Olerud has actually won a couple of GGs.

If you're gonna sign Olerud, why not just keep Gload?