Rowand tidbit

daa84

Remember when the sox were talking to atlanta about russ ortiz and andruw jones. If i remember correctly, the day the sox beat the cubs (maddux vs. loaiza...sosa hit two bombs but the sox still won) there were rumors that magglio would be traded to atlanta for those two, which later on that day proved to be a false front as after that game the sox traded for garcia...i digress.....anyways the point is even during last offseason the sox were still interested in andruw jones....atlanta wanted rowand but the sox wouldnt do it.....while i cant complain since we won the series, those 51 homers woulda been nice and id rather have andruw than thome going into this year

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5116520

Interesting note on Rowand: White Sox GM Ken Williams has long coveted Braves center fielder Andruw Jones, but balked when the Braves mentioned Rowand's name in a potential trade for Jones off-season. Go argue with Williams: Jones broke out with a 51-homer season, but Rowand helped the White Sox win their first World Series since 1917.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 12:46 PM)
I'll take the ring.

haha no arguement from me...i just think 05 sox w/jones > 05 sox w/rowand...but thats a moot point....what iwas tryin to say is 06 sox w/jones > 06 sox w/Thome

Jones would have been nice. I'm not unhappy with Thome at $8 million a year though. Thome will likely put up a better AVG and OPS than Jones next season.

I believe Jones is being paid something like $13 million a season.

Jones will earn $13 million next season and $13.5 million in 2007. After that, he will be a free agent.

Edited by SSH2005

Jones last year >>> Thome ever (simply because of Jones defense to go on top of all that power).

That said I like the move the Sox made. Trading for Jones last year wouldn't have been finacially smart because the Sox would have capped themselves from making the other quality signings they did.

Jones last year >>> Thome ever (simply because of Jones defense to go on top of all that power). 

That said I like the move the Sox made.  Trading for Jones last year wouldn't have been finacially smart because the Sox would have capped themselves from making the other quality signings they did.

True, but Jones probably won't have another year like that just like Derrek Lee won't. Thome consistently put up monster years. Of course, he's 35 years old now.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 07:35 PM)

Jones 2005: 160 games, 586 AB, .263/.347/.575/.922, 51 HR, 128 RBI

Thome 2002: 147 games, 480 AB, .304/.445/.677/1.122, 52 HR, 118 RBI

I'd take Thome's 2002 over Jones' 2005 anyday of the week. Hell, I'd take all of Thome's seasons, with the exception of 2005 and 1991-1994, over Jones' 2005. (offensively at least, and afaik, Thome isn't that bad with the glove either)

QUOTE(Felix @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 10:13 PM)
Jones 2005: 160 games, 586 AB, .263/.347/.575/.922, 51 HR, 128 RBI

Thome 2002: 147 games, 480 AB, .304/.445/.677/1.122, 52 HR, 118 RBI

I'd take Thome's 2002 over Jones' 2005 anyday of the week.  Hell, I'd take all of Thome's seasons, with the exception of 2005 and 1991-1994, over Jones' 2005. (offensively at least, and afaik, Thome isn't that bad with the glove either)

You are comparing pretty different eras in baseball, even if 2002 is only 4 years ago.

Jim Thome was also 31ish in 2002, and anywhere from 26-34 is the prime of a player's career. Jim Thome is on the wrong side of that time period.

If given the choice between Jim Thome and Andruw Jones this year, I would say to give me Jones any day of the week. He strikes out like hell, he has a hole in his swing, but he hits the ball with a ton of power, and has very good defense in CF. The fact that he's younger doesn't hurt either.

Not saying I don't like Thome...

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 12:07 AM)
You are comparing pretty different eras in baseball, even if 2002 is only 4 years ago. 

Jim Thome was also 31ish in 2002, and anywhere from 26-34 is the prime of a player's career.  Jim Thome is on the wrong side of that time period.

If given the choice between Jim Thome and Andruw Jones this year, I would say to give me Jones any day of the week.  He strikes out like hell, he has a hole in his swing, but he hits the ball with a ton of power, and has very good defense in CF.  The fact that he's younger doesn't hurt either.

sure, i would also take miguel cabrera, a-rod, albert pujols... unfortunately we can't have everything we want AND fortunately we did win the World Series, and if we re-sign Paulie all we have done is replace Carl Everett with Jim Thome. Not a bad off-season's work.

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 02:54 PM)
Yeah, who knows where the Sox would be if that deal went thru and they were paying $10 million extra for Jones.  That might have meant no Pods, no Count, no Blum, etc.

And most importantly....NO AJ!!!

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
sure, i would also take miguel cabrera, a-rod, albert pujols... unfortunately we can't have everything we want AND fortunately we did win the World Series, and if we re-sign Paulie all we have done is replace Carl Everett with Jim Thome.  Not a bad off-season's work.

Since when have there ever been rumors of the Sox trading for Miggy, ARod, or Pujols? :huh:

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 12:07 AM)

Jim Thome was also 31ish in 2002, and anywhere from 26-34 is the prime of a player's career.  Jim Thome is on the wrong side of that time period.

If given the choice between Jim Thome and Andruw Jones this year, I would say to give me Jones any day of the week.  He strikes out like hell, he has a hole in his swing, but he hits the ball with a ton of power, and has very good defense in CF.  The fact that he's younger doesn't hurt either.

I'd rather have Thome. Jones would cost us about another $6 mil a year; we'd have had control of him for about a half a season less, after which he'd probably be considerably more expensive; he's a career .267 hitter compared to Thome's .281; and his OBP is considerably lower. Plus this past season surpased his career high in homers by 15. That's a total I don't expect him to get anywhere close to again unless he goes to an extreme hitter's park. Frankly, before this year Carlos Lee was probably a better hitter. A healthy Thome (all signs seem to say he will be long before opening day) has a much bigger impact on the lineup, which is more valuable to us right now than Jones' defense, especially since Thome is a lefty.