I know... I know...

kapkomet

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 12:51 PM)
KAP, this is the prince of persia you want...definately in my all time top 5, and I have been playing the X since it came out...and I play a lot...that's what happens with a long term girlfriend.  :P

Prince of Persia

The forward-time and reverse-time function on the sword are absolutely pimp. I never got to finish the game because I rented it, but I really loved playing it. I didnt realize that the new PoP game was the third sequel, I thought it was only the second. Shows how up to date I am ;)

If you like stealth action games, do youself a favor and get either Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty or Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

If you like tempo music games or rock music, like Frequency, try Guitar Hero. Its one of the most addicting games I've played on the PS2. The game features 30+ cover songs from Hendrix, Black Sabbath, David Bowie, ZZ Top, Deep Purple, Incubus, Ozzy Osbourne, Queens of the Stone Age, Audioslave, Helmet, The Ramones, Boston, Judas Priest, Queen, Megadeath, Motorhead, and others. The only problem is that the game costs $70, which includes the game and a controller shaped like a guitar.

if your looking for football: NCAA 06 is the best game from this year i think.

basketball: any of the 2k games, stay away from EA for basketball

hockey: i bought ea's nhl 2006, but mostly because it came w/ nhl 94.

baseball: MVP, no doubt about it.

For other games, the metal gear series is always good, as is the grand theft auto series.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 09:11 AM)
I'm like so three years ago, but I finally got off my ass and bought a playstation2.

So what's the best games to get?  My gosh there's so many.

And I have the online dealie... so give me a couple of days to get up to speed... and then who'd like to get their ass kicked at what?  :lol:

Lol, I just sold mine on Ebay, had I known I'd have hooked ya up.

I have played an awful lot of games from an awful lot of genres, so here goes my list of my favorite PS2 games. In my experience there are a lot more quality titles for the PS2 than for other systems.

Sports- Amazingly I don't have as many of these as I used to. I've lost my affection for the baseball and basketball games. I just haven't really liked them all that much. Madden is an obvious one, and the newest NCAA is pretty good, although the team discipline thing gets annoying. NBA Street Vol 3 is pretty good if you can deal with the arcade style. NFL Street and NBA Ballers were fun for a while but got old somewhat quickly.

Action/adventure- There are several good ones in this category. God of War is a must own. The graphics are solid, with a good story line and solid game play. Devil May Cry 3 also fits into this category, although some don't like it as much because it is fairly difficult. DMC I is also worth the small investment, but avoid the second one like the plague. Prince of Persia is also excellent. It involves more thought in the puzzles and trap avoidance (good thing, because the combat was pretty iffy). The first version was definitely better than the second, although the upcoming third version looks good. One of my old favorites is Mark of Kri, which is well worth the current price. It's rather short, but there is some solid combat and some quality stealth elements. The second version is not as good. Shadow of the Colossus is also supposed to be very good, although I haven't played it (not my style ). Just for fun, I'm going to throw GTA: San Andreas in this category. I enjoyed this game immensely. The game is simply huge, and the controls are better than they were in the past. Any of the Metal Gear Solids are also very good.

Racing- One of my all-time favorite games is Twisted Metal Black. There's nothing quite like fast paced mayhem where your goal is to blow everthing up (guess it isn't racing, but hey, it has cars). Gran Turismo 4 is a fantastic racing game, although it's more simulation than arcade style. There are numerous quality arcade style racing games, like Burnout Revenge, Midnight Club 2 or 3, and most of the Need for Speed games.

Fighting- I'm usually not a big fan of these, but for some reason I own several. Soul Calibur two is a fantastic game with great graphics and large move sets. It's not your typical button masher, so it takes some skill. The two Mortal Kombat fighting games are also fairly good, although it's a real pain in the ass to unlock characters in Deception. Tekken is also a personal favorite, and although I didn't personally like it as much Virtua Fighter 4 is highly acclaimed.

Shooters- This category is fairly weak in my opinion. SoCom is a blast, especially if you can play online. Resident Evil 4 is also solid. The best of the 1st person shooters that I've seen is the Time Splitters series, although it has nothing on Halo.

Oh man Zoom, I didn't know there was a newer Twisted Metal game out. Now I have to go to Best Buy to get it this afternoon. I was addicted to the earlier versions.

Personally, I'm a sports nut, and somewhat racing nut. I have had all the madden games and NCAA football games that came out. But I am playing NBA 2k6 the most right now, playing the streetball 24/7 mode. I'm liking it alot. My girlfriend talked me into renting Kingdom Hearts a while ago, and I became addicted to that. Its a great game, even if its just Disney characters. Its a very good rpg game for PS2, and I've heard a newer version is coming out soon.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 04:22 PM)
Oh man Zoom, I didn't know there was a newer Twisted Metal game out. Now I have to go to Best Buy to get it this afternoon. I was addicted to the earlier versions.

It's been out for a while, so it should cost you $20 tops, probably less. It's definitely more satisfying than the somewhat sub-par 3rd and 4th versions and a little bit more like the first two. Just to warn you, it plays faster than the older ones and gets a bit tough. It took me a while to master. Very good game though. Enjoy, and thank me later. :P

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 03:22 PM)
My girlfriend talked me into renting Kingdom Hearts a while ago, and I became addicted to that. Its a great game, even if its just Disney characters. Its a very good rpg game for PS2, and I've heard a newer version is coming out soon.

My kids got it somehow (I think a friend gave it to them) and decided it was too difficult so they kept asking me to help them get through certain parts of it. I ended up starting my own save file and finished the entire game. The only thing part I haven't finished is beating that last guy in the tournament on the Hercules level.

I thought Kingdom Hearts 2 would be out by now but I haven't heard anything about it for quite awhile. It's supposed to pick up a year after the first one ended with Kingdom Hearts : Chain of Memories for GBA filling in the time in between.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 07:27 AM)
For some reason, the GTA thing looks cheesy to me.  But there's a lot of you that like it.

Its not cheesy...its f***ing fun. Since you are new to this, you have 3 games to play.

As for Metal Gear, I never got into those games. Don't really understand the love for them. Guess I'm missing out.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 07:27 AM)
For some reason, the GTA thing looks cheesy to me.  But there's a lot of you that like it.

I love the GTA franchise. I don't have the last one, but I have had almost all of the rest of them, and as long as you don't mind the obvious attention getting brutality, its kinda fun.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 06:27 AM)

It's not for everyone but it's really the first game that opened up huge a free-roaming city in GTA:Vice City. In San Andreas they expanded it to 3 entire cities plus some addition countryside. You can literally hop in a plane/jet/helicopter and spend 10 minutes flying from one edge of your boundary to the other.

The freedom in the game is really the best part about it and other games have been starting to copy the idea.