Sosa: Several teams interested for 2006

greasywheels121

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/base...a.ap/index.html

Sammy to Mets?

Sosa says he's negotiating with several teams

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP) -- Outfielder Sammy Sosa said he's talking with several teams interested in signing him for next season.

The Baltimore Orioles said last month they wouldn't bring back Sosa or fellow slugger Rafael Palmeiro, both of whom struggled this past season.

Sosa declined to say which teams he's talking to, but said he'll make an announcement about where he'll play sometime after the annual winter baseball meetings, which begin Monday.

"We're negotiating with several teams," Sosa said in comments published Sunday in the daily newspaper HOY, in his native Dominican Republic. "We're going to make it a surprise."

Some have speculated that Sosa could join the New York Mets, whose general manager, Omar Minaya, signed Sosa to his first professional contract in the 1980s when Minaya was a scout for the Texas Rangers.

"Sammy only needs an opportunity to play and show that he's recovered" from nagging injuries that hurt his play this year, Minaya was quoted as saying in the Sunday edition of El Nacional, another Dominican daily.

The 37-year-old Sosa came to the Orioles in a February trade with the Chicago Cubs for second baseman Jerry Hairston and two minor leaguers.

Sosa was expected to provide the Orioles with a powerful bat in the cleanup spot, but ended up hitting only .221 with 14 homers and 45 RBIs in 102 games during an injury-shortened season.

Sosa said he's confident of signing with another team and playing well.

"I'm at peace because I trust in what I've done in the past. I'm Sammy Sosa and everyone remembers it," Sosa was quoted as saying in HOY.

:lol:

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 03:40 AM)
Hey bash him all you want him and McGwire helped get people back into baseball and for that  :cheers

although dont want him on the southside  :bang

Anyone else not hold much stock in fans who were "brought back"..?

QUOTE(Steff @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 09:25 AM)
Anyone else not hold much stock in fans who were "brought back"..?

I dont. But I wont discount the interest that was brought to the game in that homerun race, it definitely created a "must-see" sort of atmosphere for the last two months of the season, which is pretty important for baseball in the end of the season. However, I also cannot discount that the same fans that could have been drawn in by the homerun race could have been turned away by the headlines caused by steroids. Like the old saying goes, "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 08:39 AM)
I dont.  But I wont discount the interest that was brought to the game in that homerun race, it definitely created a "must-see" sort of atmosphere for the last two months of the season, which is pretty important for baseball in the end of the season.  However,  I also cannot discount that the same fans that could have been drawn in by the homerun race could have been turned away by the headlines caused by steroids.  Like the old saying goes, "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."

Solid stance - and likely dead on for those who were "brought back".

I guess it's just hard for me since I never lost interest.. :huh

QUOTE(Steff @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 09:51 AM)
Solid stance - and likely dead on for those who were "brought back".

I guess it's just hard for me since I never lost interest..  :huh

I did. And I remember thinking that if there had been another strike/lockout a couple years ago, I wouldn't have come back.

sammy is the epitome of what is wrong in general with the media on a larger scale. I am reading a biography on Ted Williams, Jimmy Foox is next, and the media treatment of Williams seems to parallal that of Frank Thomas. Although Williams was much more vocal in his hatred for the media, the fact that the fans seemed to have a very different perspective of Williams than the media mirrors that of Thoams.

Then you have sammy sosa. The coverage of this guy was sickening the negative press was ignored while everything that Thomas did was focused in a more negative light. Imagine if sosa lost the MVP to an admitted steroid user. The media would have run with this. Now that sosa is in that same grouping he finally gets ignored.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 08:47 AM)
sammy is the epitome of what is wrong in general with the media on a larger scale.  I am reading a biography on Ted Williams, Jimmy Foox is next, and the media treatment of Williams seems to parallal that of Frank Thomas.  Although Williams was much more vocal in his hatred for the media, the fact that the fans seemed to have a very different perspective of Williams than the media mirrors that of Thoams. 

Then you have sammy sosa.  The coverage of this guy was sickening the negative press was ignored while everything that Thomas did was focused in a more negative light.  Imagine if sosa lost the MVP to an admitted steroid user.  The media would have run with this.  Now that sosa is in that same grouping he finally gets ignored.

I'm sure Sosa lost a couple of MVP's to Bonds.