Nintendo Revolution Specs

DonkeyKongerko

Awesome remote controller with tilt/pitch/yaw sensors and 3D pointing :headbang

128 MB RAM, No HDTV support, 512 MB Flash memory for game saves, "It's like a souped up XBox". :puke

With so little RAM and what's looking like status quo graphics, how is this system going to last five years? The only thing "revolutionary" will be the controller which will now officially make or break it. This is not going to be in the same gaming market as PS3/360/PC when everyone starts buying HDTV's. I guess this is what I've learned to be called a "differentiation marketing strategy."

IGN: Revolution Tech Details Emerge

That article looks like a smokescreen from Nintendo. They never like to release any info or specs on their systems before they are due to come out. I cannot imagine that Nintendo would put so much effort forth to create a new console only to give us a "souped up X-Box" and a new controller to play with.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 09:16 AM)
That article looks like a smokescreen from Nintendo.  They never like to release any info or specs on their systems before they are due to come out.  I cannot imagine that Nintendo would put so much effort forth to create a new console only to give us a "souped up X-Box" and a new controller to play with.

I hope you're right. But is there really a need to lower our expectations in order to blow us away later? I guess I just don't understand why they'd say anything at all.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 11:19 AM)
I have a feeling that this thing is going to be buried by the XBOX 360 and PS3...

Thats what they said about Gamecube, and that system did just fine. Nintendo still has a bigtime grip on the market in Japan, the US is sort of an afterthought. There will be plenty of people like me that are waiting for what Nintendo has to offer next.

I hope they come out with a Pikmin sequel when they launch the next console.

Is it possible that Nintendo may figure that Sony and MS are overbuilding their system to the point that enough people won't be able to afford the thing, and they've decided that if they produce a system that's an upgrade over the current X-Box but for a lower price than the 360 or the PS3 that they'll be able to find a new niche?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 10:38 AM)
Thats what they said about Gamecube, and that system did just fine.  Nintendo still has a bigtime grip on the market in Japan, the US is sort of an afterthought.  There will be plenty of people like me that are waiting for what Nintendo has to offer next. 

I hope they come out with a Pikmin sequel when they launch the next console.

Nintendo may have a good grip on the handheld market since they were the first to do it but they have always been behind Sony and Microsoft as far as consoles go.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 09:21 AM)
Nintendo may have a good grip on the handheld market since they were the first to do it but they have always been behind Sony and Microsoft as far as consoles go.

I think that the "Always" is a bit too strong of a word there. The Still-working Super Nintendo I have in my living room would be my evidence.

Sony and Microsoft have passed Nintendo in recent years.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 12:21 PM)

So in '85, Microsoft was ahead of Nintendo? :bang

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 11:47 AM)
So in '85, Microsoft was ahead of Nintendo?  :bang

OK, since Sony and Microsoft entered the market and Nintendo insisted on sticking with the cartridge-based N64. :finger

Then they screwed up even more when they made the GC use those tiny little discs while everyone else was watching DVD's on their XBOX and PS2.

I just don't see the Revolution changing the trend...

It still sounds like Nintendo never even considered putting a hard drive in the thing or adding more RAM than my 8-year old Dell came with.

They're also talking about memory expansion packs like that thing you could buy for the N64. I'm really not a fan of having to buy hardware upgrades for your system to run newer games.

Also, I've been playing console games for about 18 years with very similar variations on the same handheld controller theme. I think something of that will be missed out on by owners of the revolution unless they also release a Gamecube-like controller for it.

Memory has been confirmed as expandable. Kinda a pain though.

"While some of our competitors enjoy comparing specifications, it has little or nothing to do with how satisfied the consumers will be with the system and the games once they are released."

-marketing.

Edited by 3E8

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 04:14 PM)
I hope you're right. But is there really a need to lower our expectations in order to blow us away later? I guess I just don't understand why they'd say anything at all.

Then you don't understand Nintendo. They have to be top secret about everything, until they think the time is right.

e3 2006 is going to be huge for them. Nintendo is already hyping it up 165 days early, when usually the major copanies will take 2 weeks or so to prepare. They should reveal everything there, including the Revolutionary Part of the console.

It is pretty damn smart of them to totally underprice the market. The system's specs are purely pedestrian but I think they will get a lot of sales based on the price, plus you may see a lot of people pick it up as a secondary system because Nintendo tends to have some great multi-player games.

Hell, I still play the old school, super nintendo Mario Kart (that game freaking rocks).

That said I'll be grabbing an Xbox 360 or PS3 (regardless I'll be buying a PS3 to flip on ebay) when the College Baseball game comes out. If the PS3 is 500 bucks, well than it will make my decision of picking up a 360 really easy.

More Spec Information also being leaked out tonight:

Disks can store up to 8.5 GB's(GC held 1.5)

Memory in Rev totals 104 MB's

Double the clock rate of the CPU and GPU of the Gamecube and you have the Rev.

I have no idea what this means, but I guess the Rev is twice as powerful ad the Gamecube. Not bad at all...

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 08:08 PM)
More Spec Information also being leaked out tonight:

Disks can store up to  8.5 GB's(GC held 1.5)

Memory in Rev totals 104 MB's

Double the clock rate of the CPU and GPU of the Gamecube and you have the Rev.

I have no idea what this means, but I guess the Rev is twice as powerful ad the Gamecube. Not bad at all...

I thought they hadn't released GPU stats on the Rev yet. Oh well, regular DVD's hold between 4-9GB like the PS2, XBox and 360's always have. PS3's Blu-Ray discs will hold somewhere between 25-50GB (I don't know what they're gonna do with that space, maybe put a movie on there?).

Cool applet here lets you rotate and zoom in and out on a 3D model of the Revolution controller.

Also, some rumors are floating around about the lowercase 'a' and 'b' buttons. This site seems to think they will either share the 'x' and 'y' buttons or there will be some kind of touchpad on the bottom half of the controller. So more news will probably be released about it at some point.