Do you like the Marte trade?

AddisonStSox

Do you approve of the trading of Damaso Marte?  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of the trading of Damaso Marte?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've given up expecting Kenny to ever NOT overpay in a trade. Marte was heralded around the league as one of the best LH BP guys in the league. Electric stuff. We got a career .250ish hitter in return for him. That's not a fair trade by any stretch of the imagination.

But like all KW trades it fills a much needed hole on our team. Kenny's success no doubt stems from one of the richest farm systems in MLB. Don't tell me about the Cub or Atlanta. Kenny has filled major holes on this team in the past 3 yrs using that farm talent to do it.

So I don't care any more if KW overpays. He gets the players Sox fans want & the team needs. With Mak I think we can finally say sayonara to Timo.

The strength of the rotation means the Sox can start the season with 5 on

the bench. With Mak, Ozuna, Widger there are 2 spots open.

What we need:

1) Either a backup at 3B or a backup at SS. With Uribe's experience & arm strength he could become #2 on the depth chart at 3B. In that case a new #2 is needed at backup for SS.

Ideally a quality backup at 3B is what we want. Using Uribe is a plan of last resort.

2) A LH RP. Politte, Cotts, Hermy, Vizc, & Jenks are locks.

Ideally a new LH RP but El Duque to the pen is a plan of last resort.

3) A quality CF. No matter how you spin it both Anderson & Owens are ? marks at CF. Anderson did not show enough in 2005 to not be one.

Ideally a new speedy CFer but plan B could be a trade for Crawford that moves Pods to CF. Anderson/Owens would then compete for the final bench spot.

Pods, Crawford, Thome, Kong, Dye, Iguchi, AJ, Crede, Uribe. WOW!

Speed, Speed, Power, Power, Mix, Mix, Hits, Power, Mix.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 01:13 AM)
What we need:

1) Either a backup at 3B or a backup at SS.  With Uribe's experience & arm strength he could become #2 on the depth chart at 3B.  In that case a new #2 is needed at backup for SS. 

Ideally a quality backup at 3B is what we want.  Using Uribe is a plan of last resort.

You really confuse me at times Juggs, you explain the whole Mack deal and then you go on to say how we don't have a backup 3b.

I'll post in greater detail later, but short story short, I think we could have gotten more for Marte because good Lefty Relief Pitchers are at a premium, even though Mackowiak is a great fit for our utility needs, he is still an utility player. I would have liked to get at least a prospect back in the deal as well, but at least we've filled a need.

QUOTE(Hawkfan @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 05:07 PM)
marte is the s***... do any of you watch baseball.. at anytime other than september of 05?

wow, looks like someone just looked up marte's stats over the last few years and said, "whoa, an ERA under 3!"

Hawkfan, I understand you just jumped on board, and probably only watched the sox in september/october 05, but Marte has been a head case for the last two years, was in Ozzie's doghouse, and genuinely walked every damned batter he saw over the course of the last three monthts of the season... including the playoffs.

Now, welcome to being a Sox fan, but watch some games before you say "Marte is the s***," because he is not the s***. He is the un-s***.

Edited by Steve9347