What would you rather have?

GreatScott82

If both Frank and Thome are 100% healthy, what would you rather have?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. If both Frank and Thome are 100% healthy, what would you rather have?

• Frank Thomas w/ Aaron Rowand
    • Jim Thome w/ Brian Anderson

If I could have a healthy Frank Thomas...it'd be Frank and Arow without a doubt in my mind.

Personally though, I was hoping before we got Thome that Frank could maybe give us 250 at bats and BA could pick up the rest.

Just based entirely on the fact that I don't know if Frank will ever give a team 300 at bats again, or survive another season without that foot giving out (2 fractures within an inch of each other, can't operate on the 2nd because it's so close to the first? Yipes) I would have had to go with Thome.

But since this question asks about 100% healthy...that means Jesus has returned and waved his hand over Frank's foot, so I guess having the Son of God on your side can't hurt either.

QUOTE(Felix @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 11:31 AM)
Frank and Rowand without a doubt in my mind.

You are either sentimental about Frank's run here and Rowand's part in the championship, or you think Frank will be healthy for a full year (very unlikely). Before you point to Thome's injury last year, look at his career #'s - he is not injury prone like Frank.

I'll take our new thunder in the middle of the lineup without much of a loss in CF.

Thome & Anderson!

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 11:33 AM)
But since this question asks about 100% healthy...that means Jesus has returned and waved his hand over Frank's foot, so I guess having the Son of God on your side can't hurt either.

THAT'S a move I could go for.

As for the question, and for reality, I'll take what we have only because I think BA will eventually be better than Rowand and Thome has a better chance of being healthy than Thomas. Basically, I think KW did a good job replacing what he needed to.

QUOTE(NYSox35 @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 11:42 AM)
You are either sentimental about Frank's run here and Rowand's part in the championship, or you think Frank will be healthy for a full year (very unlikely).  Before you point to Thome's injury last year, look at his career #'s - he is not injury prone like Frank.

According to the poll, both players would be 100% healthy, which I took to mean not going to get hurt during the year.

QUOTE(Felix @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 04:50 PM)
According to the poll, both players would be 100% healthy, which I took to mean not going to get hurt during the year.

yep thats the question. If both Thome and Thomas go through the entire 2006 season with no injuries what would ou rather have.

The "100% healthy" statement doesn't make this even close to realistic. It would be better straight up in their current conditions and the current available information.

Also, what 100% healthy Frank are you talking about, the one from 1990-2000, or the one since 2000? Frank has meant so much to the Sox organization, but it is hard to justify keeping him around after looking at his numbers over the past 5 years due to injuries:

2001 - 21 games - .221 BA, 4 HRs

2002 - 148 games - .252 BA, 28 HRs

2003 - 153 games - .267 BA, 42 HRs

2004 - 74 games - .271 BA, 18 HRs

2005 - 34 games - .219 BA, 12 HRs

Only 2 years over 100 games played, and only one over 30 HRs.

Thome over the same period:

2001 - 156 games - .291, 49 HRs

2002 - 147 games - .304, 52 HRs

2003 - 159 games - .266, 47 HRs

2004 - 143 games - .274, 42 HRs

2005 - 59 games - .207, 7 HRs

5 years over 140 games played, and 4 seasons over 40 HRs.

Thome and Anderson.

I love the Frank Thomas of 1990-2000, but it is going to be 2006. I just don't see that Frank coming back. There are too many variables and things going against him. All he has to do is roll his ankle once and his career is over. That is like playing Russian roulette. It is not a matter of if but when.

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)
I love the Frank Thomas of 1990-2000, but it is going to be 2006.  I just don't see that Frank coming back.  There are too many variables and things going against him.  All he has to do is roll his ankle once and his career is over.  That is like playing Russian roulette.  It is not a matter of if but when.

And thats true, but thats not what this poll is asking.

Its asking, no matter how unrealistic it is, if Frank Thomas and Jim Thome were 100% healthy for the entire 2006 season, would you rather Frank and Aaron or Jim and Anderson?

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 12:13 PM)
Both healthy, probably Frank & Rowand simply because Thomas is a guy people still fear and indicated by his walk numbers, plus he strikes out less. A true #3 hitter in the sense.

Walks would be a bad argument for Thomas vs Thome.

Thomas Walks

1999 - 87

2000 - 112

2001 - 10

2002 - 88

2003 - 100

2004 - 64

2005 - 16

Thome Walks

1999 - 127

2000 - 118

2001 - 111

2002 - 122

2003 - 111

2004 - 104

2005 - 45

The only thing that Thomas beats Thome in is Ks. Thome strikeouts out a lot more, but he still has a lifetime OBP of over .400. That is pretty good considering his Ks.

QUOTE(Felix @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 12:13 PM)
And thats true, but thats not what this poll is asking.

Its asking, no matter how unrealistic it is, if Frank Thomas and Jim Thome were 100% healthy for the entire 2006 season, would you rather Frank and Aaron or Jim and Anderson?

Jim and Anderson.

If you read Frank's comments it's pretty clear he was not willing to accept a bench role. He was ready to move on when they got Thome. He was just upset that Kenny made public the issue of his health. Frank's shopping himself to get the best offer. He didn't need that coming from Kenny.

The Sox got Thome because at the time it looked like they would lose Kong. But when Kong came back & said I can't accept anything less than a 5 yr deal because everyone else is offering me that .. the Sox said welcome home.

So the rest is history. There's no point in debating it. We had to trade for Thome because we were going to lose Kong at the time. The rest of the cards fell into place after that.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 10:30 AM)
I would have to say Thome because of his left handed power and the potential of Brain Anderson. If he is as good as KW says he is- its going to be a fun season in 2006. It still doesn't take away the fact that both Thomas and Rowand will be missed.

Assuming everyone is healthy, I'd take Frank. He is better then Thome if healthy, IMHO. Also consider he has been with this team for 15 years, wants to retire here, and is cheaper then Thome.

But there are no gauarantees either guy will be healthy in 2006.

Bob

QUOTE(bulokis @ Dec 11, 2005 -> 12:02 AM)
Thome and Rowand. Just think if we are able to get Thome without giving Aaron. We still have the same lineup with a big LH bat in the middle.

In a perfect world that would happen. But in order to get something- you have to get something. We saw it with Garcia (losing Reed). But i'll take my chances with Anderson.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 07:58 PM)
In a perfect world that would happen. But in order to get something- you have to get something. We saw it with Garcia (losing Reed). But i'll take my chances with Anderson.

I love Frank and Aaron but we have to face the fact that even if Frank and jim were both 100% ..... We would not have worried about resigning Paulie. I don't think we would lose too much with a healthy THome at first base. Anyway the righty/lefty works. ALso, you pitch differently to a right handed hitter than to a lefty this is why Oakland with their left handed line up did so well against us. Last year with just Paulie they could pitch around paulie this won't happen with Konerko/ THome. As far as Anderson and ROwand if KW and Ozzie think Anderson is defensive minded enough knowing he has a better arm and if he can learn to be more patient at the plate this year I'm going with KW and Ozzie thoughts :cheers