Upgrading the Bullpen

SoxFan1

Obviously, the bullpen is running a buit thin now so KW is going to have to get someone to fill Viz/Marte/El Duque's position in the pen. Dotel sticks out in my mind. Alan Embree seems to be the only "decent" LH available. Hammond is there. Hasegawa is there. Danny Graves, Buddy Groom, Matt Herges, Steve Karsay, Kas Ishii, Matt Mantei, Braden Looper, Terry Mulholland, Ramior Mendoza, Jeff Nelson, Mike Stanton, and Kelly Wunsch are all available. But KW might keep it in thwe organization and bring uo Munoz or Baj or Diaz. Thoughts?

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 04:08 PM)
Obviously, the bullpen is running a buit thin now so KW is going to have to get someone to fill Viz/Marte/El Duque's position in the pen. Dotel sticks out in my mind. Alan Embree seems to be the only "decent" LH available. Hammond is there. Hasegawa is there. Danny Graves, Buddy Groom, Matt Herges, Steve Karsay, Kas Ishii, Matt Mantei, Braden Looper, Terry Mulholland, Ramior Mendoza, Jeff Nelson, Mike Stanton, and Kelly Wunsch are all available. But KW might keep it in thwe organization and bring uo Munoz or Baj or Diaz. Thoughts?

Assuming that Bmac stays up, he would just take vizcainos spot in the pen so i would say thats an upgrade right there, and Vazquez takes over the last starters spot. So we just need a replacement for marte.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 05:06 PM)
Baj's stuff doesn't seem to translate into major league stuff.

Duck and cover, bra.

Know what, Bajenaru might actually get his shot now. Unless some dynamo righty is being brought in, I see no reason as to why Bajenaru can't be considered the favorite for the righty/mop-up role.

Reserve your jersey now.

With our starting rotation, 11 pitchers is enough. My questions are: Hermanson's health status, will Garland be moved? If Hermanson will be healthy by Spring, and Garland isn't moving, bring up Baj and call it a day. Otherwise, it becomes increasingly complicated.

With our starting rotation, 11 pitchers is enough. 

Early indications say they'll carry 12. Several guys thru lots of innings last year, and that tournament complicates things. It is one reason they chased down a guy who could play multiple positions well (Mackowiak).

Personally I think they should carry 12, they need a mop up guy.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 11:09 PM)
Duck and cover, bra.

Know what, Bajenaru might actually get his shot now.  Unless some dynamo righty is being brought in, I see no reason as to why Bajenaru can't be considered the favorite for the righty/mop-up role.

Reserve your jersey now.

What's the over/under on length of the homer Hafner will hit against Baj in the first series of 2006? I never did like Vizcaino, but Baj would be a significant downgrade in the pen.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 05:23 PM)
What's the over/under on length of the homer Hafner will hit against Baj in the first series of 2006?  I never did like Vizcaino, but Baj would be a significant downgrade in the pen.

In-house. Won't cost you a thing. Mop-up.

Works for me. Unless, of course, a Garland trade or the like brings about a significant UPgrade.

There is just so much time left before ST. It's almost impossible to make any projection.

QUOTE(BurlyMan56 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 05:13 PM)
I personally would love to see Baj take Viz's spot in the pen. I think a lefty reliever has to be included in any deal if they trade Garland.

Garland is not going to be traded. The only way hes going to be traded is if they can't agree on a 1 year deal on go to arbitration, the sox dont want to pay $10 mil this year for him. I can see them argreeing to a $7 mil deal or so for this year. Thats not to say he doesn't get traded at the deadline if the sox can get good players in return for him.

What more likely is a trade of Harris or Gload + prospects for some available relievers like Batista (tor), Julio (O's), or Baez (rays).

QUOTE(joeynach @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 08:59 PM)
Garland is not going to be traded.  The only way hes going to be traded is if they can't agree on a 1 year deal on go to arbitration, the sox dont want to pay $10 mil this year for him.  I can see them argreeing to a $7 mil deal or so for this year.  Thats not to say he doesn't get traded at the deadline if the sox can get good players in return for him.

What more likely is a trade of Harris or Gload + prospects for some available relievers like Batista (tor), Julio (O's), or Baez (rays).

GM's are not high when making trades. Sorry....DENIED.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 05:23 PM)
What's the over/under on length of the homer Hafner will hit against Baj in the first series of 2006?  I never did like Vizcaino, but Baj would be a significant downgrade in the pen.

Just asking here, but why do you think Baj will fail?

I still believe that Jim Mecir is worth looking at for Vizcaino's spot.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5506

He's 35 but he had a good '05.

3.12 ERA, 1.29WHIP, 34 K in 43.1 IP

He pitches better to lefties than righties (.226 BA against vs LHB versus .263 vs RHB)

He has a screwball he throws which is dynamite.

His career ERA is under 4.00 which is fairly decent in this day and age.

Unfortunately, Mecir announced his retirement in early October due to shoulder and knee problems...

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/12796185.htm

Here's a list of available free agent relievers though...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/features/fre...il&positionId=0

Edited by SSH2005