USC:History in the Making...

SS Gload

This might supposed to be in the official college football thread, but let me go on my rant.

First off, USC's History in the Making is a part of sportscenter in which Mark May and Kirk Herbstreit debate whether 2005 USC can beat the top 11 teams of the last 50 years. Although this is a good concept, it does not work in my opinion. You cannot compare 2005 USC and 1969 Texas, its ridiculous. While SC's offense can be considered one of the greatest. May and Herbstreit proclaim Leinart and Co. as superhumans that cannot be stopped for less the 40 points. With the predictions Herby and May make, I don't believe USC will be 'beaten'. What do you guys think? Maybe I'm just steamed because they beat the 2002 buckeyes. :fight :chair

this year's usc team is a bit overrated as far as its all-time placement, but usc is still the best team in college football.

the only fair way to compare teams across generations is by how much they dominated their opponents at the time. this year, while usc has played well, they have had a hard time with a few opponents. my knowledge of college football only goes back around 15 years, but i'm willing to bet that there have been teams that have skated through the season by dominating ALL of their opponents, rather than just most of them. this usc offense is dominating, but there have been a lot of dominating offenses in the history of college football.

I think LSU very well may have beat them had they played in 2003.

I think Auburn very well may have beat them had they played in 2004.

I think Texas WILL beat them in Pasadena.

USC is very overrated, and I will stand by that even if they win it all in January. This run doesn't happen if they played in a real conference.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 06:38 PM)

USC is very overrated, and I will stand by that even if they win it all in January.  This run doesn't happen if they played in a real conference.

Who is good that is in their conference? Is UCLA and Fresno in it?

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 06:38 PM)

USC is very overrated, and I will stand by that even if they win it all in January.  This run doesn't happen if they played in a real conference.

I agree with everything but Texas beating them. USC got lucky and were able to duck some opponents.

It's amazing that they think they'll beat everyone in college sports. Um no. There defense isn't even top 10 in history. They would get stopped be teams inferior to the ones that are mentioned.

I hope Texas beats them. Herbstreit and that other jack will luck so f'n stupid after the s*** they've been proclaiming for the past couple of weeks.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 06:45 PM)
I agree with everything but Texas beating them. USC got lucky and were able to duck some opponents.

It's amazing that they think they'll beat everyone in college sports. Um no. There defense isn't even top 10 in history. They would get stopped be teams inferior to the ones that are mentioned.

I hope Texas beats them. Herbstreit and that other jack will luck so f'n stupid after the s*** they've been proclaiming for the past couple of weeks.

Maybe it's more hope in regards to Texas, but I firmly believe what I said about LSU in 2003 and Auburn in 2004. All I know is that Miami, like USC, headed into the title game (in 2002) with a 34 game winning streak and as defending champs (albeit only 1 time because they got screwed in 2000, else they'd have also been going for 3 in a row) and they didn't get NEARLY this kind of hype. And Miami had to play WAY WAY WAY better competition during their streak than USC has played during theirs.

Maybe ESPN and their hype for ratings nonsense has just gotten that much worse the last few years, or maybe they are just showing their USC woody to try and drew viewers from the huge SoCal market, who knows.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 06:51 PM)
Maybe it's more hope in regards to Texas, but I firmly believe what I said about LSU in 2003 and Auburn in 2004.  All I know is that Miami, like USC, headed into the title game (in 2002) with a 34 game winning streak and as defending champs (albeit only 1 time because they got screwed in 2000, else they'd have also been going for 3 in a row) and they didn't get NEARLY this kind of hype.  And Miami had to play WAY WAY WAY better competition during their streak than USC has played during theirs.

Maybe ESPN and their hype for ratings nonsense has just gotten that much worse the last few years, or maybe they are just showing their USC woody to try and drew viewers from the huge SoCal market, who knows.

I agree with that. Miami had a way tougher road. USC = overrated.