Can Tejada be a reality?

rangercal

QUOTE(Felix @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 12:06 PM)
I think its mainly the lack of pitching depth.  Our strength is the pitcher.  We tried having a team based around power for years, and it didn't work out.  Now, with a team based around pitching, defense, and the timely hit, we won a World Series.  Pitching depth in this league is very valuable in this league.. I'd rather hold onto it.

Okay, maybe I'd buy into that if our fifth starter would be Scott Schowenwiess. But it's going to be Brandon McCarthy. And if we all assume Contreras will continue his second half/playoff success, why can't we do the same for McCarthy?

If he can maintain anywhere near his effectiveness he showed last year, we still will have one of the best staff's in baseball, coupled with a seriously dangerous offense.

If this trade went through, and personally, I doubt its going to happen, this team is better - hands down.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(heirdog @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 12:58 PM)
Andy the Clown,

Thanks for the info to get things stirring on the board.  One question not related to the Tejada discussion:  In you sig, you say you have "waited 37 years for this" (so I assume you are at least 37 years old) and then you say "if the Bears make the Superbowl..."  So weren't you around in 1985-86 when the Bears not only made but won the Superbowl?

Thank you.

As to my Bears sig, I meant that two Chicago teams winning in the same year.

I was around and actually was lucky enough to go to the game. It was an incredible experience.

QUOTE(heirdog @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 01:12 PM)
Umm, no.  But the sig says:  "If the Bears make the Super Bowl, I will have seen it all."  So in essence the quote can be interpretted that he has not seen the Bears make the Super Bowl and would like to see that before he is done either with life or with sports.  In reality, he has to have seen it all but would like to see MORE.

Hope that clears up what I was asking...as it seemed pretty clear to me when I asked.

I'd consider seeing the White Sox winning the World Series AND the Bears winning the Super Bowl in the same year to be pretty unthinkable if you ask me.

QUOTE(Damen @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)
Okay, maybe I'd buy into that if our fifth starter would be Scott Schowenwiess.  But it's going to be Brandon McCarthy.  And if we all assume Contreras will continue his second half/playoff success, why can't we do the same for McCarthy?

If he can maintain anywhere near his effectiveness he showed last year, we still will have one of the best staff's in baseball, coupled with a seriously dangerous offense.

If this trade went through, and personally, I doubt its going to happen, this team is better - hands down.

But we are built around the little things and as you have seen this past season pitching is the s***, why get rid of it to become mediocre again. Just because their is one potential stud waiting for a shot at the rotation doesn't mean we should try to get rif of the count now.

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 09:59 AM)
That was unbelieveable, only about 4 guys went to the DL. (el duque, pods, frank, gload, im not sure if that is it but i think it is)

Marte also hit the DL for a stretch.

Also...it's not really that unbelievable for your team to stay that healthy...if you're mostly working with a young team, and you're not overworking people (i.e. Ozzie's "Sunday Lineup" which gave people a chance to sit down, rest, and avoid turning any little tweaks into nagging injuries)

QUOTE(Damen @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 01:12 PM)
Okay, maybe I'd buy into that if our fifth starter would be Scott Schowenwiess.  But it's going to be Brandon McCarthy.  And if we all assume Contreras will continue his second half/playoff success, why can't we do the same for McCarthy?

And if anyone gets hurt? And what about our bullpen?

Our former, hitting first team, along with the Texas Rangers (although not really, because of their stats on the road), are great examples on why hitting doesn't win championships. Pitching is the most valuable thing a team can have nowadays, and we have it. Lets not get rid of it (although I do think that Garland should be dealt for some prospects/bullpen help)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 01:15 PM)

Also...it's not really that unbelievable for your team to stay that healthy...if you're mostly working with a young team, and you're not overworking people (i.e. Ozzie's "Sunday Lineup" which gave people a chance to sit down, rest, and avoid turning any little tweaks into nagging injuries)

Position players don't scare me. I'm talking about the rotation. If we lose the security of having that 6th starter, who's going to be the guy to fill-in if an injury were to happen to Garcia, Vazquez etc?

Count's too valuable for this team, IMO.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 12:15 PM)

We don't have any injury prone players on our team, however freak injuries happen all the time and especially to pitchers. It's unrealistic to expect all of them to be healthy all year without a few little tweaks here or there.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)
All Damen has to do is look back at the years 2004-2001 to see this point.

Man...I register to make a post about attendance...an hour later I've gotten no work done and am in argument with everyone on the board.

And again, I see this as a largely meaningless discussion considering the outside chance this happens, but please tell me you honestly don't believe that our lineup w/Tejada and w/o Contreras & Uribe is like 01-04.

It's not even close. We still have a solid 1-5 pitching staff. Our defense would still be vastly better than what it was in the early part of this decade.

We didn't lose in 01-04 because our offense was too good, it was because our defense and pitching was bad.

QUOTE(Damen @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 01:18 PM)
It's not even close.  We still have a solid 1-5 pitching staff.  Our defense would still be vastly better than what it was in the early part of this decade. 

And again, since this has been asked at least 3 or 4 times, what happens if one guy gets hurt? We don't have anyone in our minors to take their place.

QUOTE(Felix @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 12:21 PM)
And again, since this has been asked at least 3 or 4 times, what happens if one guy gets hurt?  We don't have anyone in our minors to take their place.

It's a risk I'm willing to take. I think Bajenaru should be ready to enter the majors this year in the pen, and if there's an injury to the SP, you could always move Cotts into the rotation for a few spot starts.

And, again, you are increasing the offense the team will be able to generate. We aren't just losing Contreras, we are gaining an elite SS - both at the plate and in the field.

QUOTE(Felix @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 10:21 AM)
And again, since this has been asked at least 3 or 4 times, what happens if one guy gets hurt?  We don't have anyone in our minors to take their place.

A valid point, but it should be weighed against another point...what happens if we lose Contreras for only draft picks at the end of the year, when we could get something immensely more valuable for him right now while we do have him?

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 01:29 PM)
On the depth issue, yes it's a concern but I'm confident they will invite a few guys in who'd be capable of pitching a start or two or three.

Thank you.

How soon till we see the posts advocating 7 capable starters?

And one more point, even if we do see a SP injury and Felix Diaz has to embarrass himself for a few games, I still don't see this team having any problem getting into the playoffs. Our team is better than last year, the indians and twins don't appear to have improved much and may have gotten worse.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 01:27 PM)
A valid point, but it should be weighed against another point...what happens if we lose Contreras for only draft picks at the end of the year, when we could get something immensely more valuable for him right now while we do have him?

I'd rather worry about that then. I feel we're in a great position to repeat with the 6 starters we do have. We have absolutely nobody that can fill in.

I would think any deal for the Sox and Tejada would have to include B-mac. Not sure how I would feel about that, but it makes the most sense.

If Levine is to be believed in this case, the O's rejected Prior/Hill and Patterson. IMO at this point, the Cubs offer would be better than Contreras and Uribe. So why would the O's accept that. I see the O's only being interested in MB/Freddy/JG or B-mac. It seems KW would never trade MB, Freddy would be a difficult sell to Ozzie and JG now has a 1 year no-trade clause. That leaves B-Mac.

I don't know about the White Sox possibly getting Tejada. I didn't like the Cubs offer for him from the Cubs side. I know on paper it seems to favor the Cubs, but how can you trade pitching potential like Prior? I know he's been injured, but look at the past world series winners, driven by pitching, and while you can't count on Prior I see them having no chance at going very deep in the playoffs without him, either through injury or trade.

Same with the Sox. Tejada is a top tier player, but I've said before I wouldn't mind KW walking into ST with 6 starters due to injury potential.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 01:13 PM)
I'd consider seeing the White Sox winning the World Series AND the Bears winning the Super Bowl in the same year to be pretty unthinkable if you ask me.

Hell 9 months ago I thought the Sox winning the World Series was pretty unthinkable... All bets are off now. :)