Battle of Champions

rcpweiner

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)
Has anyone ever fouled off NINE consecutive pitches before? I just found that tidbit hilarious:

Remember when Alex Cora fouled off like 18 pitches(no joke, I know he passed 14 pitches at least) against Matt Clement 2 years ago, before he finally hit a homerun?

But to say Juan Uribe did it, against a league that is well known for their junk-ball pitchers, thats just laughable.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 11:04 AM)
Remember when Alex Cora fouled off like 18 pitches(no joke, I know he passed 14 pitches at least) against Matt Clement 2 years ago, before he finally hit a homerun? 

But to say Juan Uribe did it, against a league that is well known for their junk-ball pitchers, thats just laughable.

Cora fouled off 14 consecutive pitches in an 18-pitch at-bat, resulting in a HR. The fact that it was against the Cubs makes it classic.

This is something that the baseball prospectus people should enter in on their formula.

Remember first baseman Julio Zuleta, who appeared briefly with the Cubs in 2000 and '01 and went to spring training with the Red Sox in '03? He has hit a combined 80 homers the past two seasons in Japan, and major-league teams are again expressing interest in him, even though he is under contract for one more season with the Fukuoka Daiei Hawks and considering an extension. Zuleta, who turns 31 on March 28, finished second in the Pacific League in all three Triple Crown categories last season.

Julio Zuleta is a triple crown threat in Japan. End of simulation.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 02:18 PM)
Cora fouled off 14 consecutive pitches in an 18-pitch at-bat, resulting in a HR.  The fact that it was against the Cubs makes it classic.

I just watched that on MLB.tv after it was mentioned. Stoney was cracking me up during the whole thing. Everything he said during that AB should have been in green.

The White Sox put the series away today 5-2 behind an 8 inning, 5 hit, 2 run performance from Jose Contreras. The Sox lost only two games all postseason, as the Marines and Angels were the only teams able to take a game from the Sox.

Carl Everett finished the last two games an astouding 8-8, proving that even an old dinosaur can learn new tricks.