Battle of Champions

rcpweiner

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 05:59 PM)
Players from Japan are better at the fundamentals and could probably beat a team like the Yankees who aren't very fundamentally sound.  If you guys really think the Sox would into Japan and crush them you are high.  You aren't giving Japan enough credit.

Consider the fact that the White Sox roster is filled with players from around the world. Then consider that the Japan league is filled with players only from Japan (maybe not, but judging from the names on their roster, there's nobody from the Dominican on that team). The White Sox might not pound them, as baseball can be a funny game, but you'd almost certainly see the difference in talent between the MLB and the Japan league.

Furthremore, when Valentin says the middle of the order power they lack doesn't win series, you can't help but thinking of all those hangers Konerko jacked out of the yard to help the Sox go the distance. Ultimately pitching wins, but you need to score runs first. The Sox middle of the order power did that.

Sure it's an interesting article and the computer will likely give Japan a few games just so Bobby V can say, "I told you so" or challenge the Sox even further, but if you know Bobby V correctly, he's just aiming for another shot in the big leagues.

Major League Baseball doesn't consider themselves the best because they play mostly in the United States. They consider themselves the best because they recruit players from around the world. Hell, even the White Sox have a player from Japan on their team.

Sorry Bobby V, but I don't think the best Japan team would pose a threat to a team in a league that searches the entire world for the best talent.

Yes, and in Game 2, I predict MB getting rocked and pitching less than 2 innings and the Cafe Lotte Mariners beat the White Sox 19-2. The 2 White Sox runs coming from Tadahito Iguchi, who hit a line drive off Benny Agbayani's head, propelling it into the stands scoring Scott Podsednik, who also ironically, got HBP....in the head.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 07:31 PM)
holy schnikies!  10-1?!?!?!  Is Bobby Valentine creating this scenario himself?

What a load of crap. The Sox gave up 9 runs in 3 games to BOSTON and 10 runs in 5 games to ANAHEIM, and we are supposed to believe a team with Bennie Agabayani is going to score 10 runs in one game against one of the two best pitchers in the AL in the second half? Please.

will someone write them and tell them how rediculous this is? this is a huge smack in the face to the MLB and the WHite Sox. If they can honestly claim the Cafe Raisians have a better offense than like said the Red Sawks or Angels, they are retarded and should not consider being rehired for a baseball writers position. Not only do they say the Sox lose, at home, but they lose 10-1, with the marines best hitter, a washed up utility player, goes 0-4. the whole MLB basically couldn't hit Contreras, but the 2nd to 9th best hitters on this japanese team can? f***in wow.

QUOTE(rowand's rowdies @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 01:30 AM)
will someone write them and tell them how rediculous this is? this is a huge smack in the face to the MLB and the WHite Sox. If they can honestly claim the Cafe Raisians have a better offense than like said the Red Sawks or Angels, they are retarded and should not consider being rehired for a baseball writers position. Not only do they say the Sox lose, at home, but they lose 10-1, with the marines best hitter, a washed up utility player, goes 0-4. the whole MLB basically couldn't hit Contreras, but the 2nd to 9th best hitters on this japanese team can? f***in wow.

I bet if they put the same numbers together and ran the simulation against the red sox and the angels.

We get swept by the red sox by scores of 27-1, 18-2, 14-4. We never see the angels. The redsox beat the crap out of them, and oh glory the RED SAWX are CHAMPS AGAIN.

Thank you Bill James and the tards who wrote that crappy software.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 10:31 AM)
what bull.. that article really pisses me off.....there is a reason iguchi hit .340 with 25+ bombs over there and .270 15 here.

Egg-zaactly. We take a few of their BEST players and they are good over here. What do you think their scrubs hitting in the bottom of the order would do? This is like us losing to Charlotte.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 02:23 AM)
I am not saying Matt Franco is better than any Sox hitter except Konerko however you aren't giving Japan the credit they deserve.

How about the American players that go over and dominated Japan. They are over there because they couldnt make it as BENCH players in the MLB. Yours posts are getting more and more off the wall.

Relax guys. Any of us that play sports games knows that retard crap that makes no sense happens all the time when you try to do computer simulations. You simply can't accuractely reproduce real game situations. I know whenever I'm playing NCAA Football all kinds of stupid upsets happen. NU seems to beat Michigan 2 times out of 3 and Ohio State about half the time, often times by two touchdowns. Temple beats LSU. Baylor beats Texas. Computer simulations of sporting events rarely makes sense.

We all know that a Japanese team gets 2 games from us tops, and that's if they get some great pitching performances and some timely hits. Who really gives a damn what some schmucks at some website come up with as a simulation for a hypothetical series?

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 07:59 PM)
Players from Japan are better at the fundamentals and could probably beat a team like the Yankees who aren't very fundamentally sound.  If you guys really think the Sox would into Japan and crush them you are high.  You aren't giving Japan enough credit.

WNBA players are better at fundamentals than NBA players...that doesn't mean that the San Antonio Spurs would not destroy the Sacramento Monarchs.

The person that is high is the person that thinks fundamentals alone will allow you to overcome talent. The Whitesox may have won some games with fundamental "small" ball but the talented pitching and the defensive talents of several players was the main reason. The Yankees and the majority of the MLB teams would beat the Japanese champions or rather the cast-off Mets (Franco, Agbayani, Valentine???) and it wouldn't be close.

Good news. We squeak by with a win in game 2. What a f***ing joke this simulation is.

White Sox win 5-4

Something tells me the Japanese factor is overdramatized in this simulation.

Gooch hits a grand slam in the 9th to walk off for the win.. We were down 4-1 going into the bottom of the ninth.

Buerhle then Hermanson? Hermanson wouldnt be our first option in a 3-1 game in the 9th. It would be Cliffy or Cotts.

Aso 2 steals with Buerhle pitching.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 01:44 PM)
Gooch hits a GW Grand Slam to save the Sox from going DOWN 0-2 to this joke of a team?  :puke

After reading this assessment, Bobby Valentine released a statement:

Kobayashi would not have thrown a grand slam to Iguchi.  Kobayashi in fact throws 5 MPH harder than Bobby Jenks, his curve runs in the 60 MPH range, and he has better control.  According to my own calculations, we would sweep them and Matt Franco would be our MVP, with Benny Agbayani a close second.

:lol:

A big :finger to those of you that thought Timo wasn't clutch.

I get the feeling a Sox fan or sane person at BP got to the 9th inning and realized there was no way Chiba Lotte would win 2 in a row at the Cell. So they figured they'd let Iguchi hit the GWHR just to please the Japanese folk.

Just look at it this way guys. It is a situation in which Japan has absolutely nothing to lose. If they play us and they do lose to us, then hey, so what, they weren't supposed to win. However, if they play us and win, they have a big I told you so, and they can claim to be the real champions of the world. MLB has nothing to gain by playing a lesser opponent and everything to lose.