Recruiting Thread

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 03:18 PM)
i don't know. rutgers is very, very strong academically. equal to or better than ui (and considering i hold a ui degree that is not easy to say).

of course, a lot of times it isn't so much the overall academic situation at a school as it is the amount of "at-risk" kids a program can take in a given year.

this is part of the reason cumberland ended up at illinois over osu. osu was at its limit of at-risk kids, so cumberland committed to ui, which is a better academic school.

Rutgers has a known recent history of snagging at risk academic kids (particularly from Florida) and getting them qualified. Just a thought, even though Britt is a local NJ kid for them.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so far today illinois has received these national letters of intent: isaiah williams, chris james, chris duvalt, joe morgan, anterio jackson, jon asamoah, eddie mcgee, antonio james, garrett edwards, ryan palmer and jeff cumberland.

kenny britt has sent his letter to neither illinois nor rutgers so far.

vontae davis to illinois, per washington post chat:

Silver Spring, Md.: Any News on Vontae Davis from Dunbar's decision? There are a ton of Illinois and Michigan State people wanting to know his choice.

Josh Barr: Well, Vontae signed his LOI with Illinois, Dunbar Coach Craig Jefferies says, adding that WR Arrelious Benn just got offered by Southern Cal.

Vontae just sent his LOI, making it 20 for the day. I assume that's everybody we expected. Based on the LOI numbers plus early enrollees and transfers, we should have gotten 21 LOI's today, but that numbers goes down to 20 since Kevan Hagens from Wisconsin isn't signing today since he isn't qualfied and is headed to prep school. However, if this is it for LOI's, it would mean no Britt :(. Although, Britt also isn't confirmed to have signed with Rutgers yet either.

Apparently my math was wrong, haha. The blog on the official Illini site says they expect 1 more LOI today, and rumor has it that last hold out is Antonio Gully of St. Louis.

EDIT: Wrong again haha. The last LOI was from Jeff Cumberland, so now the press release about all the recruits should come out from the University pretty soon. Can't wait to see it!

Edited by whitesoxfan101

http://fightingillini.collegesports.com/sp...html#Millington

Illini class of 2006, includes bio, photo, and video of all incoming players (including Millington). This is easily the best class I've ever seen an Illinois football team bring in, let's hope we utilize it well on the field, and many of them should get a chance to play right away.

Also interesting is the fact that Rahkeem Smith and Jeff Cumberland both turned down late offers from USC, and apparently Isiah Williams had major interest and got an offer from Texas after Vince went pro.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 04:57 PM)
Also interesting is the fact that Rahkeem Smith and Jeff Cumberland both turned down late offers from USC, and apparently Isiah Williams had major interest and got an offer from Texas after Vince went pro.

Heard that too.

Wow. :o

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 04:58 PM)
Kansas got a top 40 class. 

They are ranked 38 by Rivals, and 36 by ESPN.

Also, they got the first 4 star recruit, probably since Gale Sayers.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, Kansas brought in a pair of 4 stars in 2005 and 2003, and 1 in 2002. Fat man Mangino puts together a class ranking 35 to 40 nationally every year, and does a very nice job IMO. Kansas will never be a football powerhouse, but you guys seem to improve every year, and are getting to that point where you can compete at a level where a bowl game is possible every year.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 05:00 PM)
Heard that too.

Wow. :o

Not surprising, there had been rumors about Juice talking about forever since he commited SO early, and Texas is VERY VERY thin at QB. Juice is a great guy though, he turned down so many great schools to try and bring Illinois back to respectabilty.

I'm so lame, I've been sitting here since 3:30 watching the coaches talk about the players on fightingillini.com. Oh, and my sig >>> your avatar.

:)