Recruiting Thread

I remember when Iowa had Hamga, Tyler Smith, and a very good chance at Negedu.

We now have a guy that looks to be a good coach but god we've had no major recruiting coupes and look to be a team that will battle NU and PSU for last in the Big 10.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 13, 2007 -> 11:53 AM)
I remember when Iowa had Hamga, Tyler Smith, and a very good chance at Negedu.

We now have a guy that looks to be a good coach but god we've had no major recruiting coupes and look to be a team that will battle NU and PSU for last in the Big 10.

Time to hang a new banner?

http://www.chicagohoops.com/articles1/fruendtnw.html

That's a GREAT get for Northwestern, Fruendt is a really good ballplayer, impressive to see in person. I also believe he's a 150 player on Rivals, first time I can remember Northwestern getting one of those since uber bust Michael Thompson transferred in from Duke. They also had a nice 2007 class and got a verbal a couple of days ago from a 2008 guy. Carmody FINALLY getting some players, they already have Coble who I really like and Nash is at least a highly regarded kid.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 13, 2007 -> 08:49 PM)

That's a GREAT get for Northwestern, Fruendt is a really good ballplayer, impressive to see in person. I also believe he's a 150 player on Rivals, first time I can remember Northwestern getting one of those since uber bust Michael Thompson transferred in from Duke. They also had a nice 2007 class and got a verbal a couple of days ago from a 2008 guy. Carmody FINALLY getting some players, they already have Coble who I really like and Nash is at least a highly regarded kid.

agreed. fruendt is a very nice player and he coble and nash give them some good, young talent. apparently they also got a guard from glenbard west on friday.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 13, 2007 -> 04:49 PM)

Solid pickup indeed.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 12, 2007 -> 11:16 AM)
Angel Garcia has a top 3: IU, Florida and Memphis. No mention of Depaul and Louisville appears to be no higher than 4th.

Not surprising that DePaul is no longer mentioned after those bigger schools have come on strong.

Oh well. Time to sign Teeng Akol.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 13, 2007 -> 03:49 PM)

That's a GREAT get for Northwestern, Fruendt is a really good ballplayer, impressive to see in person. I also believe he's a 150 player on Rivals, first time I can remember Northwestern getting one of those since uber bust Michael Thompson transferred in from Duke.

DePaul was after him hard, making him a prime target, even though he wasn't reciprocating the interest and seemed to be waiting for a bigger school to come about (like wisconsin). So northwestern is very surprising. Unfortunate that so much time was spent recruiting him as many DePaul fans did not like that he did not seem interested, but at least he isn't an elite player, and hopefully Coach Wainwright can get another solid guy.

Jai lucas to Florida, Sanchez to Arkansas, and Patrick Patterson rumors are he will follow Lucus to Florida (Duke & Kentucky still possible). If he spurns Kentucky as well then Billy Gillespe shot a blank in his late recruitments of the remaining names this year.

Surprising it happened this late in this process, his dad was definitely the one with the final say on that. From what I understand and saw, Shaw really wanted to stay. Best of luck Joey.

And with all the recruits we're talking to with the 2008 class, I really hope we just keep his scholarship in our pocket for next year.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 16, 2007 -> 09:10 AM)
And with all the recruits we're talking to with the 2008 class, I really hope we just keep his scholarship in our pocket for next year.

Agree totally, this now gives us 3 available scholly's for the 2008 class in addition to Jones and Mackey. Could be more if EJ goes pro early. Anyhow, here is how I see the scholarships being prioritized for the '08 class.

Top priorities for the 3:

1. Devin Ebanks

2. Angel Garcia

3. Tyler Zeller (I'm not really sold on him)

Tier 2:

Michael Dunigan, Stan Simpson, Dashan Harris, Lewis Jackson, Kevin Jones, Draymond Green.

Low level priority but we may have interest:

Jason Washburn, Miles Plumlee, Kyle Kuric

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 16, 2007 -> 01:32 PM)
I'm not sold on Zeller either, and I can't see him going anywhere but Purdue.

I'd be happy with a swap of Dunigan's and Zeller's spots on your list.

I don't particularly want Zeller, but I've heard IU interest is high and they really want him. I'd be more happy with Dunigan or Simpson. Both are better equipped for the grind it out style of the Big 10. I think if we land Ebanks, we're out of it for Green and Jones. I'd definitely take either Harris or Jackson, but we'll probably have Armon for 4 years and Gordon, Ellis, Crawford, Mackey (2008-2009) and Jones (2008-2009) should be able to play some point. Don't see a huge need for a point so I think that's why those guys are less of a priority.

The loss of Shaw is not a big one. While I liked some of what I saw in him, there was no room for him this year. Ratliff and Gordon will eat up whatever minutes Shaw might have. Even if EJ leaves after one year, with Mackey and Eshuante Jones coming in, I don't see him getting much time then. Basically, they recruited right over the top of him.

You guys are right on with IU's targets and the idea of holding Shaw's scholly for next year. Kevin Jones is interesting to me, but as has been said, we have to be careful not to get too many players at the same position. Can't have a team of all 2's and 3's.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 16, 2007 -> 12:30 PM)
Agree totally, this now gives us 3 available scholly's for the 2008 class in addition to Jones and Mackey. Could be more if EJ goes pro early. Anyhow, here is how I see the scholarships being prioritized for the '08 class.

Top priorities for the 3:

1. Devin Ebanks

2. Angel Garcia

3. Tyler Zeller (I'm not really sold on him)

Tier 2:

Michael Dunigan, Stan Simpson, Dashan Harris, Lewis Jackson, Kevin Jones, Draymond Green.

Low level priority but we may have interest:

Jason Washburn, Miles Plumlee, Kyle Kuric

Again do not count on Angel being in the class of 2008. IU is in great shape for him, but it would almost be a miracle at this point for him to be college eligible for the '08 class.

Edited by JuiceCruz16

Sam McGuffie still talking about Iowa State

The 6-foot-0, 190-pound McGuffie sees a lot of potential at Iowa State with head coach Gene Chizik behind the wheel of the Cyclones heading into the 2007 season. Chizik is a big reason why McGuffie has Iowa State high on his list.

"He knows what he is doing," said McGuffie. "He's a great coach, very accomplished and if he wants to get something done, he's going to do it. He tells people he's going to shock the world and he just might do it. There's no doubting what he can do."

Throughout the recruiting process, McGuffie has started to develop a strong relationship with the Iowa State staff and believes in what they are putting together in Ames. He sees himself as someone who could be a big piece to that puzzle.

"I like Coach Chiz, Coach [Jay] Rodgers – everybody's cool up there," McGuffie said. "They are going to try and run the ball and they said they need a guy that can come in and get things rolling on the offensive side of the ball and make things happen so they can get Iowa State football to where it should be and where it could be."

McGuffie plans a summer visit to Iowa State before making a decision that he hopes can get done before the end of the summer. Having connections at the school also looks like it could pay off for the Cyclones.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 18, 2007 -> 06:35 PM)
Rumblings on the MSU scout board that Dar Tucker is trying to get out of his LOI with Depaul:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=175#S=175&a...01&T=525244

Any word on why he wants out? I tried to read, but no clear reason why, just subtle hints. Any chance of him going to Illinois? They sure could use him in the worst of ways.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 18, 2007 -> 09:49 PM)
Any word on why he wants out? I tried to read, but no clear reason why, just subtle hints. Any chance of him going to Illinois? They sure could use him in the worst of ways.

From what I read into it, his handlers had a lot to do with him ending up at Depaul. In other words, he didn't really have as big a part in the decision as he would have liked, perhaps in retrospect as he looks at it. He really wanted to go to Michigan St initially from what I understand, but he was encouraged to let the recruitment play out. MSU then took Lucas, Summers and Allen and the spot for Tucker was gone. It doesn't sound like he is too thrilled to go to Depaul and I believe one of Depaul's guys he was looking forward to playing with is going to the NBA. If I remember correctly there were rumors back in the fall (before he signed his LOI) that he was going to back out of his Depaul commitment, but nothing ever materialized. According to this forum, it sounds like he may indeed ask for his release, who knows.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 18, 2007 -> 09:51 PM)
If I remember correctly there were rumors back in the fall (before he signed his LOI) that he was going to back out of his Depaul commitment, but nothing ever materialized. According to this forum, it sounds like he may indeed ask for his release, who knows.

Yes, there were definitely rumors of him backing out of his LOI, but then he himself came out in an interview and reiterated that he wanted to come to DePaul, quelled those rumors, and signed. And before that there were silly rumors started on some michigan sports message board that his recruitment was dirty with someone claiming that they had information they were going to reveal yet nothing came of that either. But that's all it's been, bulls*** rumors.

I haven't heard anything of it so I'm going to take a wait-and-see approach and not worry about it. It is disconcerting to have to hear these types of rumors, always coming from other schools' boards, for the few DePaul faithful, and it would make my summer even crappier after Wilson Chandler leaving if it comes true, so hopefully all will be well and it's another garbage rumor.

And as for the speculation that it's because Wilson Chandler is entering the draft, he would have been gone after next year, which would have been the much smarter thing to do, anyways. I would hope that wouldn't be his reason for wanting to back out.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 18, 2007 -> 11:45 PM)
Another piece of proof that the most pathetic in the long line of Bruce Weber recruiting gaffes is not getting Dar after MSU got all their verbals. He was almost begging to go to Illinois and still didn't end up there.

Uh, not how I heard it...

Have to give Coach Wainwright credit where it's due for outrecruiting very good programs for both Mac Koshwal and Dar Tucker. I'm excited about our top 10 class coming in (well, now, hopefully).

Changing to football, Michigan picked up two commitments this week. After starting somewhat slowly this recruiting season (or at least slowly behind ND's rocket pace), Michigan now has five commitments including three from Rivals pre-season Top 100.

The latest commitments were Kurt Wermers, an OL from Crown Point and Top 100 TE Brandon Moore a 6'6 beast from Trotwood OH.

So far three of Michigan's recruits are OL, which is by far their greatest need in this class.