Recruiting Thread

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 11:34 PM)
I'm so stoked about him, can't wait to see a real QB in the orange & blue.

^

He's exactly the type of quarterback that will flourish in zook's system. He is the future of the program, I'm very excited :cheers

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rex, it wasn't specifically about those comments, I was just stating in general that Lemming is a big ND fan. But more to the point, Lemming has stated several times that Mustain is ND's to lose, it almost seems that he believes ND is too good to offer the national player of the year because of previous commitments. Whenever a player of Mustain's caliber wants to come, there's going to be room, no matter who's feelings get hurt. I also think its a very bad idea to not get atleast a QB in each class to build depth.

The A-A game was enjoyable, there was a few suprises with commitments, and Chris Wells really played well for the East and OSU. His lead blocker most of the game Jerrell Miller, one of the top LB's in the nation also, committed to UNC, so it was enjoyable for me also. But take a look at the updated rankings for classes, which Scout was updating after each commit, specifically look at USC, they are absurd again.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&yr=2006

Jai Eugene Joins Michigan Family

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The GoBlueWolverine Staff

GoBlueWolverine.com Jan 7, 2006

Jai Eugene a 5'11 185 4.45 CB from Destrehan, Louisiana, Scout.com’s #30 prospect, has just picked Michigan during the U.S. Army All-American Bowl game today (Saturday).

In the end, Eugene picked Michigan over LSU.

Eugene has a two-year old son, pictured above with Jai on the practice field this week, and Jai told us on Monday, "If I decide to go out of state I have great parents who will watch my son, and he'll be able to come see me ... In the end I have to make the best decision for me, and if I decide to go out of state I'll make sure that everything is taken care of."

Eugene is the best pure cover corner on either team in the Army Game. He has the instinctive ability to cover that cannot be taught.

Is he a 4.40 blazer? No.

Is he a ferocious hitter? No.

He is a COVER corner -- the only one on the field today who has the chance to be able to cover East WR Percy Harvin.

http://michigan.scout.com/2/486455.html

284476.jpg

:headbang :headbang

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 04:13 PM)
Rex, it wasn't specifically about those comments, I was just stating in general that Lemming is a big ND fan. But more to the point, Lemming has stated several times that Mustain is ND's to lose, it almost seems that he believes ND is too good to offer the national player of the year because of previous commitments. Whenever a player of Mustain's caliber wants to come, there's going to be room, no matter who's feelings get hurt. I also think its a very bad idea to not get atleast a QB in each class to build depth.

I don't think Mustain is that much better than what ND has committed. Certainly in the AA game, I thought Frazer played better and showed a better arm, although that is one game. At most, it's the difference between getting an 'A' QB and an 'A+' QB and even though labels are somewhat debatable. Who knows, Jones might even end up being the best QB out of the three. Not that I don't want Mustain and it definitely seems like he would go to ND if he could, but I just don't see things working out that way at the moment.

If Mustain played DT on the other hand...

Yeah, Mustain looked atrocious in the game, but it had to be a case of nerves because almost all of his throws were high. Jevan Sneed by far looked the best, with Tim Tebow and Zach Frazer a distant 2nd to me. I was pretty dissapointed in this years game, the offenses were completely out of sinc outside of Wells rushing. The WR's in particular didn't do much for me. Percy Harvin has amazing athleticism, but not much going on in his head, which is very sad.

But overall, I thought this was the weakest WR, TE, and QB group in a few years. The LB's, DE's, and OL were impressive. Just to re-state my amazement again, USC has 14 commits... 9!!! are ranked in the top 100, and their average star ranking is 4.36, and they are still in the top 5 of 11 more 5 star players. Poor, poor USC, if they only get 4 star players the rest of the way, their star rankings will drop.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 10:33 PM)
Yeah, Mustain looked atrocious in the game, but it had to be a case of nerves because almost all of his throws were high. Jevan Sneed by far looked the best, with Tim Tebow and Zach Frazer a distant 2nd to me. I was pretty dissapointed in this years game, the offenses were completely out of sinc outside of Wells rushing. The WR's in particular didn't do much for me. Percy Harvin has amazing athleticism, but not much going on in his head, which is very sad.

But overall, I thought this was the weakest WR, TE, and QB group in a few years. The LB's, DE's, and OL were impressive. Just to re-state my amazement again, USC has 14 commits... 9!!! are ranked in the top 100, and their average star ranking is 4.36, and they are still in the top 5 of 11 more 5 star players. Poor, poor USC, if they only get 4 star players the rest of the way, their star rankings will drop.

I think the thing to be aware of is that this type of AA game also favors defensive players as the offensive guys typically are not on the same page after limited practices together.

That said, USC's class will be great as always, but I believe ND had just as many players play in that game (although I heard a rumor that Carroll tells his silent commits to wait until the game to announce so other coaches waste their recruiting time on them).

Leon Freeman, a 6'4 2 guard/wing from Michigan and a class of 2006 prospect, has listed the Illini and Michigan State as his 2 favorites. He is a candidate for Mr. Basketball in Michigan, and is a Rivals 150 player (3 stars, #147) and a 4 star player on scout. Just another name in the several guards the Illini are looking at as potential spring signees in the class of 2006.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 09:42 AM)
Couple days old, but wasn't posted in here.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-06...hool-newspapers

Some good recruiting stuff in there, mainly that 4 star OL Ramone Johnson of Morgan Park has narrowed his list to the Illini and Tennessee.

That would be a BIG get. :headbang

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 06:20 PM)
I can't wait to see the surprises Zook has up his sleeve between now and signing day on February 1st.  I also can't wait to see just how many guys we sign, probably a number in the 30's...

Firing Mallory as DC was as big as any recruit he may land.

Zooker and the Illini have a few visitors heading to town this weekend:

1. WR Anthony Jones: 6'0/164/4.57. 3 star on Rivals, #46 WR, was preseason #31 player from Florida before transfering to Arlington, Texas for senior season. Lists Illini and Tennessee as co-favorites.

2. S Donsay Hardeman: 6'1/192/4.74. 3 star on Rivals, #33 Safety, preseason #62 player in the state of Florida (Jacksonville). Lists Illini as favorite.

3. WR Devin Parrish: 6'0/155/4.48. 3 star on Rivals, unranked nationally and in state (Florida, Miramar). Lists Illini as favorite.

Interesting to see if any/all give the Illini verbals after visiting, as they all have Illinois very high on their lists. Lord knows Zooker could use some more of those "speed state" recruits, although I'm not sure how many schollies we have left, can't be many.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Also, looks like you guys have Lamont Thomas, a JC safety visiting, 5-11 205, 4.50. Looks like you guys have 26 commits so far, and depending on how much house cleaning Zook has already done, I would be 30 commits would be the ceiling, especially with commits that can enroll in January, or be sent off to prep school for a year. You might see 1 or 2 guys commit this weekend, but I know for sure there will atleast be a scholly held for Ramone Johnson visiting next weekend.

Actually, after further review, check out next weeks Illini visitor list:

http://illinois.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=500613

Ramone Johnson: 4 star OL

Kenny Britt: 4 star WR

Jeff Cumberland: 4 star ATH

Chris Duvalt: 4 star CB

Michael Crabtree: 4 star ATH

Plus, 2 star ATH Michael Johnson of Texas (has 4.44 speed) and a top 25 player in Ohio, DB Ray Fisher....who are not listed in that article.

:cheers :cheers

This thread is the epitome of hope springs eternal. I hope that Zook can bring some respectability to the Illinois program, but I think that the best hope is that he gets the Illini to the middle of the pack, where hopefully they can get a better coach.

It is not about recruiting with Zook, it is about coaching. At Florida, he had superstars, and he lost 13 games in 3 seasons, compared to Spurrier losing less than 30 in 12 seasons.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
This thread is the epitomy of home springs eternal. I hope that Zook can bring some respectability to the Illinois program, but I think that the best hope is that he gets the Illini to the middle of the pack, where hopefully they can get a better coach.

It is not about recruiting with Zook, it is about coaching. At Florida, he had superstars, and he lost 13 games in 3 seasons, compared to Spurrier losing less than 30 in 12 seasons.

Once again, you've hit the nail squarely on the head. Zook is a loser. He loses. That is his business...and business is good.

You hope he brings some recruits in and proves the University of Illinois can compete with the likes of a Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio St. in the Big Ten, but it ends there. I have no faith in his ability to coach. He may be able to sweet-talk the best prospects in the nation, but, if you can not coach these prospects in a way that results in wins, what good is it? The University of Florida realized this and realized it early. You can take a look at his recruits and recruiting classes, they were top-notch at Florida. The Florida brass pegged this guy as a loser early on and they were quick to give him the boot. Who did they bring in? Urban. A guy that has a reputation as both a great recruiter and an exceptional coach/play-caller.

If the University of Illinois is happy being a basketball school and they are serious in competing with national powerhouses like Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, NC, etc. year-in-and-year-out and they are very satisfied with an average or below average football team, Zook is their guy.

I have no faith in him on Saturday mornings. Zero.

Edited by AddisonStSox

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 05:13 PM)
s***ty coaching of awesome players > Decent coaching of s***ty players

Fact of the matter this football program is significantly better with Zook over Turner.

Bingo. People fail to realize how big a deal a 6-5 season and bowl bid would be in Champaign. Mediocre would be a tenfold improvement.

I already said that:

but I think that the best hope is that he gets the Illini to the middle of the pack, where hopefully they can get a better coach.

And I disagree about s***ty coaching of awesome players versus decent coaching of s***ty players.

First of all, Zook is not getting awesome players. He is getting decent to good players, this is not a USC, FSU, megaclass where you are looking at multiple first round selections.

Second, your statement is not a mirror, it should be awesome coaching of s***ty players versus s***ty coaching of awesome players. And in that case I think that awesome coaching will generally win out. When you look at the college game, recruiting is a huge part. But system is a huge part as well. In my opinion Zook just does not have a good system, and that is inexcusable coming from Spurrier (who I hate) who had one of the best systems.