Worst Films of 2005

White Sox Josh

QUOTE(TheBlackSox8 @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 08:04 PM)
Kojima isn't that stupid.....Kojima said he would give it to someone worth giving.....I don't see that series being made into a movie anyway :pray

He wasn't gonna get far cry either i believe.

Nothing surprises me with him. He is a smart man and usually gets his way.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 12:22 PM)
War of the Worlds was definately dissapointed and it was the worst movie I saw of 2005. The boy goes off on a death mission and everyone is dying but he managed to live somehow along with Tom Cruise and his daughter, make it real please.

To expand on that for a moment how about the way that Cruise and his daughter find their way to the only neighborhood on the entire eastern seaboard that was untouched by the aliens and their death rays and that just so happens to be the one where his family lives. Totally unrealistic and stupid.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 11:27 AM)
My Top 5 Worst movies of 2005 are:

1. Wolf Creek

2. Yours, Mine & Ours

3. Transporter 2

4. Brokeback Mountain

5. Memoirs of a Geisha (my mom made me see it with her for her birthday)

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 07:34 PM)
I agree about Heath Ledger and would also add Michelle Willaims to that.

4th worst movie of the year. and 2. TWO! actors should warrant Oscar consideration?

Pick a lane.

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 09:07 PM)
He wasn't gonna get far cry either i believe.

Nothing surprises me with him. He is a smart man and usually gets his way.

Uwe Boll Tax Loophole

this link is actually a good read....clever. I am rooting for the loophole to fix itself before Boll can ruin Hitman, or FarCry or any other fine video game adaptations.

Edited by TheBlackSox8

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 08:34 PM)
What did you expect going into Jarhead?  An action movie right?

Not a straight up action flick but something along the lines of Full Metal Jacket. I read enough about the film beforehand to know that it was not going to be like that, but I watched it anyways. It's something I wish I had rented.

I'm usually pretty picky about seeing movies. I usually do some research before I go to the theaters, just to make sure I'm not wasting my money. And consequently, I rarely see a film that I think is god aweful. This year, I felt that the critics have only severely mislead me on one movie: Broken Flowers.

I'm not so sure it was a terrible movie, but I failed to see anything resembling a point. Its like they took Lost in Translation (to use another Bill Murray movie) and took away the intriguing relationship between two characters. Its basically Bill Murray wandering aimlessly in planes and automobiles (no trains) and thats basically how the movie ends.

I didn't leave the movie thinking what a horrible peice of crap I just saw. I just left trying to remember any particular moment or scene that stood out as important or interesting. Just 90 minutes of nothingness.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 10:38 PM)
Ever hear of not liking the movie but thinking the performances are very good.

no.

May I ask what prompted you to go to the gay cowboy movie in the first place? I mean, you had to know it was a gay cowboy movie before you went. So one would suspect that it wasn't the plot line that you found unsatisfactory. I know it wasn't the actors because you specifically stated. so It must have been the cinematography. Perhaps the musical score.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 10:49 PM)
no.

May I ask what prompted you to go to the gay cowboy movie in the first place? I mean, you had to know it was a gay cowboy movie before you went. So one would suspect that it wasn't the plot line that you found unsatisfactory. I know it wasn't the actors because you specifically stated. so It must have been the cinematography. Perhaps the musical score.

4 things:

1. The Screenplay was awful. It's like an over the top action picture.

2. We never get a reason why they like each other. They just fall for each other. There has to be a reason. We are just supposed to assume that they love each other. In a not so serious movie this might be ok but they are playing it off as a drama.

3. The movie is confused. I think it tries to send the message that being gay is all right and that you should follow what your heart does. However this almost sends off a message about how being gay is wrong and that you shouldn't follow your feelings.

4. They try to hard. It seems everything is set up. A good drama doesn't try to hard to be powerful. It almost seems forced. It trys so hard to be dramatic and powerful that it almost becomes comic.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 11:27 PM)
The Straight Dude's Guide to 'Brokeback'

Worth a read if you find yourself being dragged to this movie. The main reason being Anne Hathaway.

if the girlfriend loves Gyllenhaal she should see Jarhead instead. He is much better in that and that is a much better movie.

has anyone stopped to ask, exactly how many real life gay cowboys are there? is this a story that "MUST BE TOLD?"

I'm pretty sure if this were two wall street workers no one would care...and even less if they were actors playing actors.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 11:29 PM)
Josh, Gene Civic Cheat is upset because he is a gay cowboy himself.

What is this, post #300 from you not-so-subtly calling me gay?

It's old. We get it. You're homophobic. You don't like me. Therefore, I must be gay.

Passive aggressive green text is so 2004.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 12:39 AM)
What is this, post #300 from you not-so-subtly calling me gay?

It's old. We get it. You're homophobic. You don't like me. Therefore, I must be gay.

Passive aggressive green text is so 2004.

I guess we'll skip over your condescending post towards WSJosh...

think what you want dude.

Jeffery Westhoff of The Northwest Herald had an interesting review of Brokebacl Mountain. Maybe one of you who have seen it can tell me how well he hits the nail on the head:

If the filmmakers weren’t trying so hard to deny the characters' failings, Brokeback Mountain might have lived up to its immense reputation.

Since its premiere at the Cannes Film Festival, “Brokeback Mountain” has been referred to as “the gay cowboy movie” so regularly people may think that is the official subtitle.

It is also inaccurate. Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal’s characters herd sheep, not cattle, in the early portion of the story. Technically this is the gay sheepboy movie, but that doesn’t have quite the same ring.

The film, directed by Ang Lee (“Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon”), also has been described as a Western and a love story. Neither of those descriptions gets it right, either. “Western” implies that it takes place in the Old West, but the story begins in the early 1960s and lasts until the early 1980s. And it isn’t a love story so much as an inability to love story.

The story opens in Wyoming where 19-year-old drifters Ennis Del Mar (Ledger) and Jack Twist (Gylenhaal) are hired on by sheepherder Joe Aguirre (Randy Quaid). Aguirre’s flock is on Brokeback Mountain, so he needs one man to camp at the foot of the mountain and the other up in the hills with the sheep.

Ennis is silent and macho. Jack is talkative and inclined toward sexual experimentation. He makes a move on Ennis. Ennis resists, but only briefly, and soon Ledger and Gyllenhaal engage in a very brave (but discreetly photographed) sex scene.

If it weren’t for this scene, which lasts about 30 seconds, I doubt anyone would be paying any attention to “Brokeback Mountain.” Yet one moment of daring does not erase the film’s many mundane passages or moral misdirection.

The nature of their sexuality aside, Ennis and Jack are oblivious to the negative impact their relationship has on other people. When they begin their affair they share the tent at the bottom of Brokeback Mountain. They ignore their duty to watch the sheep at night, allowing wolves and coyotes to feast on their boss’ herd.

The movie tries to dodge these implications of neglect by portraying Aguirre as a bigot, but the fact is that his livestock died because the men he hired didn’t do their jobs.

After leaving Brokeback, Ennis and Jack return to their old lives. Ennis marries Alma (Michelle Williams) and quickly has two daughters. Jack goes back on the rodeo circuit, and eventually is lassoed by aggressive cowgirl Lurene (Anne Hathaway). They have a son.

Incidentally, Williams and Hathaway are the only performers to show frontal nudity, probably as a hedge against the film being considered too gay.

After several years, Ennis and Jake resume their affair through occasional camping trips. They tell their wives they are fishing buddies, although Alma notes that Ennis never uses his fishing equipment. She already has spotted her husband making out with Jack, though, and suffers this humiliation in silence.

Williams gives the most sympathetic performance, followed closely by Linda Cardellini (“E.R.”), who plays Ennis’ post-divorce girlfriend. The emotional damage he does to these women, however unintended, makes Ennis a jerk as well as a tragic figure.

These women love him deeply (which Cardellini proves in a single knockout scene), but Ennis cannot reciprocate because he loves Jack. He is afraid to reveal this love openly, though, because he fears a homophobic mob will lynch them. Because Ennis lives in the same country where Matthew Shepard was murdered, his fears are justified.

Jack is a more straightforward character. He tells Ennis during their first summer on Brokeback Mountain that they should buy a ranch together. But that straightforwardness also makes Jack more wantonly selfish. Even after both men are married he continues to pressure Ennis to start their own life together. Jack does not appear to care if his desires hurt the other people in his life, including Ennis.

Believe it or not, this story is not unlike the relationship between Chow Yun Fat and Michelle Yeoh in Lee’s “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.” Like Chow’s character, Ennis sublimates his emotions and denies a love he believes is forbidden.

Ennis also is like the characters Nicolas Cage and David Schwimmer play in “The Weather Man” and “Duane Hopwood,” respectively. Each man allows his livelihood and relationships to crumble through self-doubt and denial.

Ennis’ tragedy is that he cannot find the courage to admit to the world (and probably himself) that he is gay. Ledger conveys this through terse mumbling that unfortunately sounds too much like Billy Bob Thornton in “Sling Blade.”

Novelist Larry McMurtry (“Lonesome Dove”) and Diana Ossana adapted the screenplay from a short story by Annie Proulx (“The Shipping News”). The inclusion of these respected writers in the credits is the producers’ rationale for spending more than two hours to reach a literary non-ending and pretentiously symbolic final shot (Ennis shutting a closet door).

The story of Ennis Del Mar is tragic one, but his traits are more pathetic than noble. If the filmmakers weren’t trying so hard to deny his failings, “Brokeback Mountain” might have lived up to its immense reputation.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 09:16 AM)
One movie I wanted to throw out there, I am not sure if it is 2005 or not, but is Life Aquatic.  That was the first Bill Murray movie I have ever hated.  Horrible.

I dont know if it was 2005, but I agree. I am hit or miss with Wes Anderson movies. Rushmore, didnt like so much. Royal Tenenbaums, I f***ing loved that movie. Life Aquatic, back to not liking it.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 12:27 PM)
My Top 5 Worst movies of 2005 are:

1. Wolf Creek

2. Yours, Mine & Ours

3. Transporter 2

4. Brokeback Mountain

5. Memoirs of a Geisha (my mom made me see it with her for her birthday)

Did you actually see all of these or is list this from a website?